Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

New Bike - Need Some Help

657 views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  GPRider08 
#1 ·
I've been riding mostly XC (open trails) and to/from work for the past 6 yrs. Right now I have a Trek 820 and it's done the job fine, but recently over the past few months I've started riding more agressive singletrack with a few friends. I never knew what I was missing until a few months ago! It's about time to get a new bike and this time I'd like to step it up a bit. I'm looking for a quality hard tail that won't break the bank (hopefully in the $600ish range) and will do a lot better on the more rough stuff (I definitely get aggressive and don't hold back much, but at the same time won't be doing any serious DH type stuff). I want a good, solid frame that can take abuse, disc brakes, quality components (but at the same time I'm not buying XLR...you get the point).

My plan is to go to a few bike shops and test ride several different bikes to see what fits me best, but I'd like to go in the shop with a plan of what bikes I'm interested in instead of just aimlessly looking around and randomly picking one. I'm not opposed to getting a last year model, slightly used, etc. if it helps me get a better bike for a little less. I've checked Craig's, etc. but there's really nothing right now.

The bikes I was thinking about just based on the internet:

GT Avalanche 2.0
Trek 6000 (if there's a good used one in my price range)
Specialized Rockhopper Comp Disc

Are these something I should look at, what else would you guys recommend? A friend said try to get Deore components because they're pretty decent without breaking the bank. I appreciate the help in advance guys!

See less See more
#2 ·
Check your PM's as I've replied to your request.

I started on a Fisher Tassajara and loved it other then the fork that was on it. I'm sure that's improved. I got it @ Sun&Ski in Tulsa. They don't carry GF anymore but it might be a good choice for you to look at. (Don't know what they cost now either.)

#5 ·
There are a lot of bikes in that price range. I'd say look at everything your local shops carry.

Something that can fit wider tires will save your body on rough terrain and the occasional jumps and such. Meaty tires can be run at lower pressures and give good extra cush. If you can fit something in the 2.3-2.5" range in the bike, you should be in good shape. The clearance on the back end is likely to be the biggest concern, not the front, but it's good to check.

I also like bikes with larger diameter fork stanchions. Narrower fork stanchions often result in a flexier fork. Larger diameter stanchions give better stiffness. I'm aware of them being as big as 40mm. 36mm is common for all-mountain bikes, 32mm for shorter travel bikes. I'm not sure what the narrowest are these days, but I wouldn't touch anything less than 30mm. If you're a bigger guy, 30mm may be pushing it, even.

As far as frames go, the best way to find what works for you is to test ride them and choose what fits. Hopefully the shop staff will be helpful in proper sizing. If not, it's probably a good idea to look elsewhere.

#6 ·
Thanks for the replies guys! I went to the LBS last night (unfortunately I live in a smallish town for now, so I don't have any other choice but this one, small shop) and rode a Trek 6000 and a Rockhopper. I liked the Trek a lot better just for feel and it seemed to shift much better. The Trek's an '08 model and he's asking $679; what do you think is a good price at this point for this bike? I'm going to try and go to Tulsa this weekend to check some other bikes out, but I won't be surprised if I end up w/ the Trek, I really liked it.

#8 ·
id say pull the trigger on the trek if you really liked it after riding it, check out other bikes this weekend and then if you didnt like anything as more or more then go snatch it up

is it the disk specific model? if its not you might want to check out one that has disks or at least disk compatable hubs, because if you end up wanting disk brakes someday you will be out of luck and have a major purchase to upgrade to disk brakes

#9 ·
It does have mech disk brakes and has SRAM X-5 components. The shifting on this bike is a million times better than my 820. The SRAMs feel great to me and I can always upgrade later when parts start wearing out. Until then, I think these components are sufficient for me. We'll see what happens this weekend.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.