Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

How do you get so far back from your seat? Techniques?

1K views 24 replies 15 participants last post by  xenon 
#1 ·
Hey guys,

I'm still a beginner so please be patient, but I am having problems with getting really far back from my seat when I go down somewhere steep or off a ledge.

It always seems as if my crotch is only to the back of the seat, unlike some pics where I see the seat at some people's chest...

Do you think my seat is too high? When I try doing it just riding on flats to practice, I can't seem to get far back...

Any inputs? Thanks again!

Julian

#4 ·
Somewhat depends on how you fit your bike, but basically you slide your butt back beyond the rear of the seat and over the rear wheel, thus putting your torso over the seat. Lowering the seat for descents would help make this easier (but won't help for normal pedaling, one of the great advantages of a gravity dropper or similar seat post).

#5 ·
Thanks for the replies. They all make sense. Now what about the handlebars? Are you pulling on it a lot or is your body stable enough just to be holding onto it? This is what I mean:

o = my handlebar

-> = motion of force applied to handlebar

[--] = my seat

(__i__) = My butt

o ----> [--] (__i__)

Are you supposed to be pulling the handlebar like this to stablize yourself?

Thanks and sorry for the rudimentary diagram..

#6 ·
Yeah, you usually end up pulling back on the handlebar some. The lower your upper body is the less you will pull on the bars, but the better the odds of getting the wind knocked out of you by your seat.:eek: It happens to everyone I think. make sure you keep your pedals level until you get back in front of the seat or you will get stuck back there.

#8 ·
Something that helps me me is when I'm just riding around doing urban stuff, trying to get back as far as I can even if I'm coasting on a sidewalk. I have a hardtail XC bike and when I ride local trails they're rooty as hell. So getting back and absorbing the bumps with my legs helps a lot. Just keep riding trails that seem a little difficult and you'll eventually find your "flow" riding trails. It's second nature to me now. I know roots are coming and I get back and because of my stance my legs absorb the bumps yet my feet stay firmly planted because of the angles.

#10 ·
antonio said:
One mistake I often made when I first started riding was getting TOO far back at times.
Ah, I did that as well on steep drops. My ass would basically be far behind the wheel itself and I'd end up having the bike shoot out from underneath me. Some people expect a set limit on things like this but that's not the case. You know you have to get back in some instances, but that's as far as it goes. How far depends on what you're riding.

#11 ·
As you ride steeper and steeper stuff it comes naturally is all I can tell you, that or you go OTB. Lowering the saddle does help, but as said you need to really get low to get back since how far back you can get it limited by your arm reach, also it helps keep your weight closer to the ground and keep you more stable - that's why bikes geared more towards AM/FR/DH generally have smaller/shorter cockpits so the rider can get further back easier.

Below are 2 images of myself on my XL RIP9 with a 120mm stem, as you can see I can get way bacxk even with this XC setup by adjusting my height and really stretching out. If I went down something that really required me to get so far back, but did so as in the 1st pic I'd probably go OTB. however if I descended like in the 2nd pic everything would prob go smooth. By lowering the saddle it means you can get lower down, hence lower your CG even more.

Attachments

#12 ·
stay loses but stay in control

Ps.. There are some things (in between your lags) you may what to watch when you start to go off of really steep stuff, you may forget just how far back you are going and next thing you know your back tire will remind you its still there with a friendly hello!!! and you may not think its to friendly if you know what I mean..

Attachments

#14 ·
It's important to note that if you're wearing baggy shorts they can get caught on the seat so be careful. I typically wear bball shorts when I ride and this has happened to me if my seat is in "XC" position (ie a bit higher).

#15 ·
You should be able to achive the positions shown by LyNx without lowering the saddle. In other words, the saddle should be in a position where pedaling efficiency is maximized.

Remember that it is handlebar position that would prevent you from going behind the saddle, not saddle position, since the saddle is far below your crotch when you are out of the saddle.

#17 ·
serious said:
You should be able to achive the positions shown by LyNx without lowering the saddle. In other words, the saddle should be in a position where pedaling efficiency is maximized.
Exactly! Lowering the seat is not necessary.

