Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Don't Forget the Obvious!

515 views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  Ricisan 
#1 ·
I'm finishing my 3rd season of riding my hybrid. My spinning skills are improvong w/time and dist. I don't ride anything technical, but use my bike as a fitness tool. Along the way I have learned a few things the hard way that might help others.
I started out w/97 DB that was set up for smaller person. I rode it for a little while before changing to higher stem to raise the riser bars to comfortable level. I got some R7 forks that I will never have to upgrade, a gel seat and went to a 1x9 that I have never had a problem with.

In my quest to go faster/longer I changed the stem "lower" and went to a flat bar, got some clipless shoes and power straps. The new bar cut into my hands no matter what, my feet went to sleep and my back hurt. I added insoles to my shoes, no help. My attitude was that I needed to get lower to go faster?

I kept the lower stem, went back to riser bars and took off the straps. Now my feet can find the most comfportable spot on the pedals and I can change position as needed. I wasted a few months trying to get comfortable w/more aero position, but I couldn't get comfortable no matter what.
I now enjoy riding w/o pain and can train harder and more often. We will be doing our end of year finale 1/2 C or 100 K on Am River Bike Trail. We do something at the end of the season to close out the year on a high note. My best 1/2 C was 4:50 and I felt good.
The 100 K was a diaster. I bonked big time and had to crawl along to finish. That was a 7:30 hell ride.
I haven't gotten in as much training as I would like, but I know I can do much better on the 1/2 C. I think 4 hrs flat or better is a good goal for me. I hope this can help others in the same situation.

Ricisan

See less See more
#2 ·
Physician, heal thyself...

Ricisan said:
I'm finishing my 3rd season of riding my hybrid. My spinning skills are improvong w/time and dist. I don't ride anything technical, but use my bike as a fitness tool. Along the way I have learned a few things the hard way that might help others.
I started out w/97 DB that was set up for smaller person. I rode it for a little while before changing to higher stem to raise the riser bars to comfortable level. I got some R7 forks that I will never have to upgrade, a gel seat and went to a 1x9 that I have never had a problem with.

In my quest to go faster/longer I changed the stem "lower" and went to a flat bar, got some clipless shoes and power straps. The new bar cut into my hands no matter what, my feet went to sleep and my back hurt. I added insoles to my shoes, no help. My attitude was that I needed to get lower to go faster?

I kept the lower stem, went back to riser bars and took off the straps. Now my feet can find the most comfportable spot on the pedals and I can change position as needed. I wasted a few months trying to get comfortable w/more aero position, but I couldn't get comfortable no matter what.
I now enjoy riding w/o pain and can train harder and more often. We will be doing our end of year finale 1/2 C or 100 K on Am River Bike Trail. We do something at the end of the season to close out the year on a high note. My best 1/2 C was 4:50 and I felt good.
The 100 K was a diaster. I bonked big time and had to crawl along to finish. That was a 7:30 hell ride.
I haven't gotten in as much training as I would like, but I know I can do much better on the 1/2 C. I think 4 hrs flat or better is a good goal for me. I hope this can help others in the same situation.

Ricisan
It sounds to me like your bike frame is too small for you and you're trying to use a hybrid bike as a touring or road bike.

It's sort of like using a Smart Car to take a cross country trip. Sure, you can do it but you'd be much more comfortable in a touring sedan.

#3 ·
I Forgot to Mention

My riding partner and I are both over 50 w/many injuries. A bike w/o suspension is out of the question. The new stem put the riser bars in a comfortable place. I'm only 5' 8" so it wasn't that big of a change. The frame was fine, I just had to find what works best for me. A road bike would beat up my old body too much. I wouldn't be able to train has hard/long as I can w/HT. That is why I ride a hybrid. Trying to get better aeros for more speed is what got me into trouble in the first place.
I thought about making FS into Hybrid, but it isn't necessary right now.
I was trying to share my mistakes. I wasn't asking for opinions on a new bike.
I have been down this road before w/others.

Ricisan

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.