Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Top tube dented pretty good. Whadya think?

3K views 16 replies 12 participants last post by  Ruebsteak 
#1 ·
This is my 05 Spot which just sustained this unlucky hit to the top tube in a crash. To me it looks like the overall integrity and strength of the frame is OK unless the aluminum starts to split open or it takes another direct hit in the same exact spot. There is no crack or spit though the aluminum is displaying a kind of grainy pattern where it is dented . I hate to see this bike go. Will this deteriorate(or just bust apart) if I keep riding it? Anyone experience a dent like this?

Attachments

See less See more
#8 ·
a dent down in the thicker area of the butting is a very diff story than mid tube where things get thin. that said, its probably ok but id let greg have a peek just to be sure. if it were my call id take my brothers advice given when lookin at my former high school car, a '71 olds delta 88 we called the thailand express: "drive it till it dies." he said. well, it died soon after in the hands of a friend.

#12 ·
I have almost exactly the same dent in the top tube of my 5 Spot. Greg OKed it. It's been there for 2 years I think. No problem at all - though the paint is now starting to lift in the area around the dent. Regardless, your idea to keep a watchful eye on it at first sounds like a good approach.

#17 ·
A friend of mine showed me a technique to remove dents from motorcycle exhaust pipes both 2 and 4 strokes. He removed it and filled it full of water, then stuck it in his freezer and guess what? No more dent. It may not be a perfect fix or an easy one with a bike frame, but I thought it was pretty cool for a dented head pipe. If you know someone with an industrial sized freezer and have a few extra hours to strip your frame, you could freeze it to remove the dent and send it back to Turner to have it recoated in pink.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.