Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Cold weather gear - Am I on the right track?

2K views 29 replies 18 participants last post by  mwmtb 
#1 · (Edited)
I've been mountain biking for roughly 2 or 3 years now and this year I decided I want to ride throughout the colder months here in Kentucky. So far we've had an inch or so of snow and it's probably been at the coldest in the teens. If you have any relevant suggestion please list them and post a link or a picture. I've read a few threads on this topic, but I'm not familiar with the item they're talking about. I would like to get effective non bike specific clothing if at all possible.

Here's what I currnetly wear
http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=5555395 this long sleeve wicking shirt as a baselayer
I also have this same material pant
http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=10263202
This is my pant with elastic at the ankles
I also have a jacket by Louis Garneau. It has zip off sleeves, rear pocket, windproof, waterproof, and rear vents. I'm not sure if it is vented under the arms.
I have hiking wool socks that I got at wal-mart as well that work great.
Last I have a simple beanie.

Questions: Sorry for the long post, but I'm trying to be detailed.
Gloves and shoe covers I'm just not sure about. If I can still find them I have some army issued trigger finger mittens with wool insert. I used while riding my atv in the winter so they may be too warm. I just know my full finger mechanix gloves aren't going to be good enough. Edit: I found a link to them http://www.loadup.com/static/270.html
For a shoe cover should I get something like this, save up for some lake boots, or just wear my insulated hunting boots with flat pedals.
http://www.performancebike.com/shop/profile.cfm?SKU=24344&subcategory_ID=1344
The wool socks seem to work great thus far, but I don't believe I've been out in 35 degree temps or less with only them. It just got cold extremely fast in the last couple of weeks.
Should I just put tape over the vent holes in my helmet?
What temp would it have to be for a balaclava?

Edit: What's a good wind blocking pant to go over my baselayer. So far I've just been using some windproof athletic style pants or jogging pants. I thought about sewing velecro on the athletic pants so they won't get caught in my big chainring, but haven't bothered since the jogging pants work.

Last I'll probably be riding mostly fireroads unless it's frozen so I can ride the trails if they're not destroyed by the horses. Oh yea, I'm trying to do this as effictively and cheap as I can. I just graduated college and will be returning for grad school so I don't have a lot of money. Thanks in advance.

See less See more
#2 ·
Sounds similar to what I ride in. I have a base layer from target and wear insulated jogging pants. Rubber bands around the cuffs also keep the pants out of the chain ring. I also have a long sleeve jersey and a soft shell jacket from SAC.

I've been thinking about attaching some pieces of fleece to the straps on my helmet as ear covers, like my ski helmet. Duck tape over the vents works well to plug them up. I'd wear the balaclava in the teens if it was windy.

As for shoes, you might not have much luck with hiking boots and flat pedals. The lugs in the soles might be too deep for the pins in the pedal to dig in, making you slip around. Try it for yourself, it depends on the pedals and shoes you have.

#3 ·
Thanks for the response. Very good point about the boots. Mine are covered with lugs, but if I can't come up with something else I'll give it a shot. I found something to put under my helmet at home today. I believe it was designed to go under a hard hat. I don't believe it's cotton. I'll have to give it a try to see what happens. It should be fleece according to what I just found. Here's a picture of something very similar. I do plan on cutting the buttons off so my helmet won't push them into the side of my head. http://www.gemplers.com/product/HP250/Twill-Hard-Hat-Liner-Fleece-Lining

#4 ·
For winter shoes you might take a look at the Answer winter boots which with a steep discount will probably run $100 or so. Those should be good to 30 degrees or so. For winter riding tights look at Nashbar and maybe find something lined with a steep discount. For a really decent winter riding jacket find something that has a mesh lining and several vented zippered openings. A good jacket probably has an MSRP of $150-$180. You can find one for a lot less at the REI outlet. Look through the winter clothes at the outlet and you might be able to find one in the $80 range. You can adapt all the winter sports clothes which is typically used for skiing or shoeshoeing to winter biking for less than some of the bike specific clothes.

#5 ·
try the Under Armor tights for pants. I picked some up a few weeks back that are very nice - lined with a fleece like material and I've worn them in 30 degree weather a few times and they seem to block the breeze while riding/jogging. they are tight fitting, but this allows you to put over some riding shorts or other loose fitting pants.

#6 ·
barelfly said:
try the Under Armor tights for pants. I picked some up a few weeks back that are very nice - lined with a fleece like material and I've worn them in 30 degree weather a few times and they seem to block the breeze while riding/jogging. they are tight fitting, but this allows you to put over some riding shorts or other loose fitting pants.
I may be wrong, but those pants sound very similar to the ones I have a link to above. Mine are a compression pant that has a polyester lining. I've used mine in the lower 40's without a problem. I need to find a better shoe before I ride lower than that. Would 2 pair of wool socks and a type of cover work? I can't afford a pair of specific winter riding shoes at this time. I'm going to add them to my need to get as soon as I can list.

