Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

As i am getting older...

483 views 5 replies 6 participants last post by  twowheelsdown2002 
#1 ·
I might be getting more aggro on the bike! I am looking into body armor to keep the major road rash off my azz. :) I am a big un 250 soaking wet. Any suggestions? Gonna be forearm and knee and shin coverage. How much is this gonna cost me ya thinks?
TIA
Scott
P.S. I am going to Moab tomorrow and if you are interested be in for riding 3 days...

#2 ·
Wish I could join in Moab. This sounds like a great time--Moab is awesome this time of year.

Buying armor is actually tricky if you are not just DHing. If you plan to ride up, the top-of-the-line armor can be bulky and heavy...and expensive too.

I get away with basic stuff for most riding like this

http://www.jensonusa.com/store/product/PG400B01-Oneal+Pro+Knee+Cups.aspx

and this

http://www.jensonusa.com/store/product/PG309C00-Fox+Racing+07+Comp+Elbow+Gaurds.aspx

It works great for most everthing

You can get better stuff for more bulk and weight and price. I have such stuff and only use it for Keystone and shuttles of Apex in Golden. ;) (for the front range folks).

And if you are like me, you never bring it because you do a lot of climbing and want to haul a large camera around.

#3 ·
lidar speaks the truth. i also got a dakine nomad pack that allows me to strap my armor to the bottom on the climb up.

i did the 661 4x2's which have worked well for a few all day rides. theyre a good balance of weight, comfort and protection. and washable! think i found em on sierra trading post for about $40 each which isnt bad at all but if ya leave tomorrow, thats not gonna do ya jack.

#5 ·
Ok, I'm a big guy (6'4", 250#).

For soft pads, the Kyle Straits work pretty well. Comfy for 2-3 hour rides without binding, though they can get a little sweaty.

For Hardshell protection, the Fox stuff is pretty decent. I run the L/XL pads and the fit is excellent.

I also use the Nomad pack for climbs where I don't want to wear armor, and it will fit a Canon 20D.

Also suggest you invest in some Moto style shorts such as the TLD stuff.

#6 ·
Dainese 3X pads, pedaling friendly.

Me and the girlfriend just got some of these. We tried a couple different models of Rockgardns before. The Dainese 3X are really comfy, easy to put on. They sandwich together really compactly if you choose to carry them up to the top, but are so comfy, that we wear them all the time trail riding. They do not slide down at all, and you barely know they are there until you fall.

They normally go for around $80 most places, but keep your eye out for one of Beyond Bikes mystery sales. They had one at Halloween and I put in the code, and got the pads for $58.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.