Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Cracked Flux... Warranty?

1K views 14 replies 8 participants last post by  cactuscorn 
#1 ·
Today while loading my 05 Flux I noticed a crack on the seat tube near the bottom of the rear shock mount. The crack begins on the weld and extends horizontally across the seat tube for about half a centimeter. There is a very small dimple in the crack area as well. The bike has never been wrecked and besides my new crack, it is in perfect condition.

I showed the bike to a riding buddy, who is a former experienced shop mechanic, and he said the crack was certainly a manufacturing defect (due to the location and nature of the crack) and he advised me to file a warranty claim with Turner and not ride the bike that day. The bike is now at a Turner dealer, who also confirmed that there is a crack and is going to call Turner on Monday to place a warranty claim.

A couple of questions:

The shop thought that there was only a 2 year warranty on 05 frames, but I remember it being longer at the time I purchased the frame. Anyone know what the warranty is?

Even if the warranty is expired, are manufacturing defects sometimes covered past the warranty period?

My only experience with the Turner factory relates to shortly after buying my Flux, I noticed a very slightly indented area of the seat tube near the top tube (this is in a different area on the seat tube, but could it be related to my new crack?). I was in the area a couple of days later for work so I stopped by the Turner factory and talked with Greg. Greg indicated that the indention was probably the result of the tube being heated while welding and that it was probably nothing to worry about. He did indicate that if it got worse, they would replace that front triangle.

After such a positive experience with Greg and the Turner factory, I realized I made a smart choice in buying a Turner. Anyway, I hope that I get the same response this time!

Hawk

See less See more
#3 ·
Turner Limited 3 Year Frame Warranty (Five Spot, Flux, RFX, Sultan, Highline)

Turner will repair or replace any of the above listed frames, if we determine it to be defective due to materials and /or workmanship. This 3 year warranty applies to the frameset only (not including suspension components), ridden under normal conditions, properly maintained and is transferable with original receipt.

Turner No Fault Replacement Policy (All Frames)

Turner Bikes will make replacement parts available at a minimum charge in the event of a crash or other non-warranty situation. This replacement policy is good for all frames including those who have purchased their frames new or used. This policy includes a frame trade in program allowing a current Turner frame owner to send in their old frame and receive a $500 credit off of the M.S.R.P of a brand new frame. The frame trade in policy is extended to all Turner frames regardless of age or condition.

and theres this: good luck.

#6 ·
OP, can't speak for Turner directly, but they take care of these types of issues in virtually every instance per cc's post above.

Note that the 08 Flux lower shock mounts are beefier and bring the downtube into the structure. You may want to run a search on this forum, there may be similar issues on the prior Flux versions.

Below is description from Comp Cyclist on the 08 Flux:

"Whoa! Nitrous, you say? That cross-country-rocket-of-a-bike? No worries, it's got plenty of beef -- even more than last year in fact. Dave and company have been testing this for better than a year, and it's stronger than the 2007 version, and sheds better than a quarter pound in the process. 2008's heftier rockers add a few of those grams back, but in the end, we still find ourselves 112 grams better off. Not bad in a year's work. A la the Nitrous, the lower shock tabs have been moved from the seatube to the juncture of the down and seattubes -- this with one purpose in mind: make the bike tougher by removing stress from the seattube."

#7 ·
Thank you for all of your responses. Based on what you all have said, it looks like I am in the 3 year warranty window, but just barely. I am in a bit of a pickle though because I can't find my sales receipt. I am normally really good about keeping receipts on big ticket items, but so far, I haven't found it in any of the storage containers that I have searched. I'll look some more tomorrow... :(

This is my first broken frame and the suckiness of it is starting to set in.

Hawk

#10 ·
Just a quick update...

Turner sent me an 08 Flux front triangle and 08 rockers under warranty. I didn't have a problem with the rockers, but Turner sent the updated 08 rockers because there apparently had been cracking problems on a few of the older design. This is an example of a company going out of their way to make sure one of their customers is 110% satisfied. My bike is back together and everything looks good.

So to anyone out there deciding on which brand bike to buy:

This is why you buy a Turner... an American made bike that is of the highest quality, but if anything was to ever go wrong, the company goes out of their way to make the situation right.

Hawk

#13 ·
both those drivers were at fault, not the trains. it wasnt the manufacturers fault 1 guy decided to drive it through a hole in the wall nor was it a warranty when the 2nd guy went for a techy section of track that was way over his head and beyond the capabilities of his equipment.

#14 ·
Whah, they pulled that 2nd EW thread!

Since RRX created it I'm sure it was his option to delete it. Considering the debacle it quickly became (how could it not) I'm not suprised. Really, he ran into that wall full sprint, eyes open.

Shame it had to go as it was a very good example of how NOT to improve customer relations.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.