Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Help: Shimano XT BR-M775 Adjustment

10K views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  Lelandjt 
#1 ·
Hi from Maryland. I need to reduce the free stroke in my brakes.

I just installed Shimano XT BR-M775 Discs on my 2003 Stumpjumper, with 180 6-bolt rotors. I am not satisfied with the lever free stroke and disc engagement. There is too much stroke before the disc engages the rotor on both brakes. I can back out the "Free Stroke" adjustment screw counterclockwise nearly all the way to the stop and almost get an acceptible stroke that engages quickly upon compressing the levers, but this leaves me nothing for further tightening as the pads wear. I think there must be some way to narrow the clearance between the pad and rotor at the caliper, but I can not find this in the instructions. Can anyone offer suggestions?

Hope you all get a chance to to Greenbrier State Park trails in Maryland sometime. Downhill Big Red East, Big Red West, Snelling and and Rock Oak can all be accessed at the top via paved Mountain Laurell Road, so if you don't want to climb tough you can climb EZ. Not as EZ as a chair lift, but close.

#2 ·
Scott In MD said:
I can back out the "Free Stroke" adjustment screw counterclockwise nearly all the way to the stop and almost get an acceptible stroke that engages quickly upon compressing the levers, but this leaves me nothing for further tightening as the pads wear.
The caliper self-adjusts for wear. As the pads thin, the pistons will naturally draw closer to the rotor, you won't have to make any adjustments.

Also, I've noticed with my set that the "bite point" comes earlier anyway as the brake breaks in.

#7 ·
Shimano has made an indusrty by charing $1 per gram for the same mechanical technology, so I would guess it will work... I hope it works, because my XT's are darn near perfect with responsivenss, modulation, feel and power after breaking in. I rode n the snow this evening, at higher elevation central Maryland... and these brakes are pretty nice.

#8 ·
markito200 said:
I screwed the freestroke screw all the way in, and placed a ziptie on the lever to hold it close to the bar for a few hours. It worked like a charm, so now they are nice a tight and very consistant..
What did you do exactly? Did you do this with no rotor in place an effectively reduce the pad clearance? That's what I assume. I would like to try this

#10 ·
This is a common complaint that I shared. Leave the Free Stroke backed all the way out and continue breaking them in and practicing bleeding. After many bleeds mine got acceptably quick. Remember, the reason for this and the upside is that your pads sit farther from the rotor and create less drag when the rotor isn't perfectly straight.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.