Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Put the bike away for the season?

2K views 37 replies 25 participants last post by  perttime 
#1 ·
Alright, so the snow is flying and it is really starting to look like I am done with my MTB until spring. I have a free "30-day" tune that I can have done to the bike anytime I want; the LBS said I could take the bike back in the spring and they would honor the free full-tune. Would it be better to get my bike tuned before I put it away for the winter, or should I wait until spring and get it checked out right before I start riding again? I have free "minor tunes" with my LBS which includes headset, front fork, etc. also. My bike is definitely out of whack, hydro's are noisy, headset/front fork seem loose, etc. Right now I am thinking of getting the full tune before I put it away, then a minor tune in the spring before I start riding again. Any suggestions?

#7 ·
Order some studded tires while you are taking the bike in for a tune-up.
Better yet, follow InvictaS1's advice and tune it yourself!
But, order some studs and have some cold, snowy, icy fun!
Nothin' beats the look of mystified snowmobilers as they see a mtn biker coming up the trail, leaving a trail of steam and exhalation like a locomotive. It's even better when the lights are blazing at night and they realize what you are. ;)

#8 ·
break out the thermals and studded tires get the full tune and jamm it...here in missouri its in the mid 30's and i went out today . no snow as of yet but im for shure gonna try to get out when it does.if it's so bad you could get lost i would'nt go but im shure there are some trail's close to you that you know well enough to be ok.talk to your lbs im shure they know of some rides/events that you could attend all winter long.

#9 ·
Ha it sounds interesting...keep in mind that I'm in the Upper Peninsula in Michigan...I think average snowfall in Houghton is about 120-150 inches (not a typo- thats 10-13 feet) and in January and February temps usually stay in the single digits. I think you guys may have talked me into trying some "winter riding" on mild days. In decent weather some long underwear and a softshell should be enough to stay comfortable. Around here I will have to watch out for XC skiers more than anything else...Snowmobile trails would be pretty dangerous, I'll probably stay off those.

#11 ·
cyrix said:
Nah, don't get long underwear. Invest in some well made base layer gear to wear underneath it all. It'll keep you warm as hell.
Some long underwear is a well made base layer, complete with moisture wicking and whatever else. Underarmor brand is way overpriced IMO.

I'm actually in Bismarck, ND and I'm contemplating how I'm going to keep riding this winter (my first winter after catching the bug). We just got some fairly heavy snow this last weekend, 9", and temps are in the 20's and 30's now. January and February are the about the same temps as the thread starter in the U.P., single digits. I'm going to have to outfit myself in a decent base layer, full finger gloves (might try using my fleece gloves), and some warmer shoes.

BTW, I was up in the U.P. on vacation with my family when I was younger and I bet you have some awesome MTBing around there. I think we went to Copper Harbor or something like that. I never knew MI Tech was in Houghton until that trip.

#13 · (Edited)
I was not aware that the season ever ended. I ride trails and commute year round in SLC. it does snow a bit (100+ inches in the mountains)and it gets a little cool, but once the trails are packed and iced over the riding really gets fun and then there is also the added bonus of not having to recondition yourself to riding in the spring. To address your question, have the adjustment done when needed so the bike is ready to go when you are. You may put it up thinking it will be spring b4 you climb back on, then find it to be a nice mild winter and wish it was up to par.

#19 ·
nate -- dog! -- I'm torn here! Since I'm off the bike until near-XMas, I could say: a.)park yours in mourning of MY lost rides (LOL!) or b.)stay on it, ONE of us hasta be!!

Get some flakes on the north side? Ain't seen a flake SE....

I think you might know -- if not for the c-bone (btw, healing nicely, steel plate & 8 screws look cool on the x-ray! already lifting the arm shoulder-high!), I'd still be out there thrashing & commuting!

With good layering, even winter riding is fun -- I've done it every winter since Y2K, only climb off when the surface conditions go too far.

#20 ·
you really dont need studded tires for winter riding. i've done a lot of riding over the past couple winter and regular knobby tires usually work fine even on ice/snow. a narrower knobby tire on the rear of your bike can usually help you get better traction in deep snow.

#23 ·
perttime said:
Even if you had too much snow to be able to ride... Shops tend to be busy in spring. Sometimes busy like "come back in two weeks".
Yeah, everybody waits till spring. Get it done now, to avoid being without a bike on a warm spring day.

#24 ·
Ride during the Winter

Make sure you stay away from trails that would be impacted or damaged during the wet months. Areas of the Country where the trail are frozen during the winter probably don't have those issues. Ask around at your local MTB shop for well drained trail systems and enjoy the ride. :D

+1 on the good clothing calls. It's no fun being cold and wet while riding.

#25 ·
+1 Get the bike tuned now.

For base layer, check out CW-X Insulator Pro Tights. They also come in non-insulated.

http://www.backcountry.com/store/CWX0041/CW-X-Insulator-Pro-Tights-Mens.html

"When the first big storm from Old Man winter hits, grab your snowshoes out of storage, and throw on the CW-X Insulator Pro Tights for your first jaunt of the season. The Insulator Pro Tights' surface temperature stays constant, so you can enjoy wintertime, instead of freezing in it. Quick-drying and breathable, these running tights keep moisture out to keep you moving. If the sun hits after the big storm, know that your skin will be protected with SPF 50 protection."

#26 · (Edited)
bigpedaler - we got some rain / snow mix saturday. I was planning on riding winona Saturday, but got there and it was raining. 40 degrees is too cold to ride in the rain, snow would have been different.

I rode with a few guys at Franke tonight. Nearly full moon, didn't even need the lights. Jogging pants, short sleeve jersey, and soft shell jacket and I was plenty warm after the first mile or so. We've built a few new red trails over the past couple of weekends.

Glad to hear you're healing up nice. Planning on riding the chilly challenge on new years?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.