Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

08 vs 09 Sultan

1K views 21 replies 18 participants last post by  Serotta b1kr 
#1 ·
Looking for an XC-ish trail bike that can also be ridden as an endurance racer. I will likely hit 4 or 5 races a season (6&12hours and maybe a 50 miler), but also want to be able to fly on the local group rides, so it needs to be responsive. Currently riding a 29er hardtail and am looking for an efficient climber that'll still be a good trail bike.

Need some guidance from folks that have been able to ride both...
  • How about some feedback on how the rides will likely differ 08vs09?
  • Is the DW link bike going to be a more efficient climber?
  • What is the weight difference between the frames? Have read a few posts about how the 09 is heavier. Are we just talking a half pound heavier or will it be more?
  • Geometry - Any idea as to the geometry and bb height if I run a 100mm fork? Saw that the goemetry dims on the site are based on a 525mm A-C fork. 20mm less travel should steepen up the HT by a degree or so, but what about the bb height - around 10mm lower? (half of the 20mm drop)

#2 ·
I'm sure there has only been a handful of people who have rides on both.

I've only ridden the TNT Sultan and it was very nice. So for me I'd just go with a TNT Sultan or wait for the Homers to Guinea Pig the 1st generation DW link and get a 2nd generation DW link when the bugs have been worked out.

#4 ·
sthrnfat said:
Looking for an XC-ish trail bike that can also be ridden as an endurance racer. I will likely hit 4 or 5 races a season (6&12hours and maybe a 50 miler), but also want to be able to fly on the local group rides, so it needs to be responsive. Currently riding a 29er hardtail and am looking for an efficient climber that'll still be a good trail bike.

• What is the weight difference between the frames? Have read a few posts about how the 09 is heavier. Are we just talking a half pound heavier or will it be more?
  • Geometry - Any idea as to the geometry and bb height if I run a 100mm fork? Saw that the goemetry dims on the site are based on a 525mm A-C fork. 20mm less travel should steepen up the HT by a degree or so, but what about the bb height - around 10mm lower? (half of the 20mm drop)
Your best bet is to search through the Interbike posts here and on the 29er forum &

Quick summary from my memory (I have an 07):
- Dave Turner says it pedals like it's 2 pounds lighter, but is plusher
- DT also says that it doesn't steer like a truck (he implied that the 08 does...though the improved steering could be becase of the new generation of forks with greater offsets)
- It is a better climber (both smooth and technical trails)
- It is a more efficient climber, and works well for out of the saddle climbing
- It is a better descender
- I weighs ~1 pound more
- The meduim sized frame is really ugly

#6 ·
'08 is lighter, much cheaper and designed around 100mm travel, I can't speak for the DW version but if you turn the PP on the '08 is plenty effecient on the climbs. The DW bikes are fugly I agree, not that it really matters but for that kind of $ aesthetics should matter some IMO.

#7 ·
rroeder said:
'08 is lighter, much cheaper and designed around 100mm travel, I can't speak for the DW version but if you turn the PP on the '08 is plenty effecient on the climbs. The DW bikes are fugly I agree, not that it really matters but for that kind of $ aesthetics should matter some IMO.
I have an '08 and I love it. I'm an XC guy at heart, and the 09 has moved too far away from the XC side for me. It will handle anything I can throw at it and I can still race on the thing. It's perfect for me. And it's not ugly.

#9 ·
MightySchmoePong said:
I have an '08 and I love it. I'm an XC guy at heart, and the 09 has moved too far away from the XC side for me. It will handle anything I can throw at it and I can still race on the thing. It's perfect for me. And it's not ugly.
I have one too and I don't really consider myself XC at heart, I have a DH bike that I also really enjoy riding and an RFX before that. The Sultan at 30+ lbs is really a short travel trailbike more so than an XCish bike, to me at least.

#10 ·
Obviously the OP hasn't read Aqua's review where he's proven conclusively that you can go bigger, ride faster, and get more chics with the Ego-link version. You wouldn't want all of the homers to kick sand on your '08 bike in a few months (after the stampede) would you?

#11 ·
Stripped my o8 for ebay the day after I read about the dw's at eurobike. Knowing turner, the o9 will be a major improvement in all facets of sultan territory. Climbing, efficiency, comfort, maneuverability. etc. etc. Of course its going to cost$$$. Turners always have. You get what you pay for. As far as appearance goes, these bikes only look as good as they perform. Save your skepticisms for specialized or trek. Give turner a break and pull out yer visa. If you don't do it this year, you'll only be one year older when you do!

