Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Basic tools/ spare parts

943 views 16 replies 10 participants last post by  harry2110 
#1 ·
I just bought my first "real" xc bike and was wondering what basic spare parts/tools i should cary with me on longer rides (15-20 miles). I currently have a pump, patch kit, spare tubes, and the little levers to get your tire off. By the way my bike is a 9 speed.
Thanks

#2 ·
Congrats :)

My ride kit (I typically ride 3-6 hrs per trip, unfortunately generally alone, AND I bike to the trail head...ie: REALLY REALLY *BIG* problems should something go wrong):

Tube
patch kit
tire levers
pump

AND...

multitool (3 basic allen wrench sizes + philips + flathead)
small bottle of lube (probably not really necessary)
Spare disk pads (also probably overkill if you keep a good eye on the bike at home, but I have spares and they are light and small; might as well carry them!)
Spare Powerlink (SRAM chain)
Shock pump (not always)

FIRST AID KIT (I make my own so I know I have plenty of gauze and bandaging material + it's cheaper overall)
$20 cash
credit card
ID
Insurance card

Food (carbs + sugar. I take what I plan on eating + at least one emergency cliff bar)

Water (3 liter camelbak, generally always full when I leave)

What I really should also take and need to go get!:
Duct tape
cable ties (handy for jerryrigging a messed up drivetrain to get you out; or so I'm told. I haven't had to test the theory and don't want to!)

#6 ·
I. spare derailleur-hanger (especially if you ride where sticks/roots/deep-ruts are common).

II. extra links of chain (you've likely removed these from the last time you replaced your chain. . . right? Right?) The inspiration for this suggestion is simple; it's small enough to take along and, should you torque a link(s) so hard it bends needing removal, you'll still have the spares in your Camelback (you've got one right?). Um, yeah, if you don't have a chain-tool in your "rescue-kit"....

III. Use a partially-used roll of duct-tape. The roll is easy to squash - making it portable.

IV. 2-3 zip-ties: ...trust me!

V. ...mentioned it before but it's such a good idea that I'll risk the redundancy - grab an 8oz. Red-Bull and pack it horizontally across the top of the bladder of your Camelback (on the inside) so you have a "pick-me-up" just in case you bonk.

VI. No, I'm not a sales-rep for Camelback.

#11 ·
xenon said:
If you have sealant in your tubes, you'll need some solvent (like pure benzine, acetone or pure alcohol) and a small piece of cloth to clean the tube before patching. Also, for Schraeder valves it is a good idea to carry a valve wrench.
Would rubbing alcohol in the little wipes work? If not would denatured alcohol (the kind used for paint thinner) work? I do have sealent in my tubes

#12 ·
papago warrior said:
Would rubbing alcohol in the little wipes work? If not would denatured alcohol (the kind used for paint thinner) work? I do have sealent in my tubes
I am not sure about the wipes. They may not contain enough alcohol for good cleaning. Denaturated 95% should work. I have used even drinking 95% alcohol and it did the job just fine. Pure benzine is the best though.

#16 ·
I under carry compared to all of the posts thus far and I haven't had a problem yet. I take a spare tube, mutli tool that includes a chain tool and tire levers plus other stuff I've never used, power link this will work with your shimano chain and make chain problems a breeze, and a pump. That will get you out of 99% of the binds. Somtimes I take a gel on the fast group rides, but if I eat good I won't need it. For longer rides 2 hours or more or if I'm doing a ride I've never done before I take my camelbak which has my map of the local area, compass, whistle, first aid kit, patch kit, and all the stuff I mentioned earlier. I also take some food such as an apple and a cliff bar. I take some extra co2 for my pump on these longer rides as well.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.