Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

bottom bracket threading in

625 views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  Legbacon 
#1 · (Edited)
Any tricks to threading in the bottom bracket? I know the right threads in counterclock wise, but I can't for the life of me get it started, hope the threads are not messed up in the frame. I can't get either side to start, shouldn't be this hard should it.
. Panic setting in, lol.

#5 ·
airwreck said:
don't feel bad, I've had a bike shop ruin my BB threads because they were confused too!
Jeez, how'd they make it right?

I use a slick grease on the threads, as opposed to a sticky one like Prep-M. Then thread by hand and stop the moment any resistance is felt. The slick grease helps me feel out when there is a problem right away.

#6 ·
Jerk_Chicken said:

I use a slick grease on the threads, as opposed to a sticky one like Prep-M. Then thread by hand and stop the moment any resistance is felt. The slick grease helps me feel out when there is a problem right away.
I also used slick grease on the threads. I didn't force anything so the threads are good. I told myself R means right side and L means left side dummy, LOL as the parts are labled with a direction arrow also, it was a dut dut duh moment that I find myself having too many of lately, must be getting old, lol. I am enjoying the building process however. Now if I make the same mistake twice I think I'll check myself in, lol.

#7 ·
Jerk_Chicken said:
I know how much you like stories like this...
took a special road frame into the local special dealer, the areas most experienced shop, and asked to have the BB chased. The drive side would thread half way in and then resist, left side was fine. Went back the next day and he asked me to bring in the BB. BB was a campy with cups that look the same. Went the next day and picked up the bike and he told me both sides of the BB shell were totally messed up, :skep:. The campy BB cups are labeled LH for the drive side and RH for the non drive. Took a look and sure enough they had the RH cup in the drive side. Argued for a while about who was right, he insisted he was correct but he didn't have another BB in the shop to try :skep::skep:. I gave up and left, tried riding the bike and the BB cup would just unthread itself as I rode. Went back to the shop again, he still insisted that he was right while I insisted he ruined the frame. He asked what did I want him to do, and I said you're a special dealer, call special and tell them what you did. He got me a replacement frame finally, made me pay for shipping, and still would not admit fault. :madmax:

#9 ·
A few years ago I was trying to install a bb and could not get the threads started on either side. I had done this many times and double checked that I was turning the right way, but 30 min of frustration ensued. I took the frame and bb down to the lbs, certain that the threads needed chasing. The mechanic looked at it and then threaded the bb in by hand on the first try. I thanked him and skulked out with my red face. I've never had that kind of difficulty before or since.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.