Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

XC and Jumping?

2K views 22 replies 20 participants last post by  retro-newb 
#1 ·
So, is there any jumping to be had in XC? Nothing like 30 foot gaps or downhill but when does XC end and AM/Freeride start?

#6 ·
GPRider08 said:
Am I sensing a little sarcasm?
Yes you are. For the most part riding styles have rather broad deffinitions. There is no exact point where XC/Trail becomes AM, or AM becomes Freeride, etc. How the bike and componets are holding up to the way you ride are the biggest clues.

In answer to your question. Yes there can certainly be jumps involved in XC. Usually though they are pretty tame 2 to 3 footers maybe and drops run the same. But they will be few in number (XC bikes aren't designed for a steady diet of jumps and drops) and not the primary focus of the ride. A typical XC/Trail ride may have one or two opportunities for a jump or a drop. The key here though is the bike and the beating it's designed to take. You can ride an XC bike on just about any trail you choose as long as you have the skills to go with it, and the sense to know when to bypass a given drop or jump, and slow down for a given section, etc. Basically you have to keep the beating within the design limitations of the bike. An XC bike will take any trail that a 9" travel DH bike will, just not as fast, hard, or big! Unless you hate the bike and wanna replace it in short order that is.:D

So where are the jumps in XC, few and far between is the best answer anyone can give you. An XC bike is pretty much designed to have the wheels on the ground 99% of the time. If you find yourself wanting to leave the ground more often, do bigger drops etc. on a regular basis, then it's time of a bigger (heavier duty bike), because your riding style is starting to progress beyond XC. Or if you are finding yourself wanting to bomb a section faster than the bike is capable of without loosing control, the same applies.

But there isn't a solid cut off point where you can say, oops can't cross that line without getting a different bike.

Good Dirt

#7 ·
Another thing to point out is XC bikes usually have a higher seat height and standover which makes them somewhat impractical for jumping...you have more of your bodys weight over the front of the bike and getting your front end over a lip of a jump is a bit more difficult and dangerous, especially bigger jumps. I saw a video long time ago before all this DJ and serious DH stuff of a guy jumping an XC bike over a 25 foot gap...and he ate shti...HARD!!!

#9 ·
All great points here.............XC is more endurance-oriented, which means XC entails climbing stamina, rider fitness and the ability to maintain higher, level singletrack speeds.

Like Squash mentioned- XC bikes typically remain on the ground 99% of the time. This is why they are built so light. Hucking a XC bike constantly will spell disaster, resulting in severe injury. The average LBS quality XC ride is simply not designed to cop air. Bike durability for jumping, comes at a cost..........WEIGHT. This is why I went the XC route. It's relatively safer, and I get to challenge myself physically. Since I am an old man at 44- I do not need the injuries that DH/FR/Gravity biking brings. I simply no longer have the time to recover from constant injuries. Don't get me wrong- I LOVE the sheer excitement of doing gap jumps, 10-foot drops, high ladder bridges, teeter-totters, etc......but I started this sport late, in life. If I were 21 over again........yes, you'll be seeing me doing trials-type stunts, backflips off jumps, etc.

All in all- XC riding has me in the BEST SHAPE of my enitre adult life. I can billy-goat up hills, where most riders hike their bikes, and kick-up some serious dust on rolling singletack. If you are beginner, decide on your desired style of riding before training and getting the correct bike.

#12 ·
In regards to the OP, I'm wondering the same thing. I've just ordered a Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Elite 2009 but now I'm worried I've bought the wrong bike. I'm not wanting to do massive drops or anything but two and a half foot doesn't seem like a lot. I don't want a particularly heavy bike either though.

Can you damage XC bikes if you do drops of around 6 - 8ft?

#15 ·
yes you can jimi, but make sure you can land it... and dont be surprised by cracks:). i personally run 08 ironhorse warrior hardtail and have done 5 footers quite often. the frame on that thing is chunky, can take a beating. other than my fork, no weak links here. however, the xc geometry sometimes bothers me. the way i see it beat your bike because it should take a beating.

#16 ·
way i see it im a mountain biker. whatever is in front of me i go around/over/under,whatever the case may be. that being said i ride in missouri and we have alot of great singletrack . i started out riding again with a full suspension,but recently traded for a hardtail at 37 yrs old i just dont jump/huck/drop. i just like getting in shape and being out in the woods.kinda like therapy for me. to the o.p. just know the limitations of your bike and ride accordingly,feeling more aggressive? get a heavier duty bike.

oh and essenmeinstuff the official number is 2.54 ft :D

#17 ·
In regards to the OP, I'm wondering the same thing. I've just ordered a Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Elite 2009 but now I'm worried I've bought the wrong bike. I'm not wanting to do massive drops or anything but two and a half foot doesn't seem like a lot. I don't want a particularly heavy bike either though.

Can you damage XC bikes if you do drops of around 6 - 8ft?
Okay, first thing to realize. 2-3 feet is a LOT bigger then you think. 6-8 feet is really big for even a lot of really skilled riders. That said, it all depends on the landing. Can an XC bike take 8 ft to flat? Probably not. That impact would almost certainly bottom out a downhill bike and wouldn't be very good even for that sort of bike.

However, if there is a good transition AND you land right on it... then really almost any bike can do it. I've seen guys on carbon hardtails launch gaps that guys on full out DH bikes were hesitating on.

Basically there's no real set rule. An XC bike will be just fine for small jumps and drops to flat and if you want to go bigger make sure there is a good landing.

#19 ·
Monk_Knight said:
Okay, first thing to realize. 2-3 feet is a LOT bigger then you think. 6-8 feet is really big for even a lot of really skilled riders. That said, it all depends on the landing. Can an XC bike take 8 ft to flat? Probably not. That impact would almost certainly bottom out a downhill bike and wouldn't be very good even for that sort of bike.

However, if there is a good transition AND you land right on it... then really almost any bike can do it. I've seen guys on carbon hardtails launch gaps that guys on full out DH bikes were hesitating on.

Basically there's no real set rule. An XC bike will be just fine for small jumps and drops to flat and if you want to go bigger make sure there is a good landing.
I agree... :thumbsup:

#21 ·
my xc trails have some rock features, 2 foot drops, log skinnies and other fun stuff...

but...nothing is over 2.54 feet so its all good...

one time someone made a jump that was 2.6 feet and it got torn down

but anyway i also ride an iron horse warrior with a little bit longer fork and burlyier build

#22 ·
Monk_Knight said:

8ft to flat on anything would suck, thats a long way down and a pretty abrupt landing, going from 4" to 8" travel doesn't buy you much in that case... lol

I've seen guys who are smooth land 12+ ft on a hardtail into a nice transition.

#23 ·
spazzy said:
my xc trails have some rock features, 2 foot drops, log skinnies and other fun stuff...

but...nothing is over 2.54 feet so its all good...

one time someone made a jump that was 2.6 feet and it got torn down

but anyway i also ride an iron horse warrior with a little bit longer fork and burlyier build
ahh nice to see others follow the code set by are forefathers !!! good work :thumbsup:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.