Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Moab - the Undiscovered Country

2K views 13 replies 11 participants last post by  deadbolt 
#1 · (Edited)
Well- we made it back. Four days of long, hard scenic rides. Our goal was to cover some new ground - and cover it we did. Camp was at Cow Skin up near Dewey Bridge - a pretty remote spot, but located close to the stuff we wanted to ride. On arrival we did Pole Canyon Rim as a warm up - not as long or as technical as Top of the World, but great views down the river. We added a little mileage tracing the Dolores River up from the confluence with the Colorado - 14 miles. Day 2 was the long grind to the Dolores River Overlook - 23 miles, 2 Cottonwood Canyons and great views. Day 3 was the epic Fisher Mesa Trail. This ride had it all, snow, sand, cliffs, grass and killer views. It starts with 6 miles of fine singletrack that makes UPS and LPS look weak by comparison - ends at the mesa tip overlooking Fisher Towers all the way to Moab. 22 miles and lots of vertical. Day 4 - back in Colorado and Rabbit Valley - the Rim Trail and lots of sand. One of the best trips ever! enjoy!
Camp at Cow Skin

Pole Canyon Rim

Cottonwood canyon on the way to the Dolores Overlook

The Highpoint on the Dolores Trail looking into Colorado

Another Cottonwood Canyon looking to Porc Rim

Lunch looking down on the Dolores

Somebody loved these dogs - Miles from nowhere.

Start of Fisher Mesa trail - 8,300 feet

Looking to Beaver Mesa from Fisher Mesa

Fisher Mesa Singletrack - puts UPS and LPS to shame

Overlooking Fisher Valley

Slickrock treat on the way out

Sometimes it's easier to drive - sometimes not

Mary jane Canyon overlook

Riding the Seregeti to the end of Fisher Mesa

End of the trail looking towards Arches and Moab

The Pay off - back side of the Titan

The snow climb back out - cold

Fire - warm!

sandy riding at Rabbit Valley - nice way to finish it out.

See less See more
#4 ·
nybike1971 said:
Nice pics, I am jealous!

Can you describe the Fisher Mesa loop in a little more detail? I was under the impression that it is an out and back mostly on double track but your pictures prove me wrong.
It's not really a loop - more like a reverse lollipop. You start up high off the Gateway road and drop down to the mesa. After less than half a mile of downhill there is a new single track trail that heads off from the main 4WD road. It's trail 180. It follows the edge of the mesa for about 6 miles and rejoins the road half way out the mesa. From that point on it's an out and back on the 4WD road to the end of the mesa and back. You can then retrace the single track back up the hill or take the road out. Due to the failing light, we opted to follow the road which is very rough and loose. I think a better option is to go back out the trail, but it would be a pretty technical climb.

#8 ·
cutthroat said:
It's not really a loop - more like a reverse lollipop. You start up high off the Gateway road and drop down to the mesa. After less than half a mile of downhill there is a new single track trail that heads off from the main 4WD road. It's trail 180. It follows the edge of the mesa for about 6 miles and rejoins the road half way out the mesa. From that point on it's an out and back on the 4WD road to the end of the mesa and back. You can then retrace the single track back up the hill or take the road out. Due to the failing light, we opted to follow the road which is very rough and loose. I think a better option is to go back out the trail, but it would be a pretty technical climb.
Thank you, it's definitely on my must do list for the next trip to Moab.

#11 ·
Looks like a great time was had, cutthroat. It's funny, just the other day I was looking over a Moab map at all of the offerings further up 128 and several of those popped up. I'd also like to spend a day or 2 exploring the Yellow Cat District.

RE, the rim trail. I've ridden that a few times before and found it unlikeably sandy. Last time we were there, we rode it clockwise and found it to be extra sweet in that direction.

#12 ·
ignazjr said:
RE, the rim trail. I've ridden that a few times before and found it unlikeably sandy. Last time we were there, we rode it clockwise and found it to be extra sweet in that direction.
Agreed - I pushed a lot, and the moto section right at the end (going counterclockwise) truly sucked- Western Rim is far nicer riding IMO, but the theme of the trip was to ride all new terrain.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.