Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Upgrading my 2008 GT Avalanche 3.0

7K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  Swamp Rat 
#1 ·
Ok, so here's the deal, I would like to upgrade my 2008 GT Avalanche bike.

What I would like to know is that if the following components will fit fine on it.

2009 Fox 32 Vanilla R Fork

Travel: 140mm
Adjustability: Rebound, Coil Spring Preload
Spring Type: Coil
Steer Tube Diameter: 1 1/8"
Axle Type: Quick Release
Brake Mount: Disc Brake Only (74mm post)
Color: Black
Weight: 4.16 lbs

And the Shimano XT Groupset.

Thanks!

Also here's the spec for my bike.

PRODUCT SPECS

Stem:
GT ATB, threadless 25 degree rise with four bolt alum face plate
Nipples:
Brass CP
Spokes:
Stainless steel 14 gauge
Chain:
Shimano
Rear Cogs:
Shimano Eight Speed, 11-32 ratio
Front Derailleur:
Shimano M -330
Pedals:
ATB Resin body, Steel cage, toe clip compatible
Bearings:
Cartridge Sealed
Saddle:
WTB Speed V saddle
Seat Post:
Micro-adjust seatpost
Handlebar:
AL ATB riser bar
Wheels/Tires:
Alex ACE-17 double wall rims; alloy disc hubs; Kenda Nevegal 2.1" tires
Brakes:
Tektro IO mechanical disc brakes
Crankset:
Suntour XCT-02, 42/32/22
Suspension:
SR Suntour XCM fork with lockout, 100mm travel
Drivetrain:
Shimano 24-speed drivetrain with Alivio rear derailleur; Shimano Alivio shifters
Grips:
GT Dual Density ATB
Headset:
Tange Seiki system for 1 1/8"
Seat Clamp:
GT Forged Alum QR
Frame:
GT Triple Triangle design 6061 aluminum with Hydro formed downtube, zero stack headtube. Disc compatible with removeable der. hanger

GEOMETRY

FRAME SIZE: Medium
HEAD TUBE ANGLE:
71°
SEAT ANGLE:
73.5°
CHAINSTAY LENGTH:
420mm
STANDOVER HEIGHT:
734mm
HORIZ. TOP TUBE LENGTH:
577mm
SEAT TUBE LENGTH:
466mm
HEAD TUBE LENGTH:
130mm
BOTTOM BRACKET HEIGHT:
298mm
WHEELBASE:
1051mm
FORK LENGTH:
429mm
RAKE:

See less See more
#2 ·
The Avalanche is designed around a 100mm fork. Installing a much longer travel fork with put excess stress on the head tube, slacken the steering angle, and make your steering much slower, which will affect tight turning.

Go with a Fox 32 F100 RLC.

The XT groupo will fit fine. Just make sure you get a long cage derailleur if sticking with the 3x9 setup.

#3 ·
I agree with frdfandc on the fork travel, you might get away with a 120mm travel fork but moving to a 140 is a big jump and would really change your handling.

If your shifting is good, I wouldn't worry about it until later. Are your wheels and tires set up tubeless? That was one of the best things I did to improve the ride. Upgrading the wheels and tires is a good place to improve the ride and feel of the bike. A lighter wheelset with not so heavy tires will improve your acceleration. Wheels can get expensive, but they're worth it.

#4 ·
heh, yeah you guys are right, I just read on about forks and the problems with getting something higher than 100mm, I think I'll keep on researching, you see I'd like to have a fox fork in black if possible.

Also, yes I have upgraded the wheelset / tires / pedals, I got a much thinner tires and Candy C clipless pedals, these have improved my ride a lot!

I can't really complain about the groupset yet, as I haven't had any problems with shifting or braking at all, I'm just thinking on what else I'd like to upgrade my bike with for better performance and all I could come up with right now is (fork and groupset, in the near future).

#5 ·
#8 ·
I upgraded my crappy RST fork to a Reba SL-100mm and it made a night and day difference in every respect. I got it off ebay for 200....brand new. Anyway, I know you said you ride only XC but if you ever wanted to do anything else like some rough single track, having that extra travel is nice for not bottoming out and taking on larger rocks,etc. without a second thought.

I have an Avalance GT -2.0 and wanted to insert a question here on the topic of upgrading. Is there a problem with going to a larger rotor for the brakes over the stock 160mm. The brakes I'm looking at are Avid BB7's but the rotors are 203 mm i think.

E

#9 ·
frdfandc said:
I forgot to add. If you want a black fork, check out Performance Bike. They have the 2008 Rock Shox Reba Race's on sale for $400. But its in store only.
I put this on my Trek4500 a few months ago replacing my Dart3, sadly I paid $480, but WOW what a difference. I was expecting some improvement but the difference was far more drastic than I could have imagined. The control, confidence and handling was much more than I expected a fork change could make. The look is cool, I like the push lock remote and it comes w/ a pump. I would definitely recommend that fork.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.