Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Please help with my Decision on the giant xtc.

680 views 10 replies 9 participants last post by  M_S 
#1 ·
After doing extensive searches on this bike and researching it I figured I'd give it a test ride. I liked it very much, though this is the only one I've test rod... I wanted to get some input from a few folks from MTBR on their thoughts about the bike. Also, I'm not sure about the fork. I can't find much on the net about marzocchi, especially the 22 LO. Soooo is this a decent fork or should I look to upgrade if/when I purchase the bike? And if anyone has any other bike options that would be equal or better then the XTC 1, please don't hesitate to lay it out there. I'm still undecided and have an open mind. I live in the greater Kansas City area so there are many different bike dealers in my area.

Thanks in advance. :thumbsup:

Giant xtc 1
http://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-US/bikes/mountain/2342/32139/

#3 ·
k...sooo no comments on the xtc...just buy the Forge? any body else? I do like the specs though for the Forge...I just cant test ride it though which is a big deal to me. i wouldnt know weather to purchase the 19in or the 17in.

i'm 5'11" and roughly 180 any ideas...

I will say there are some GREAT reviews for the forge...:thumbsup:

#4 ·
I was kinda goofing around, but serious at the same time. the xtc and forge are almost the same geometry I think if not exactly the same. I just suggested it because I was researching bikes before I decided to build my cannondale, and I found lots of info and pictures of the forge and giant frames, and they are identical (in pictures). Plus the price was even cheaper for the forge at the time I was looking ($319 I believe it was)

#7 · (Edited)
IMHO i'd never buy the TARGET bike... i just never understand why people can compare a bike like that to a Giant from a pro bike shop...:rolleyes:

the fork seems to be one of the new entry level forks from marzocchi. If i were you, i'd use it until i have the cash upgrade it. The XTC is a pretty nice bike. Test ride a couple more bikes and if you like the XTC best, don't hesitate!!:thumbsup:

#9 ·
oakley198877 said:
IMHO i'd never buy the TARGET bike... i just never understand why people can compare a bike like that to a Giant from a pro bike shop...:rolleyes:
Actually, if you read up on the Forge, the Frame is made by Giant. I was skeptical of the Forge too, but there are numerous threads about Forge on here and their customers seem pretty content. I believe there was 1 guy who put 3K miles on his Forge Sawback 5xx!

#10 ·
I think the Marzocchi 22LO is comparable to (if not the same fork with different stickers) the old Marzocchi MZ line of forks. It's pretty basic. It lacks quality rebound damping, so it may feel a little bouncy, but you will have lock out for smooth stuff. However, at that price point, it is hard to do better i think.

#11 ·
Yeah, the fork is nothing special, but not crap either. Basically the sme with all of the specs. The frame, however, is very upgradeable.

Might as well take a look at the offerings from the other big manufacturers, too, if you have local dealers. Cannondale, Specialized, GT, Jamis, Trek...

I'd focus on frame, fork, and brakes when comparing specs. Don't be sucked in by an upgraded rear derailleur or something.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.