Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Chris King Conversion

4K views 45 replies 25 participants last post by  turner_dave 
#1 ·
Anybody here in the forum tried or used the new conversion kit of Chris King Hubs to be compatible on the Fox 15QR Forks?

Been thinking of getting that fork but since I have the normal QR type C.King ISO I still have'nt made up my mind.

Thanks! :)

#5 ·
also interested in this

I am planning on buying a new Sultan and was interested in converting my ISO QR hubs to 20mm TA to take advantage of the extra stiffness of the maxle on the 120mm forks.

I emailed CK and they gave me a return call to tell me that converting from QR to anything larger wasn't an option with my hubs. He told me that the conversion kit will take you from 20mm down to 15mm but not from 9mm to 15 or 20.

Can anyone confirm this is the case? or maybe you just can't do this 'right now' until they make a conversion kit?

#6 · (Edited)
Help!!!

jeffro said:
I am planning on buying a new Sultan and was interested in converting my ISO QR hubs to 20mm TA to take advantage of the extra stiffness of the maxle on the 120mm forks.

I emailed CK and they gave me a return call to tell me that converting from QR to anything larger wasn't an option with my hubs. He told me that the conversion kit will take you from 20mm down to 15mm but not from 9mm to 15 or 20.

Can anyone confirm this case? or maybe you just can't do this 'right now' until they make a conversion kit?
Oh no!!! I hope someone can enlighten us on this issue. When I checked the Website of Chris King, it says there that the 9mm ISO hubs will have a 15mm QR Conversion Kit.

I really need your info's here so I can purchase a regular QR fork if this is not possible.

I just sold my fork and this 15QR option made me do it . . . but if its not possible i guess i have no choice but t get the normal QR type Fork.

Thanks!!!

*Maybe this can help . . .

http://chrisking.com/hubs/hbs_15mm

Cheers!

#8 ·
jeffro said:
As for the QR-->15mm axle conversion, I may have misunderstood the guy from CK. Their website says you will be able to convert your ISO QR or 20mm to 15mm.

I was focused on going from a QR to 20mm so I could be wrong about the 15mm conversions.
9mm to 20mm not possible, kit for 9mm to 15mm should be coming, but there are no 15mm 29er forks so far (I think).

#15 ·
Why the hate? It's only being used to clean and prevent corrosion, not to lubricate.

WD-40 is really good for stuff like that. spraying out the guts of old shifter pods is another thing wd40 is handy for. Just thing of it as a solvent that leaves an anti-corrosive film.

In the 10+ years I've owned my king hub, I've only used their tool when I swapped the hubshell to go disc in 2001.

The rest of the time, I just remove the freehub, axle & rotor, spray the inside of the hub shell and freehub out with WD40 & compressed air, then re-assemble using ringdrive grease or dumonde tech liquid grease. The hub is still going strong despite the fact I hose my bike down several times a month in the winter.

#17 ·
Like FM said... WD works fine for "cleaning out" your hub, but... you'd better have your CK tool, and your ring lube ready. I've serviced several CK hubs this way. First open up your hub, using your CK tools. Also, open up the bearings seals. Next, spray liberal amounts of WD in, moving and rotating parts. Next, using an air compressor, AT A LOW PSI, blow out all WD. You'll want to get it all out. Next, lube up, reassemble, and go ride. Remember, you'll likely need to retention after your first ride.

#19 ·
FM said:
Why the hate? It's only being used to clean and prevent corrosion, not to lubricate.

WD-40 is really good for stuff like that. spraying out the guts of old shifter pods is another thing wd40 is handy for. Just thing of it as a solvent that leaves an anti-corrosive film.

In the 10+ years I've owned my king hub, I've only used their tool when I swapped the hubshell to go disc in 2001.

The rest of the time, I just remove the freehub, axle & rotor, spray the inside of the hub shell and freehub out with WD40 & compressed air, then re-assemble using ringdrive grease or dumonde tech liquid grease. The hub is still going strong despite the fact I hose my bike down several times a month in the winter.
Since you specifically mention using compressed air to blow out the WD and then follow up with proper lube, that's probably fine. Generally speaking, though, unless they changed the formula, WD-40 is hygroscopic. It works great as a solvent, but left in as a lubricant, it attracts moisture. Something like CRC spray degreaser is probably a better choice. Blow out the excess, let the rest evaporate (it doesn't leave a residue) and then follow up with a proper re-lubing. For the other poster, definitely DON'T just spray the innards with WD-40 and just leave it in there...

#20 ·
moosehead said:
speaking of CK hubs, any clean way to avoid the $160 CK hub service tool and still get to the rear hub innards?
Just bring in a 12pack of beer to your LBS and make some new friends. Then let them know that you are a good mechanic and ask then if you can use the tool at the shop under their supervision. If you're nice you just might score.

#21 ·
Chris2fur said:
Since you specifically mention using compressed air to blow out the WD and then follow up with proper lube, that's probably fine. Generally speaking, though, unless they changed the formula, WD-40 is hygroscopic. ...
Fair enough... you're an expert too ;)

By the way, I'm not a huge fan of WDD40 myself, I just like to follow instructions! :D

Attachments

#23 ·
Wd...

moosehead said:
believe it or not, the CK service manual actually recommends wd40 as alternative to breaking down the hub physically.

that said, i didn't like the idea any better than you guys. guess ya gotta pay to play.
The WD is actually OK to flush out the hub until it runs clean; the WD breaks up the grime well methinks. Then take a can a Teflon based lube and flush out the WD. Shake it out or let it air dry a while in the warm sun. Squeeze in the ring drive lube and you are good to go.

I do a full service with the hub tool maybe every 12 months of riding on a given hub. If I'm having the wheel rebuilt I've recently simply sent the hub itself to CK and have them do it for a few pennies. For a full service I find it more cost effective to have them do it. If the hub is built up onto a rim and it needs a full service then I do it.

#24 ·
2 thoughts man. teflon makes a poopy bearing lube. teflon lube makes a even poopyer degreaser. i find spray on teflon works pretty sweet for low load, low speed pivots like a car door hinge were ya otherwise couldnt get to its inadrs but like wd40, it has no place on high end bikes that see regular use in dirty outdoor conditions.

not to give ya a e-wedgie.... but how do ya figure a teflon aerosol lube is gonna perge wd40 from a bearing or anything else for that matter?

#25 ·
Hilarious thread.

It brings out all the Hate for WD-40 and ignorance of petroleum products...

But in case you care, this is important.

WD-40 dissolves cocaine; Keep the peeps from snorting up in the bathroom before they rebuild your hub.

http://www.cocaine-addiction.co.uk/index.php?p=21&c=1

BTW, the only time I ever heard DW-40 was bad was here on mtbr. My whole life I used the crap then suddenly it was some bad stuff. cuz I read it on MTBR.com. I have never experienced this badness I hear of however.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.