Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

XT cassette is to big for hub?

693 views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  GT_young-y'n 
#1 ·
i just bought a wheelset with shimano XT hubs wich are FH-m765. then i bought a slighty used cassette which is the shimano XT CS-m750 but when i instaled it it seems like the cassette is too long for the hub because the lockring isn't grabbing on to the thread on the hub.
is it simply to big?
is there something i'm missing?
please help!

#2 ·
First thing, make sure both cassettes are the same speed - ie you had a 9 speed cassette and brought a 9 speed cassette right?

If all that is ok then no reason why it shouldn't go on - just try again. I believe I had the same issue and thought it wasn't going to fit, but got it in the end - it's meant to look a little wider than the freehub body I believe. If it was anything like mine (LX) then make sure you have the last few cogs the right way.

#3 ·
ducktape said:
First thing, make sure both cassettes are the same speed - ie you had a 9 speed cassette and brought a 9 speed cassette right?

If all that is ok then no reason why it shouldn't go on - just try again. I believe I had the same issue and thought it wasn't going to fit, but got it in the end - it's meant to look a little wider than the freehub body I believe. If it was anything like mine (LX) then make sure you have the last few cogs the right way.
You sure about that? He's specifying 9 speed components, both hub (m765) and cassette (m750), but you already knew that, right? In any case both 8 and 9 speed cassettes and freehub bodies are the same width. What you did get right is that they should work together fine, so do agree the OP should try again. OP-are you using a spacer in back of the cassette? Is the cassette snugging up fine on the freehub body before you try and put on the lockring?

#5 ·
9 spee
Bikinfoolferlife said:
You sure about that? He's specifying 9 speed components, both hub (m765) and cassette (m750), but you already knew that, right? In any case both 8 and 9 speed cassettes and freehub bodies are the same width. What you did get right is that they should work together fine, so do agree the OP should try again. OP-are you using a spacer in back of the cassette? Is the cassette snugging up fine on the freehub body before you try and put on the lockring?
Yes I misread the question somewhat - I thought he was talking about two cassettes rather than a hub & cassette. And yes I actually thought 8 speed hubs were "narrower":confused: and asked the question because I know the m750 comes in either 8 speed or 9 speed.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.