#7 ·
what i have now is a windproof waterproof jacket, slim profile ski pant, under armor all over. i can wear anything under the jacket depending on temps. so far the lowest temp i've been out in was low 20's (nighttime), no trouble. as for shoes, if you're riding clip-ins, it gets pricey, if flats, i just have a pair of vans that can accomodate my foot with two socks(wool+synthetic).

#8 ·
Rod,

those could be very similar - only you saved a butt-load of money! I didn't look at them earlier.

As for shoes, you have to be careful with how thick your socks are in your shoes. If you wear to thick and limit the ability of moving your toes, your feet will get colder. Nepernesu had a good idea with the wool + synthetic. When I fly fish in the winter, I wear a smart wool sock with a synthetic liner sock under. So, really still just one thick sock is all i'm wearing. Try something like that for your feet.

But just make sure you can wiggle your toes with whatever you are wearing.

#9 ·
If you decide to try neoprene (or other material) boots over your shoes you need to take your shoes to a store and try to fit them in the over boots. You usually need a size much larger then what the manufacturers literature would make you think.

Get one with a rubber sole that will hold up to a little walking. They do extend the warmth of your shoes quit a bit.

#10 ·
barelfly said:
Thats what I wear here in the Gap for biking when the weather is in the 40"s. On top I wear a UA cold gear top w/ some kind of windbreaker or another fleece top. I stay pretty comfortable, but go with the layer approach to cool down quick and maintain heat.

#11 ·
barelfly said:
Rod,

those could be very similar - only you saved a butt-load of money! I didn't look at them earlier.

As for shoes, you have to be careful with how thick your socks are in your shoes. If you wear to thick and limit the ability of moving your toes, your feet will get colder. Nepernesu had a good idea with the wool + synthetic. When I fly fish in the winter, I wear a smart wool sock with a synthetic liner sock under. So, really still just one thick sock is all i'm wearing. Try something like that for your feet.

But just make sure you can wiggle your toes with whatever you are wearing.
Alright, I'll have to find a synthetic sock. We have a local place that may sell them. I will definitely give that a shot. I'm very happy with the pant that I picked up. I looked forever before I just happened to see them one day at wal-mart. I rode them in the lower 40's without a wind stopper over them and my leg was sweating. The only small downfall is they're so small at the bottom, so they won't slide up your leg, that they'll barely go over my size 12 foot. Hopefully the synthetic sock, wool sock, and some type of wind blocker over my should will work. If not I'll try to find a deal on an insulated shoe at the end of the winter. The more I think about riding in my hiking boots the more I think it's a bad idea.

#12 ·
gmcttr said:
If you decide to try neoprene (or other material) boots over your shoes you need to take your shoes to a store and try to fit them in the over boots. You usually need a size much larger then what the manufacturers literature would make you think.

Get one with a rubber sole that will hold up to a little walking. They do extend the warmth of your shoes quit a bit.
Thanks a lot for the heads up. After your review I found another review of the bootie that said the exact same thing. They used a size 12 for a size 9.5 or 10 shoe so I may need a size 13 or 14 bootie. I'm going to call performance so I don't have to drive 2 hours away so they can tell me the proper size to order.

#13 ·
do you have "big5" stores where you live? i was really surprised at how much wicking cold weather (and warm weather) gear they had.. for stupid cheap. its not bike specific, but its damn near identical and about 1/10th the price. their gear ended up cheaper than walmart stuff, and of bike shop quality.

#14 ·
tomsmoto said:
do you have "big5" stores where you live? i was really surprised at how much wicking cold weather (and warm weather) gear they had.. for stupid cheap. its not bike specific, but its damn near identical and about 1/10th the price. their gear ended up cheaper than walmart stuff, and of bike shop quality.
I just looked them up online and it seems they're in the western half of the u.s. and I'm in Kentucky. Could you post a few links of the items that you have that have worked and if the sizing is accurate. If it's that cheap I'll order some stuff from them whenever I get the money.

#15 ·
For 2 - 3 hour gravel rides, I've been wearing two pairs of wool socks, a pair of keen sandals and some nashbar shoe covers. As long as it's not wet, those have worked out OK down to about 25F. I usually wear a layer of wool as a base, then a jersey (long or short sleeved), and then a thicker hiking coat (Mountain Hardware) or a long sleeve windproof cycling jersey, again down to 25F or so. On my legs, shorts, leg warmers and then a set of Pearlizumi tights. After a point, how warm you are is going to depend on how much work you're doing when you're riding and how much wind you are in

#16 ·
sfuller said:
For 2 - 3 hour gravel rides, I've been wearing two pairs of wool socks, a pair of keen sandals and some nashbar shoe covers. As long as it's not wet, those have worked out OK down to about 25F. I usually wear a layer of wool as a base, then a jersey (long or short sleeved), and then a thicker hiking coat (Mountain Hardware) or a long sleeve windproof cycling jersey, again down to 25F or so. On my legs, shorts, leg warmers and then a set of Pearlizumi tights. After a point, how warm you are is going to depend on how much work you're doing when you're riding and how much wind you are in
Thanks a lot for the informative post.

