Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Help - Rear wheel Issues

2K views 41 replies 13 participants last post by  SteveUK 
#1 ·
My damn rear wheel wont stay centered. I can center it and ride for awhile then it will be off center again. I really paid attention to it on my ride today. The first time i noticed it was off it was nearly rubbing the left side. So i loosened her up and dropped it back into place. I tightened the skewer up a little bit tighter also. I checked it again after my ride and it was only slightly off center. Id say a 40% gap on the left and 60% gap on the right.

Any ideas on why this happening?

Thanks

J

#8 · (Edited)
Here is my bike setup:

Frame: Specialized Enduro Pro HT
Stem: Easton EA30
Handlebars: FSA XC-190
Shifters/Brakes: XT M770 Dual Control
Brakes: Avid BB7 160mm
Headset: WTB Momentum
Fork: Fox Vanilla RLC 32
Saddle: WTB Laser V
Crankset: LX Hollowtech II
Front Derailer: XT M760
Rear Derailer: XT M770 Low Normal Long Cage
Rear Cassette: XT M750
Chain: SRAM PC991
Pedals: DMR V8's, CB Acid V1
Wheels: WTB Dual Duty

#9 ·
Okay, nice bike. :thumbsup: Sounds like you could maybe sand the paint off the frame around where the skewer comes in contact with it (might as well do it now, because the skewer WILL eventually rub it all off over the next few months/years), and tighten it down as much as possible. Make sure there's no grease between the frame/skewer junction, too.

#10 ·
Thanks for the compliment. I built it from the frame. Alright. Thanks for the advice. I will get her cleaned up tomorrow and tighten it down as tight as i can get it.

I'll report back once i am able to ride again. There is a nasty storm coming into Austin, so im hoping by sunday i can get out.

Thanks again

J

#11 ·
Update. Well the damn wheel doesnt sit in the drop outs straight. Its just slightly off center. So i have to tweak and hold the rim while tightening the skewer. WTF Could be the issue here?

I noticed the posts from the hub dont have the same amount of threads showing. could this be the issue?

thanks

J

#14 ·
wheel

I've had the same problem.It was the dish.Since then I've seen the same thing on allot of friends bikes.And it's always the drive side that has have all the spokes tightened to pull the wheel to the right.If you know how to true a wheel it's pretty easy.If you don't it's a good way to learn.

#16 ·
JayDial said:
Can i attempt this without a truing stand? It sounds pretty scary.
you can certainly attempt it w/o the stand.

can you succeed, however, is probably a better question.

regards,
the wrench

(who started truing wheels on the frame a decade ago...tell me it's not a truing stand.)

#18 ·
ok not THAT simple...

for every spoke you tighten, the two adjacent on either side must be loosened, vice versa for opposing force. you arent going to get very far if your spokes are overtense.

and use a SPOKE WRENCH. not pliers or machine pistols or whatever else you DIY guys use.

best of luck matey!

#20 ·
i've seen frames (a few from specialized new this year actually) where they paint/finishing on the drop outs won't let the axle sit perfectly in the center, and we've had to sand/file some paint/clear coat off to make it even. That can be a little nerve racking on a $4k bike, but everything worked out fine. if other fixes don't fix it, make sure this isn't the problem

#22 ·
markf said:
i've seen frames (a few from specialized new this year actually) where they paint/finishing on the drop outs won't let the axle sit perfectly in the center, and we've had to sand/file some paint/clear coat off to make it even. That can be a little nerve racking on a $4k bike, but everything worked out fine. if other fixes don't fix it, make sure this isn't the problem
I took a previous suggestion and sanded down the paint (which was almost gone anyway). Then i took a dremel and smoothed out the inside of drop outs because they had imprints from the threads on the hub posts.

Is there a method i can use to see if the drop outs are inline with each other?

Thanks

J

#25 ·
Jeez, peeps! You missed it!!
The OP said his "post" had more threads on one side than the other; it can only be an axle that's off-center. PUT DOWN THE SPOKE WRENCH!!!! STEP AWAY FROM THE TRUING STAND!!!!
Have the LBS center the axle -- loosen axle nuts on one side, take up the lack on the other.

#26 ·
Shop time.

There are 3-4 things that may be wrong. A decent shop will be able to tell you what is up in a few minutes.

There is NOTHING simple about trying to dish your wheel for the first time. (in the frame no less) You dont even know if that is the issue,.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.