Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Help choosing new bike!

762 views 10 replies 8 participants last post by  DavidNeiles 
#1 ·
After a 10 year layoff I'm getting the Biking Bug again - a visit to the LBS was well, intimidating. FS bikes, 29er's, 69er's, hardtails..... whoa, options I never dreamed of 10 years ago. I need some help sorting out what would work best for me - please help! I'm 5-11 205#(down from 220 and working towards 190) and 40 years old. I (still ride) my old Klein Pinnacle XT but would like to retire it for a new ________? My riding does and will consist of commuting to work ~2 miles - some mountain trails (easy to moderate with nice fast - fairly smooth down hills) occasional jumps - not to big but some air is well - just fun. - My LBS carries Fisher, Trek, Diamondback and Raleigh. I'd like to keep it around 1K but will spend for quality. BTW the LBS has a Fisher HIFI Plus 29er for $1400 and several Trek Fuel EX7's for $1300 as last year model close outs - worth considering? Thanks for the help.

#3 ·
+1 for the Fuels. It has a nice ride and handles decent. However, it wasn't for me, as I'm looking for more of an XC style bike, and Fuel was a little too heavy and not quite responsive enough for that.
You could also try the HiFi. It's about equal to the Fuel. I know a couple of people with them, and they're just in love with them.
I'll give you a quick summary of the pros/cons of 29ers. This isn't all-inclusive and is a consensus of what I've heard from multiple LBS, so anyone can correct me if I'm wrong. Basically, 29ers are good because of a few main reasons. First, the larger size gives them more rolling momentum. So, when going over roots, rocks, bumps, etc., they hold their speed better. In addition, some people have told me that extra momentum also carries into climbs a little better than the standard 26" does.
However, that extra size works against you when accelerating. Again, the bigger size results in more effort to get it rolling, though this isn't a big deal to most people. And if you're worried about the bike's weight, the 29er wheels weigh a little more than a comparable 26, though again, many people don't care.

#4 ·
I work at a LBS selling some of the brands that you mention. If a hard tail is what you are after check out the Piranha by GF, very nice components on a great handling bike for just about 1k. The fact that you mentioned a few jumps/big hits a full suspention is a great way to go. It is worth the stretch. Both bikes are nice that you mention, you need to test ride them in the parking lot to see which one is better balanced for you. Take your time and switch back and forth. The trek has a great suspension and the GF Hi-fi has great agility. Go for it!!! The one that makes you smile is the one, you will know when you ride them.

#6 ·
... Everyone's Got One, err, an opinion that is

I ride the Trek '08 69er 3x9 hardtail. I also have or had two 29ers. At 6'4" the 29er is a good match. But, I greatly prefer the 69er.

Hardtail is sufficent for the trails and riding you described and more applicable to commuting. Less weight than a full suspended frame and less to go wrong in the future.

I ride a 21.5" frame. Buying a little small is also a good idea and thus I actually could take a 19.5". frame and be OK

At 5'11" I would recommend a 17.5" framed 2008. I would think you could purchase at ~ $1400. Afterall, the '09s are out and there still remains 08 stock to liquidate.

Try it, you like it. I gurantee. Good Luck.

#7 ·
From recent rides and what I remember from riding/racing 10 years ago - I need a bike that climbs. I have no problems on the decent but my overall body build is not great for climbing.....so I need all the help I can get! Kinda sounds hard tail to me, but I have not ridden enough FS bikes to know how much energy is lost in the suspensions. Maybe the 69er is a good compromise? - Question though, are they slowish like the old Cannondales with the 24" wheels? Those bikes would climb like crazy, but were turds on the road.

The same LBS has a 69er in stock and on close out also - I'll have to give it a spin. I know the owner quite well and he told me I could take any of the bikes for a day trip into the hills and really get a feel for them. A very nice offer that I plan on taking up when the weather gets better. I really want to give the 29er's a try - if they are 1/2 as good as reports say they could be the cat's meow. If I go with a new bike, I'd like to make enough of a change that it's noticeable over my Klein - which is still a very fast and solid bike. Thanks for the suggestions so far.........please keep them comming.

#8 ·
Buy a Diamondback Overdrive Pro

I sell DB at my shop and the 29er overdrive is a great deal. we got them on closeout for $800 and the bike ain't bad, maybe a upgraded wheelset if you want. But for your description of what you do the 29er makes sense. Choose what your heart desires but you will not be let down by the Overdrive in maybe a 20" frame for you my friend:thumbsup:

#11 ·
You sure as hell bet ya. read the specs on Diamondback.com, the overdrive pro has a Rock Shox Reba sl, bb5 disc, lx-deore 9spd w/ hollow tech bb shimano crankset. vs the overdrive w/, Rock shox dart 3, hayes mx4 disc, shimano 8spd with alivio der.
So much more bang for the buck to go w/ the overdrive pro if you want to have a great bike for the long run with easier ways to upgrade parts one at time. And the reba sl is 500 dollars fork alone. No brainer if you got the cash.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.