#17 · (Edited)
I ride year-round in Louisville, and I usually have a harder time trying not to overheat in winter. Usually I just wear my waterproof/windproof cycling jacket and change the base for varying cold. Generally, I'm comfortable with just a wicking layer under the jacket and add a fleece when the temps dip into the teens and twenties. I usually just wear warm-up pants over my cycling shorts. I have running tights that I wear when it gets really cold. 99% I just wear whatever socks I'd usually wear cycling, but sometimes wear light wool/synthetic blend when it gets really cold. I also have a Louis Garneau headband that I really like since it still allows the head to cool off a bit on top, but warms the rest of the head. I usually start out my rides a bit cold, but then warm up as I go. My goal is not to stay comfortable, but not too warm.

#18 ·
Rod said:
I just looked them up online and it seems they're in the western half of the u.s. and I'm in Kentucky. Could you post a few links of the items that you have that have worked and if the sizing is accurate. If it's that cheap I'll order some stuff from them whenever I get the money.
they sell a lot of adidas, reebok, nike and underarmor brand stuff. that stuff should be easy to size.

i picked up a fairly thick "russell" (never heard of them) wicking, thick long sleeve for like 10 bucks. i wear a large and its a loose large in that brand. im not even seeing it on the site though.

i have a tendancy to crash and mess my clothes up, id rather wreck a 10 dollar jacket than a 120 dollar one :D

#20 ·
06OutlanderAWD said:
i use under armour cold gear top and bottom....works excellent
What's the difference between Under Armour (the brand) and a cheaper knock-off brand like posted in the first post? I just bought one of the Wal-Mart wicking shirts and it seems to me that it would work really well in the summer more than the winter. It feels like a cold air magnet, not an underlayer that keeps you warm

I guess I don't get it. Does the cheaper one cool you off or keep you warm?

I new to this "Under Armor" stuff......

#21 ·
I rock under armour base layer cold gear. Yes it is pricier, but it works. Keeps the wind out, and keeps my body heat in, which is very very important for me on some trails I ride that are basically nothing but downhill tracks where I have to walk the bike back up. We don't have shuttles here so keeping warm in the winter months is very important. I wear the base winter gear with TLD pants and a long sleeve TLD jersey over it. This combo has proven to keep me very warm. The gloves I use are Fox polarpaw and I use DC AT-2 shoes.

Again, it's pricier stuff, but this is my third season of winter riding with it and it's still good to go. You can layer stuff to keep warm and it works fine, but I hate the bulk personally. Oh, and something to cover your eyes is very important, otherwise you'll just end up in tears as soon as you start a quick trail. Cold air and eyes sucks ass.

#22 · (Edited)
http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=10263214
http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=10263202

I recently bought the Starter Dri Star Cold Weather Gear from Wal-Mart. I happened across it one day and got the top and bottoms. The top was $13.97 and the bottom was the same $13.97. They are very similar to the Under Armour brand in material. It also keeps the warm in and wind out. It is much better than Wal-Marts Athletic Works brand. Like ^^^cyrix^^^, I have been sporting these with only pants and jersey and it works great.

update: after checking the Wal-Mart website, the bottoms are on clearance for $11.00

#23 ·
Ozark-XCrdr said:
What's the difference between Under Armour (the brand) and a cheaper knock-off brand like posted in the first post? I just bought one of the Wal-Mart wicking shirts and it seems to me that it would work really well in the summer more than the winter. It feels like a cold air magnet, not an underlayer that keeps you warm

I guess I don't get it. Does the cheaper one cool you off or keep you warm?

I new to this "Under Armor" stuff......
It works, but you have to have a layer over it to block the wind. That's why we refer to it as the base layer. I can wear the item I posted above and my jacket when it gets down into the 40's. If it gets colder than that I put a polyster jacket over the wicking shirt and it does well. The polyster lined pants work really well to.

#26 ·
I rock under armour base layer cold gear. Yes it is pricier, but it works.
Under armor is awesome stuff - get hot sometimes on hard rides with only a base layer even when its below freezing. Great stuff and doesn't constrict your movement at all. Keeps the wind out too. The worst part about riding in the winter is riding when its really cold with summer (clipless) shoes on... not comfy especially when you forget not to wear cotton socks. That's when riding in the winter really blows.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.