Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

What do you eat before hitting the trail?

928 views 17 replies 18 participants last post by  retro-newb 
#1 · (Edited)
when I go out very early in the morning, I usually eat one granola bar and a protein shake with whole milk.
the last couple of times I gott cramps on the right side of my stomach. should I eat a different meal or eat less?

care to share your thoughts?

#2 ·
make sure you eat a lot the day before you ride. eat lots of carbs and protein. stuff like pastas, cereal, fruit, rice, and fish are good. also drink lots of water prior to riding.

i usually eat lite the day of a ride. during a long ride i'll stop now and then for a clif bar or banana.

#3 ·
I find that oats / porridge is good as it's complex carbs and thus lasts for some time. It's also great after a ride too.

Don't eat closer than say 1 hour before a ride as your stomach steals all your circulation for digestive purposes. That's what's causing your cramps.

#7 ·
Prolly cramps. Make sure you're getting your electrolytes and enough liquids. "Right side of my stomach" probably means your intestines, right kidney, or liver. Your stomach is on the left side of your body. I wouldn't worry about overeating complex carbs. Road cyclists eat all day on their bikes and it doesn't pose a problem unless they don't hydrate with enough fluids.

#8 ·
I avoid too much protein before the ride, unless I have a couple hours to let it digest. I do better with carbs beforehand. A big bagel with cream cheese or a bowl of cereal will get me through a 2 hr. ride. On a longer ride, I'll have a soft pretzel on the trail. A beer and a soft pretzel and a good dose of loud music makes for a great drive home. From what I've read, protein is best saved for post-ride recovery.

#14 ·
I had an early morning ride planned today. I ate a banana, and a trail mix bar, with some water. Worked well enough.

OTOH, my buddy was in a rush, and just had a clementine. Citrus on an empty stomach did not work well at all for him.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.