Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Looking for an urban MTB

3K views 25 replies 12 participants last post by  2ndgen 
#1 ·
To make a long story short, about 10 years ago I crashed against a car. My bike was pretty damaged, I fixed it, but there are things that aren't right.
For that reason, and also beacause new things appeared in this long time, is that I'm looking for a new bike, an update. ;)

As you can imagine, I'm not updated with all this bike stuff, and that's why I'm asking you to help me. :)

I'm looking for an urban MTB, with good gears, shifters and brakes, but nothing too fancy.
Just something that can handle a bit of rough city riding.
I don't want to call the attention on the street, otherwise I'm going to be a nice target, and my bike won't last too lonng before it gets stolen.

Today visited the first bike shop, a GT shop, and I saw the new 2009 Aggressor and Outpost.

Aggressor - 340 US$
http://www.gtbicycles.com/usa/eng/Products/Mountain/Adventure/#5714

Outpost - 390 US$
http://www.gtbicycles.com/usa/eng/Products/Mountain/Adventure/#5795

I know that I can also get a Trek or a Gary Fisher, but I think that that's it, no more brand options over here(Uruguay).

See less See more
#5 ·
InvictaS1: thanks for your advice, I'll have it in mind. :)
I'll ask if they can replace the stock tires.

nealric: I like to jump and the streets aren't so nice over here, so a wider tire and a stronger bike is better.
I already have a bike like that, but I never use it because of this. ;)

JAKEEFER: I'll check if they have those two in stock, but the Mullet is out of my budget, I'm willing to pay 400 US$, or a lil bit less if possible.
The Opie is almost 500 US$, but I'll have it in mind. :)

Today I'm going to the shop that sells Trek and Gary Fisher bikes, I'll check what they have in stock and their prices.

There's a GT Outpost with discs in a local bid site for 370 US$, so I'll have to hurry.
As I've said, the GT Outpost with V-Brakes is 390 US$ at the shop.

#8 ·
What's the point of an urban mtb?
That's what I'm saying. Unless you are doing urban assault type stuff (tricks, etc.) or place a really high value on a plush ride, a MTB makes no sense in the city. A road bike will get you there faster and with less effort. Now, if you can on;y have one bike and want to ride some trails, that is a different story.

#9 ·
As I've already said, I have a road bike, but I never use it because the streets over here are in bad condition, and also because it cannot stand my way of riding, :)

I looked at comfort bikes, which seem to be in the middle of road/mtb, but they're more expensive than a MTB , and I don't want to spend so much money. ;)

#10 · (Edited)
Skylined said:
As I've already said, I have a road bike, but I never use it because the streets over here are in bad condition, and also because it cannot stand my way of riding, :)

I looked at comfort bikes, which seem to be in the middle of road/mtb, but they're more expensive than a MTB , and I don't want to spend so much money. ;)
Get the GT outpost. If u are for commuting/urban. Pls Pls.. don't get disc version as u mention, u don't want to attract attention and be a victim of bic thief. A V-brake is more than enough for urban riding. In thief mentallity, a disc bike equals a good bike.

I too use a MTB hardtail for commuting. I feel MTB is better for handling a harsher road too. Especially those bump,small rocks and debris on road side.

#12 ·
JAKEEFER said:
Gary Fisher makes a nice series of burly bikes. Check out the Mullet and the Opie.
The Opie was the first thing that came to mind when I read the thread title. It's a solid curb hopping, pot hole ignoring monster that isn't too expensive.

Although a Motobecane Outcast 29er or Redline Monocog with some fat Big Apple tires would be suitable alternates.

#13 ·
shimano4 said:
Get the GT outpost. If u are for commuting/urban. Pls Pls.. don't get disc version as u mention, u don't want to attract attention and be a victim of bic thief. A V-brake is more than enough for urban riding. In thief mentallity, a disc bike equals a good bike.

I too use a MTB hardtail for commuting. I feel MTB is better for handling a harsher road too. Especially those bump,small rocks and debris on road side.
You're right, that's what a friend of mine just told me, I don't want to call the attention, so disc isn't an option. Sad, but that's how it is.

I spoke to another friend who told me that I should go back to the Trek store and ask for a discount on the Gary Fisher Tarpon, because they've bought a lot of bikes, and if I name them, I might get a nice discount. It´s worth the try. :)

#17 ·
Well, I'm going for the Tarpon 2009.
I had to wait because it's only available in red, and I want silver.
They told me that they were going to get a new shipping of bikes, but they didn't know if there was any silver in it.
Today they told me that all those new bikes are red, so today my father might get mine, otherwise I'm going to get it tomorrow. :)

#18 ·
"I don't want to call the attention on the street, otherwise I'm going to be a nice target, and my bike won't last too lonng before it gets stolen."

If bike thievery is at all an issue and you can't keep your bike indoors both at home and at work, MTBs with quick-release parts are going to give you constant worry in case someone removes your wheels and seatpost. better to get a cheap clunker you can afford to lose for commuting, and a MTB for trail riding.

#19 ·
Last night I got the Tarpon.
I could try it for just a couple of minutes and I'm very happy with it. Today I'm going for a long ride. :)

Problem with thievery is just about the whole bike, and not just some parts.
Most of the bikes over here are crappy, so thieves aren't used to quick releases and stuff, they just get the whole bike with them.
That, and I never leave the bike alone, or in a place that I don't trust.

#23 ·
Skylined said:
Last night I got the Tarpon.
I could try it for just a couple of minutes and I'm very happy with it. Today I'm going for a long ride. :)

Problem with thievery is just about the whole bike, and not just some parts.
Most of the bikes over here are crappy, so thieves aren't used to quick releases and stuff, they just get the whole bike with them.
That, and I never leave the bike alone, or in a place that I don't trust.
I picked up an '07 Tarpon (that was practically new) this past Spring.
I know that it's much different from the newer G2, but mine is a nice ride.
It's the comfortable of my two Gary Fishers.
It''s a pleasurable bike to ride.

#24 ·
leoh said:
Not true. In Uruguay there are 3 more options: Giant, Scott and Zenith.
In Uruguay, THIS is the best option! Barbara Mori! Ahi dios mio! Que castigo!

I'm sorry thread guys, but the word Uruguay just reminded me of her...Google her, go to images! Jeeeezzz!

And for Leoh...

Es una descarada
Por ser la mas hermosa
No tiene casi nada,
Pero le gusta la vida cara

Y a mi me gusta ella
Y se cuanto me ama
Se que sueña conmigo,
Pero amanece en otra cama

Y el dinero le robo su corazon,
La mentira le desarmaron el alma
Y me tanto duele su dolor,
Mucho mas que su traicion
Yo naci para quererla aunque se vaya

*coro*
Mujer nadie,
Mujer de todos,
Mujer qe mata
Mujer que duele,
Mujer que entrega
y te arrevata
mujer tan cara
mujer ingrata
yo se que no me olvidaras aunque te vayas
yo se que no me olvidaras aunque te vayas

En mi cartera guardo
Su foto desgastada
En mi mayor fortuna,
Y mi desdicha la descarada
Yo seguire mi rumba
El mundo no se acaba
Esta vida es muy corta,
Te cobra y te paga

Y es que el dinero le robo su corazon,
La mentira le desarmaron el alma
Y me duele su dolor,
Mucho mas que su traicion
Yo naci para quererla aunque se vaya

But!

I digress!

:lol:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.