Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Sandbagging and possuming?

1K views 22 replies 19 participants last post by  jayjudy13 
#1 ·
What is sandbagging? (in a race context)
What is possuming? (also in a race context)

I was wondering because I was accused of both these things after a race. It was my first race ever and I happened to win. I didn't tell anyone it was my first race. One person accused me of sandbagging (that seemed to have a negative connotation). Another person accused me of possuming (and I couldn't really make out whether he meant it as negative or not).

For most of the race, I paced myself, realizing that I would need my "afterburners" for the end of the race (can you tell I'm new to this?). About 7/8ths of the way through the race, I poured on my hardest sprinting effort which ended up giving me a lead. Isn't this what you are supposed to do? Did I upset someone with this strategy? Did they feel I was dishonest? Did I do something wrong?

Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks.

#2 ·
I've never heard of possuming...but I assume it means to 'play-dead' possibly referring to your pacing then sudden sprint at the end. (i don't necessarily think it's a 'bad' thing)
Sandbagging is when you enter in a division lower than your ability. Since this was your first race ever, I wouldn't worry about it, as you had no basis as to which division you should compete in.
If you enter another race and you take first again (by alot)...time to move up

#8 ·
JAKEEFER said:
So, let me get this right? He's Sandbagging because he's winning and his success should be penalized by immediately moving up a class? Even though he had to sprint for the win? If it was a walk off, nobody close victory, that'd be different.
I think it is assumed it was a walk off no one close

#10 ·
JAKEEFER said:
So, let me get this right? He's Sandbagging because he's winning and his success should be penalized by immediately moving up a class? Even though he had to sprint for the win? If it was a walk off, nobody close victory, that'd be different.
I think giving it one more shot in the same class is OK. My problem would be if (like you said) he "constantly won". If he took some other finishes like 2nd, 3rd, 4ths... and still won the championship - that is great. Knowingly competing at a lower level than your ability is wrong and will earn you the rep (and rightfully so ) as a bagger.

#11 ·
BUT the whole point of beginning anything is to learn. Untill he learns the race formats, gains some experience, etc, there is NOTHING wrong with being in the beginners class. Maybe it would make some people train a little harder and take it more seriously seeing someone come in for their first race, green as can be, and have better endurance and riding ability. It only means they will be in the beginner class longer than he will. Nothing to really say about the fact he's better.

#12 ·
Unless he absolutely destroyed the field, I'd say stay in the beginner class for at least 3 races. If he places in the top 3 to 5 in races that are different in venue, number of participants, etc, then think about moving up.

If he destroyed the field in his first race, then maybe he needs to move up sooner.

#13 ·
I would guess possuming would be acting like you are tired (ie "playing dead") so other people back off a bit and then blowing by them. IMHO, if it's your first race, and you did really well, people are going to say this. Especially in the beginner class. You were likely in better shape and/or had more experience than others in the race. You can't help that, so ignore them for now.

#16 ·
agreed with whats been said before sandbagging is when one competes in a lower class they know they will win for the purpose of winning. since it was your first race again don't worry about it run at least a few more and see how it goes. if your consistently in the top 2-3 after a few races see what the possibility is about moving up to see how you do and if you feel you need to move back down if your able to.

I've never heard the term possuming either (in terms of racing) but I don't see anything wrong with running a slightly slower pace in order to have the extra "umph" at the end so you can possibly get a slightly better place since you don't necessarily want to be burned out and maybe lose a few places because you didn't pace yourself

the only other advantage he may have had was if it was somewhere he was fairly familiar with to begin with so he would possibly have an idea of better lines to take then those who weren't as familiar with the same "track"

#19 ·
A few races I've done I'd finish first by a big margin, but in other races I struggled. To me it depended on terrain. I have terrible climbing endurance but pin it going down and can sprint in short burst like Usain Bolt on crack. So on tracks with smaller climbs I did great, tracks with larger climbs, not so much. Some people accused me of similar things. And to be honest, it's pointless to try to reason with people like this. Some people are just very VERY sore losers.

Try not to take it personally, I know it's hard but that's all you can do.

#20 ·
If it's your first race then it can't be sandbagging. If you finish the season within the rules as a beginner, go for it and screw the naysayers. That's what racing's all about. Not that racing's all about that much in the first place.

I love the possuming thing, never heard that one before (and love the comment about having hung by the tail thing). If your strategy is to save something for the end, go for it. You wouldn't believe how many pro racers will draft someone only to pass them at the end, and that's considered "good" strategy although that's pretty lame, too. But that's racing.

Racing isn't ethical in many ways. Just look at those with special nutrition and advice, and ability to train at altitude, let alone those using drugs. Don't worry about it and kick ass whenever you can...

Congrats on your first race with a win!

#21 ·
Opinions...

1. You can't sandbag your 1st race.
2. Possuming might be a local thing to describe a strategy.
3. You didn't mentioned whether it was a series or a race. I suspect it's just a race, based on the time of year. As someone else said, compare your finish times with the other classes to give yourself an idea of the class that you'll be competitive in.

Congratulations on your win.

#23 ·
According to USA Cycling/NORBA rules you can stay in Beginner Class until you have placed top 5 Five times. Winning your first race (even by a large margin) doesn't make you a sandbagger. Anyone who called you one is just bitter, plain and simple.

That said you might want to move up to increase your personal challenge if you are a good enough rider. Things get more competitive very quickly as you advance.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.