Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

MTB Shoe Question

694 views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  BrianH 
#1 ·
Trying to see if I can narrow the field down a little bit before I start trying on everything in sight. Looking for a comfortable (recreational) shoe that can be used to occasionally walk around a mall or something without the cleat clacking. So not looking for something super stiff and with a relatively recessed cleat but still very functional cycling shoe.

Also, just for fitment generally I wear new balance (which is basically medium everywhere except slightly narrow heel) shoes. Is there any brand that I should be looking for that fits that type of foot? Thanks!

#3 ·
I second that. I have been wearing them for months now and they're very comfortable and easy to walk in. My cleats have 'worn down' so they no longer make any noise unless you're walking on something where there are tiny pebbles (i.e. concrete, gravel paths). I did put the shim on to move the cleat out a bit so it might help not to put that on.

#4 · (Edited)
Yeah those shimanos are very comfortable, but I think they are more for a wide foot. But, that will give you an idea of what to look for. I wear the Pearl Izumi X-alp low and they are more narrow at the heal. Also, comfortable to walk in on the trail...have yet to walk around in the mall with them. The cleat is going to wear down faster, with most shoes, walking around on hard surfaces.

#6 ·
I have found the Lake shoes to be a bit more to my liking than Shimano...I have a narrow heel with a slightly wide mid-foot (but not wide in the toes) and the Lake shoes seem to fit better than the Shimano shoes nowadays (the old Shimano last was PERFECT...but they changed it around 2001 and its too wide in the forefoot now for me).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.