One more thing: don't hurry to return from behind the saddle to the normal riding position. Make sure first, that both your wheels are already on more or less horizontal ground. Otherwise you risk to get a good kick by the back of your seat right where you want it least.

#19 ·
Also make sure to pay some attention to your feet / pedal position. It should come natural, but might not. You want the pedals to like those in the pic by Jeeptree and LyNx.

If you are still having trouble in the future, you can always try a shorter stem. I run a 60-70mm stem for XC...a personal preferance for me. (but I think the Pitch comes with a pretty short stem so that may not be a good option).

#20 ·
JayDial said:
Is it recommended to wear a cup while you are learning this? I dont like the idea of having all the rubber rotating that close to meh friends. Ya know?

J
It was where my poor English shone through. Actually, I meant, if you get up before both wheels are on flat surface, you risk to hit the back of saddle with your crotch. So, you'd better remain in the behind the saddle position a bit longer.
There is also some danger of hitting the rear tire with your thigh or butt. It happens mostly when, after a very steep drop, the trail flattens out sharply. Or after landing, particularly with dual suspension. Has happened to me a few times, never hurt nor caused any real harm. By the way, having a rear rack on hardtail solves the problem completely (one more reason to have rack on hardtail).
I don't think, wearing a cup may be needed, unless you are going to do some hardcore downhill.

#21 ·
xenon said:
It was where my poor English shone through. Actually, I meant, if you get up before both wheels are on flat surface, you risk to hit the back of saddle with your crotch. So, you'd better remain in the behind the saddle position a bit longer.
There is also some danger of hitting the rear tire with your thigh or butt. It happens mostly when, after a very steep drop, the trail flattens out sharply. Or after landing, particularly with dual suspension. Has happened to me a few times, never hurt nor caused any real harm. By the way, having a rear rack on hardtail solves the problem completely (one more reason to have rack on hardtail).
I don't think, wearing a cup may be needed, unless you are going to do some hardcore downhill.
Cool. Thanks for explaining that.

J

#22 ·
Interesting thread. I can get behind the seat, but apparently not as easy as the guy in the pics. He's got some long legs! I wonder if his seat if relatively low, compared to my setup.

The first time I descended a really steep hill, I got back just fine, controlled my descent just fine, then broke a rib when the hill flattened out and the seat compressed my chest. Not sure how common that is, but just be careful where you try this until you become proficient.

#23 ·
JayDial said:
Cool. Thanks for explaining that.

J
And, one more secret of profession. To get back onto the saddle, push your rear end back first, only then up and forward. The purpose is to prevent your crotch from moving too close to the back of saddle, which often causes shorts or whatever you are having on to get caught.

#24 ·
My saddle is at full extension, 32.5" top of saddle to BB, I have a 35.25" inseam and although long legs help, long arms helped way more.

I fully believe that if I can't ride it with my saddle in normal riding position I need to walk it till I can - although I did find lowering the saddle a bit while in CO on a few things gave me a bit more confidence to try them knowing I wouldn't get hooked up on the saddle as easily as I wear baggies and have gotten hook on the saddle trying to get back on it several times. AND yes I have had my baggies and luckily not my jewels buzzed by the rear tyre.

tduro said:
Interesting thread. I can get behind the seat, but apparently not as easy as the guy in the pics. He's got some long legs! I wonder if his seat if relatively low, compared to my setup.

The first time I descended a really steep hill, I got back just fine, controlled my descent just fine, then broke a rib when the hill flattened out and the seat compressed my chest. Not sure how common that is, but just be careful where you try this until you become proficient.

#25 ·
tduro said:
I am much heavier built, than LyNx (in the photo), have neither long legs, nor long arms, ride two bikes, both one size larger, than I supposedly need, with seat moved back to the limit. The height of my saddle is more or less like LyNx's - a bit above the bars. I never lower it for descents.
I think, if I have no trouble getting behind the saddle and back on, no one should.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.