Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Chain Question

842 views 9 replies 8 participants last post by  RudeSechsVibe 
#1 ·
Admitted noob question, need some help from the OGs. Got what appears to be a linkless chain on the new bike and need to get it off for cleaning. Best way to go about this? Break a link and replace with master or cut my frame in half to remove the chain. Am a pretty good tig welder so if I have to cut on the frame no biggie ;) Or, is this one of those optical illusions I am totally missing where linkless can be removed in some other fashion? Thanks players.

#5 ·
mtnbiker72 said:
FYI-you can use a SRAM Powerlink on a Shimano chain to facilitate cleaning. I prefer Shimano chains, but use SRAM Powerlinks on them
I don't think that applies to all the Shimano chains. I bought a SRAM powerlink for a Shimano chain that came with my bike and it did not fit (correct size and all); got a KMC quick link instead and it worked fine. User results vary; try to keep the quick links as the same as the chain manufacturer's to be sure though.

#6 ·
Just cut the frame but don't weld it back up. Just splint it to be able to remove the chain easily in the future (I prefer to use furniture dowling, it's light, cheap and strong - HA I got all three, take that KB).

#9 ·
All 9 speed chains

Ktse said:
I don't think that applies to all the Shimano chains. I bought a SRAM powerlink for a Shimano chain that came with my bike and it did not fit (correct size and all); got a KMC quick link instead and it worked fine. User results vary; try to keep the quick links as the same as the chain manufacturer's to be sure though.
It works on all nine speed Shimano chains...and since Shimano doesn't make quick links its kind of impossible to use a quick link that is made by the chain manufacturer.

7/8 speed Shimano chains will not work with the 8 speed SRAM Powerlink

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.