Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

spindle length with syncros road cranks

1K views 14 replies 5 participants last post by  haaki 
#1 ·
So I have a set of syncros revolution road cranks with the 130 bcd.
I am going single speed with a 39 or 40 tooth salsa chainring up front, since that is about as low as you can get in 130bcd. This is on a 94-sh slingshot with a most likely 73 mm shell (just measured again and it comes in at 71mm so maybe faced a few times..)

I have done some searching and I have seen people saying in the range of 110-115

bikepro has
syncros road 109mm x 68mm - English
syncros mountain 117.5mm x 68mm - English and 117.5mm x 73mm - English

I just found that have a un53 with a 118 in my spares box, there is also a gently used phil that I have a line on is 119 (I would gain a bit of adjustment with the cups there, and its a phil)

So any ideas/thoughts. I would be happier making a guess if I had the mountain version of the cranks. I am also unsure if the arms are any different between the mountain and road versions or is it just the spider and the spider bolts.

See less See more
#4 ·
Not to hijack the thread, but since bb spindle length questions come up fairly often, it seems like it would be a worthwile project for someone to put together a database/spreadsheet showing what the recommended spindle length is for various cranks. Or does something like this already exist? I have a set of old Sakae SXs that I am getting ready to put on a bike but need to find the appropriate length.

#5 ·
muddybuddy said:
Not to hijack the thread, but since bb spindle length questions come up fairly often, it seems like it would be a worthwile project for someone to put together a database/spreadsheet showing what the recommended spindle length is for various cranks. Or does something like this already exist? I have a set of old Sakae SXs that I am getting ready to put on a bike but need to find the appropriate length.
The database already exists. WIDGTSB (When In Doubt Go To Sheldon Brown). http://www.sheldonbrown.com/bbsize.html

#6 ·
and not to further Hi-Jack

but if you are a larger, aggressive, and/or powerful rider I would not suggest using the Revolutions
I broke a crank arm at the joint where the pedal thread barrel joins the arm. This caused an instant reverse spin of the crank and torn, raw metal meeting the back of my calf.
What followed was a 12 mile ,one footed, bloody pedal bak to my truck and a trip to the ER
for a large number of stitches and a 3.75" scar that looks like a nike swoosh

#10 ·
I'm a graphic designer

when it happened it was right after the "Just Do It" campaign started

I actually sent them a photo (actually a ad mock-up), thought they could use it in the campaign. Nice Black and White, Nike MTB Shoe, Swosshy Scar

and Mike if you ever run into any 130 Ibis Steel Quill Stems you want to get rid of, please drop me a PM
heck I'd even use Salsas, I have a 120 Salsa Quill to trade (Black with Color Graphics)
I have 2 Hakkalugis that need longer stems.
I grew up in Sonoma but used to pass through your turf on my way out to surf Drakes.
maybe I'll try to swing by when I am home for the holidays

glad all is well out there in west marin

#12 ·
haaki said:
has Black Mountain been there forever?
I remember a shop just off the main drag (Rt 1) that had Cunninghams, Potts, Ritchey, etc...
back in the early 80s
That was Point Reyes Bikes. They haven't been here for about 15 years. I've only been here for about 15 months. Similar vibe, though. Just had someone today tell me it felt like they walked into the old bike shop.

#13 ·
Sounds About right

ssmike said:
That was Point Reyes Bikes. They haven't been here for about 15 years. I've only been here for about 15 months. Similar vibe, though. Just had someone today tell me it felt like they walked into the old bike shop.
as they weren't on the main drag, 1 block off if memory serves me right

I'll have to send my brother by at some point. He was 2 vintage Fishers and lives in San Anselmo but has some property in Bo-Bo Land.

You should load up with $$$$ and hang in Fairfax and S.A. on weekends. My brother says he sees vintage MTBs used as townies by moms all the time. I keep telling him to tackle anyone riding a XL sized C-Ham, if they exist

#14 ·
haaki said:
as they weren't on the main drag, 1 block off if memory serves me right

I'll have to send my brother by at some point. He was 2 vintage Fishers and lives in San Anselmo but has some property in Bo-Bo Land.

You should load up with $$$$ and hang in Fairfax and S.A. on weekends. My brother says he sees vintage MTBs used as townies by moms all the time. I keep telling him to tackle anyone riding a XL sized C-Ham, if they exist
They exist and your place in line for an XL 'ham would be right behind me ;)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.