Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Awesome new spine/back protector from POC - can you say flex?

2K views 11 replies 8 participants last post by  juanbeegas 
#1 ·
Hey Folks,

Came across POC at Interbike this year. POC is trying to make the transfer from a snow sports protection company into the two wheel craziness.

One of the products I really thought was awesome is their mesh vest spine/back protection that is flexible. It uses d3o like material. One of the things I've personally had a hard time dealing with is the lack of mobility in solid plastic back protectors. I feel just too limited and restricted in movement.

I got this in for review, going to put it through the ringer over the next month. Here are some images and a quick little video showing off the flex.

So far, from my quick little try on at the office I hardly notice it is there. Actually, the size is a XS/S - I'm 6'4" ... and have NEVER worn a XS/S anything. But after zipping up, it feels great. Guess there is some stretch in this fabric!

http://services.brightcove.com/services/viewer/federated_f8/1494779147

Attachments

See less See more
#6 ·
Awesome!!!!!

SO I just got done doing a couple runs pedaling up and solid run down boy scout and this POC back protection is AWESOME AMAZING SO FREAKING RAD!!! I am super stoked on this thing.

1st - the mesh vest breaths just like a jersey, and the padding on the back keeps you warm but no where close to over doing it.

2nd - I CAN MOVE in this gear. I can bend over, back, rotate my shoulders and bend my mid section for tables and other stuff. I think I'm in love!

So far, the only thing I can figure, it you go OTB and mash your chin in the ground and have you legs go over your skull this might not be as helpful as a solid plastic back protector, but otherwise, AWESOME!!!

If you are like me and generally dislike wearing armor because you feel restricted in it, this is for you. But this one, this one I am wearing, this one I am going to wear from now on, this one is for ME!

here is the product pdf: site

I'll find out about price and when/where you can buy.

I'll also have a more in depth review in a few more weeks!

#9 ·
Judging from their prices here, in Singapore, they may run in the 2++ range, on average, for you guys over there(they're about SGD$250 - SGD$3++)? They're fairly similar to another company's range. I can't remember the name of that other company though... I'll try and get the name up later after work.

#10 ·
brillantesdv said:
if the XS/S fits a 6'4" guy perfect...is there an XXXS size for us riders that are like 5'4" ?
it doesn't fit absolutely perfect - there is a bit of pull around the neck from the small size - but - i'll see if it stretches out. I remember them saying something at Interbike about sizes and tags not being matched up. I look into this for my review and get it all straightened out for you.

to be honest - the 1 thing i was worried about was that the vest would be too loose to move the padding with my body. now, i maybe running a size too small for me, in fact i must be, but it really isn't over tight, basically feels like a tight Lycra undershirt. but, what this does do is keep the padding very close to my body. maybe this helps to move the padding, which is obviously a much thicker, harder, heavier material than the mesh vest. either, don't care, it totally works and is simply amazing. though i've yet to let someone hit me in the back with something, but that is coming.

#11 ·
juanbeegas said:
Judging from their prices here, in Singapore, they may run in the 2++ range, on average, for you guys over there(they're about SGD$250 - SGD$3++)? They're fairly similar to another company's range. I can't remember the name of that other company though... I'll try and get the name up later after work.
Dainese?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.