Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Good tutorials on derailleur tuning?

844 views 8 replies 8 participants last post by  xenon 
#1 ·
I just got a diamondback with SR SunTour XCM202 front and Shimano Alivio rear deraileurs and I can't get it to shift properly. The chain either falls off one end, gets stuck in between two gears, or, even when it is working, it seems to take several pedal cycles to shift.

I've been using this: http://www.parktool.com/repair/readhowto.asp?id=75

but every time I fix one problem (the chain falling off on outside), another one seems to occur (chain rubs on inner side).

Is there any order I should go about adjusting it?

I know I could take it to a shop but I'd like to do it myself if possible.

#3 ·
Youtube. Seriously youtube.

Search "derailleur tuning" You'll get tons of results. Watch a few, favorite the ones you like, keep watching till you get it down....at least in memory...

#7 ·
I take it your using the corrisponding shifters for these derailleurs right? Because, you cant use a Suntour shifter for a Shimano derailleur, or vice versa...wont work. The shifters and derailleurs need to be matched with the same brand. Shimano derailleur with Shimano shifter or Suntour derailleur with Suntour shifter. You didnt not say in your post what shifters you have?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.