Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

First bike...

940 views 5 replies 6 participants last post by  LOVELESS 
#1 ·
Hey everyone, I just ordered a used bike off of ebay. This will be my first and I think I got a pretty good deal. I'm betting that everyone sees quite a few of these posts, but I was hoping that someone could take a peek at what I got and provide some feedback about it please...

According to the ebay listing...

Early '90's Specialized Stumpjumper

the seller states "This bike has a rugged chrome-moly frame and QUALITY driveline components. The bike is used and there are a few scratches and nicks consistent with its age and use. The bike has been very well maintained, is in good condition and has been stored properly"

And here are the listed specs...

Frame and Fork

Frame-Direct Drive Chrome-Moly Steel Tig Welded
Fork-Direct Drive Chrome-Moly
Size-18" (measured from the center of the crank to top of the seat tube)
Standover Height-29.5"

Components

Brake Set-Shimano SLR Cantilever w/quick release for easy wheel removal
Shift Levers-Shimano STI
Front Derailleur-Shimano Deore DX
Rear Derailleur-Shimano Deore DX
Crankset-Shimano SG 24/38/46 teeth
Rear Cassette-7 speed, 13-30 teeth
Pedals-Shimano Deore DX w/Toe Clips
Seatpost-Specialized Direct Drive w/Cam Quick Release
Handlebar-Specialized Profile

Wheels

Hubs-Shimano Deore DX w/Quick Release
Rims-Specialized BX23 26"X1.5"
Front Tire-Bontrager Jones 26X2.1
Rear Tire-WTB 26X2.1

thoughts? I paid about $240 for it(shipping included)

Thanks for any info/advice

See less See more
#2 ·
take off the

toe clips when it comes, they are acknowledged death traps.

The basic life of a bike is 5 years, a bit longer for steel such as yours. It'll be a good ride if it fits, 7 speed parts will be hard to find. $240 would be top $ IMHO, but if it gets your riding, then it's worth it.

Good luck, Jim

#3 ·
You could have purchased something a bit more "modern" in a LBS for about 100 more with a warranty, service and a suspension... honestly, I feel like $240 is a lot for a nearly 20 year old rigid frame bike with 7 speed parts.... QBP and Hawley, the two distributors I deal primarily with are virtually out of 7 speed components and don't foresee much in the future.

#4 ·
I suspect you paid too much, BUT your are getting a solid ride that will last a lifetime. I commute every day on a Specialized that's older than that. If the components have a lot of life left in them then you did OK. Don't spend a lot on upgrades for that bike, but ride the heck out of it and enjoy it! And if you can't find 7-speed replacement parts, the bike will make a fine singlespeed.

#5 ·
khuye said:
Hey everyone, I just ordered a used bike off of ebay. This will be my first and I think I got a pretty good deal. I'm betting that everyone sees quite a few of these posts, but I was hoping that someone could take a peek at what I got and provide some feedback about it please...

According to the ebay listing...

Early '90's Specialized Stumpjumper

the seller states "This bike has a rugged chrome-moly frame and QUALITY driveline components. The bike is used and there are a few scratches and nicks consistent with its age and use. The bike has been very well maintained, is in good condition and has been stored properly"

And here are the listed specs...

Frame and Fork

Frame-Direct Drive Chrome-Moly Steel Tig Welded
Fork-Direct Drive Chrome-Moly
Size-18" (measured from the center of the crank to top of the seat tube)
Standover Height-29.5"

Components

Brake Set-Shimano SLR Cantilever w/quick release for easy wheel removal
Shift Levers-Shimano STI
Front Derailleur-Shimano Deore DX
Rear Derailleur-Shimano Deore DX
Crankset-Shimano SG 24/38/46 teeth
Rear Cassette-7 speed, 13-30 teeth
Pedals-Shimano Deore DX w/Toe Clips
Seatpost-Specialized Direct Drive w/Cam Quick Release
Handlebar-Specialized Profile

Wheels

Hubs-Shimano Deore DX w/Quick Release
Rims-Specialized BX23 26"X1.5"
Front Tire-Bontrager Jones 26X2.1
Rear Tire-WTB 26X2.1

thoughts? I paid about $240 for it(shipping included)

Thanks for any info/advice
you p[aid about $50 too mutch but it's a decent bike

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.