Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

How to Make an 07 66 ATA Work?

574 views 12 replies 4 participants last post by  Nagaredama 
#1 ·
I mentioned that I can get these things as NOS locally for steals. The price is enticing enough to make me consider getting one and gutting the ATA cart of the clacking parts to make it work. My neighbor has one and he digs it, although we've seen the clacking issue repeatedly which is nearly gone by going with some weird pressures.

So what can be done with the ATA cart to simplify it and make it work better? First choice would be an RC2x, but can't find them easily.

#2 ·
c'mon, you're kidding, right? :lol:
best way to make it work is to turn it into an RC2X.
but if you don't want to spend the money to do that:
1] decide what travel setting you use the most, and set up you pressures for that setting
2] tighten the grub screws for the detent balls just a wee bit.

#7 ·
The ATA cartridge is easy to work on and the wind-down is eliminated with the new ATA top cap you can get from Marzocchi. Removing the PAR piston is easy and makes it less complicated to set up!
Go for it. I have thought about getting one again.
Mine never clanked and worked great the whole time.

I would def remove the PAR piston and never put any air in the RC2 side.
And keep the o-rings inside the ATA cartridge properly lubed. I used Plumbers grease with good results.

But def setup the fork the way you want it to feel at the travel you want because it will behave differently at different travel levels. I only reduced travel to climb.

#8 ·
Nagaredama said:
Willing to share your source? I'd love to get my hands on a new 2007 66 ATA.
It's a local non-online source. If you're willing to go to the former East Germany, then you'll be able to pick one up. However, unless you speak Saechsiche well, you're not going to get anywhere.

#10 ·
wormvine said:
The ATA cartridge is easy to work on and the wind-down is eliminated with the new ATA top cap you can get from Marzocchi. Removing the PAR piston is easy and makes it less complicated to set up!
Go for it. I have thought about getting one again.
Mine never clanked and worked great the whole time.

I would def remove the PAR piston and never put any air in the RC2 side.
And keep the o-rings inside the ATA cartridge properly lubed. I used Plumbers grease with good results.

But def setup the fork the way you want it to feel at the travel you want because it will behave differently at different travel levels. I only reduced travel to climb.
In theory, like the 06 SL Doppio, can the travel adjust be made also by using more negative pressure? Just a thought for tuning options.

Nagardema,

If you're in the US, I don't think it would be sensible to even try due to the exchange rates and fees and shipping costs. In the end, I would likely see it coming in at more than what you can get it for in the US. The dollar has gained, but at that conversion, I don't believe you will win in the US market. Because I'm paying in Euros and now living in the Euro, it's more feasible for me, based on adjustments.

#11 ·
Jerk_Chicken said:
In theory, like the 06 SL Doppio, can the travel adjust be made also by using more negative pressure? Just a thought for tuning options..
No, the '07 doesn't work that way. The negaitve and positive pressure 'equalize' with every stroke. When you add air to the top of the left leg, you are adding air to both the positive and negative chambers at the same time. The negative charge has no bearing on the travel in the '07

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.