#12 ·
Framesets of the DW Turners are a bit less comely than previous versions, but once built up, they look like a purposeful mountain bike to me.

Plus, if I want art, I can just go stare at my classic velvet version of Dogs Playing Pool. ;)

#13 ·
sthrnfat said:

I don't know about what height AtoC the 08 was designed around but I run the WB Fluid 110 w/ a 510 AtoC and find the handling to be really good. My build is XC oriented, it climbs well and is plenty versatile (through on some 5.5 spot rockers and a CCDB w/ a WB 135 and have an AM build....).

#14 ·
Based on what I've read of Turner he seems like a pretty meticulous and hands on guy that has worked hard to get his designs dialed. With as much success as the TNT bikes have had I can't imagine he would make the change to DW unless he saw it as a real improvement over the current stuff.

Guess I'm just trying to confirm all this to myself before making the leap to a first run design.

#15 ·
I rode the large Sultan demo a few weeks ago when it came back from Interbike. I haven't had much saddle time on other 29's, but I couldn't believe how fast, smooth, efficient and stoked I was to pedal it around for three hours. I have some money down and waiting impatiently on a bronze glimmer. Now I can't make up my mind on the fork.
FOX 120mm w/ no 20mm axle
or,
REBA 120mm w/ 20mm maxle

I have not ridden the 08' or earlier though I would like to.

Other bike choices were the 09' Niner RIP 9 or the 09' Intense Spider 29.

I liked the fact that I could ride the Turner before I bought and I was thoroughly impressed. I'm sure they are all nice, but it came down to the waiting period and it seemed Turner would be available sooner (by a month) and I need a bike now. Also the Sultan has a little more travel than the aforementioned. Oh yeah, I'm trying to keep my dollar in the USA. Turner's bushing system was a pro on my list as well.

R

#16 ·
sthrnfat said:
Based on what I've read of Turner he seems like a pretty meticulous and hands on guy that has worked hard to get his designs dialed. With as much success as the TNT bikes have had I can't imagine he would make the change to DW unless he saw it as a real improvement over the current stuff.

Guess I'm just trying to confirm all this to myself before making the leap to a first run design.
Definitely. My experience with Turner is it doesn't hit the street if it isn't quality. But it is your last comment that I agree with wholeheartedly and has we very much in a watch and wait.

I have an '08 and with everything that is said about the design change I think the fact is that the '08 is a very versatile bike and really can be built up and set-up to handle a variety of terrain and riding preferences. Coupled with if you can get an '08 in your size at the these close out prices, why wait?

I am very often concerned with bike companies making changes purely for change sake, which I don't think is the case here. But, that being said, I don't second guess buying an '08 at all, and enjoy this bike more than my last Turner or any other full suspension bike I've owned.

#17 ·
As someone with zero interest in the older TNT (is that the seatstay-pivot four-bar design?) frame, I am seriously thinking of going with the new Turner Sultan with the DW... or a Niner WFO. Hope to read lots of reviews here over the next month or two. If only Fox would release the 15mm or a 20mm F29...

#18 ·
I've read reviews and have received information from peeps that have ridden the demo DWL Sultan and the vast majority agree ( couple nitpickers :D ) the new designed frame is an excellent performer ! Do a search..........demo reviews have been posted which I've read on the 29er and Turner forums !

As for myself........ I'm very stoked about the DWL Sultan which will be my first Turner ! Everything about it sounds exactly what I'm lookin for in a 29er trailbike frame ! I think the 4.7 in. rear travel matched w a 120 mm Reba or Fox in front will work out quite nicely ! Plus I dig change and trying something different ( as long as its done right ) and look forward to experiencing the new DWL designed Turner as well as finally owning a frame that uses pivots with bushings that can be greased rather than bearings !

From what I've read.........if there are any issues that are common with the first batch of DWL Sultans I'm sure Turner will take care of it ( so no worries their either ) !

While I'm more for function over looks............I dig the the new look of the DWL Sultan in fact I pretty much knew I wanted one as soon as I read about and saw the new design ! While not for everybody...........it sounds ideal for me ! :thumbsup: TIG.

#19 ·
I really like the elevated chainstay design concept (like my Heckler) because we can get chainsuck here even with brand new equipment due to all the mud and goop... 2 hours into a ride when it's all clogged up not chewing up the frame is a nice bonus.

#21 ·
sthrnfat said:

common jason bust out a large build for me to demo, but i'm sure you would need the xl.

since were both local we can compare them, i'll let you demo my lg tnt sultan with 5.5 rockers and 09 rocco air, btw....blows away any fox air shock i've tried!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.