Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

aaa did I just hit my pedel on that rock.

910 views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  Natedogz 
#1 ·
I was riding a few days ago and realized i hit my pedal against a rock would this affect how my crank works

#2 ·
Lol - it could fall off:D
Just kidding!

Actually it's pretty normal, I did the same thing today - hit it on a rock and fell off my bike. The pedals will get beaten up over time if you do it often, and if you have platform pedals with pins in them well you can knock out a pin or too as well. I don't think it would be likely to affect your cranks unless it was some huge amount of force. However bashing into a rock with your big chainring for example - well that would have an effect - it could bend the teeth etc.

You tend to get used to not pedaling in certain sections, once you get used to the height of your pedals relative to the ground in different positions. Some bikes naturally sit higher off the ground and have more clearance (Freeride bikes) other bikes are low to the ground on purpose (Downhill bikes).

Really in the end you just get used to it, and when you do then you'll find it doesn't happen as often.

#4 ·
SpyderPride said:
Yep, eventually you'll learn to see the rocks before you get to them and lift the pedal slightly so you don't hit it.
and then sometimes you still get a pedal strike especially in places where it transitions from light to shade, lots of rocks/ruts/roots or new less familiar trails. :D I've had a few at speed where it kicked my rear tire out sideways enough that I almost crashed......not fun and it will eventually take it's toll on your pedal bearings/bushings and the BB bearings.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.