Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

tire advice

1K views 28 replies 13 participants last post by  JAKEEFER 
#1 ·
#16 ·
GiantJ said:
I bought a set of Panaracer FireXCPro's last year and I love them. They arent the lightest tires out there, but for the price, they are super grippy and durable. They have lasted through a lot of mixed road/dirt riding and are still 80% tread in the back. Similar in tread pattern of those Kendas, too.
http://www.jensonusa.com/store/product/TI707A08-Panaracer+Fire+Xc+Pro+Tire.aspx#
I currently run these very tires and love them. Granted I am not some hardcore pro. Just a noob who likes a easy trail ride. So far after I replaced my factory Manitou Six forks with Rockshox Tora 302 SL the Pana's have been very solid and the front end feels planted.

#17 ·
#21 ·
i ride local trails mostly full of gravel, dirty, mud, love to get dirty:thumbsup: . the tires on my stock bike are concerning me so i thought i would get something more beefy at least in thread type, dont want to get a flat tire! i started riding with a windsor ghost and it had some very thick wtb tires, was perfect, then i got this bike it just concerns me, im starting out (since august) and will be goign to some hardcore stuff almost there, started riding uphills more and more without getting that tired.

#22 ·
The FireXC pro sounds like it may work well for your conditions. The only thing I don't like about them is that they are pretty skinny. I run that on the back with a Bontrager jone xr on the front. The FXC Pro makes the BJ XR look huge. About to change out the front to a WTB motoraptor to deal with some of the sand in my area. Definitely hit up your shop, like Keaton said, and see what those folks are running.

#24 ·
I will tell you that the fire XCs are very sticky while climbing and cornering. I used to have a lot of wash out when cornering on my old tires (stock kendas on my Rincon) and when I switched to the Panas, washout was gone. They are also very tough. Never had a pinch flat or puncture with 200+ miles so far on the tires.

They do slip a little bit in the deep mud if I am hammering through it, but I would imagine all the other tires would probably slip in it too. JMHO.

#26 ·
Try running a Kenda Nevegal upfront and a Kenda Small Block Eight in the back. Great setup for those types of conditions. I run a Stick-E in the front but you can go with the DTC to reduce some rolling resistance. All in all this is a great setup for me and I think I'll stick with it for a long time. BTW, Kenda Nevegals won first place in every tire shootout article I have read.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.