Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Medical type question....

2K views 22 replies 17 participants last post by  tjkm 
#1 ·
Any of the fellas out there ever have this problem....

On a few recent rides around the neighborhood my junk has fallen asleep while riding, in addition to my butt. It doesn't happen when riding the trails, just tooling around the neighborhood with the kiddo on the back of the bike or riding canals. I'm guessing its because I'm always on the seat for those rides, but I know it shouldn't be happening, its not fun for me. Is my seat too high? Anyone want to fess up to this same problem?

#2 ·
I am happy to say that I have never experienced your problem. Your seat must be positioned improperly or as you say just too high. Have you tried a different seat? I'm sure that your local bike shop would let you swap seats for a ride around the parking lot to see if it feels better.

#4 ·
If you've narrowed it down to where you are certain you are not masturbating with Flexall, then you likely have a seat position and/or seat that is placing undo pressure on your perennium (aka choad, guch, or taint). You need to make sure that you position your seat in a way that relieves this area. If this does not work, maybe pop for a new seat. I would also check for circulation with your doctor the next time you have a visit.

#5 ·
stem height or bar position can also come into play - leaning too far forward etc. I had some nard pain years ago when switching bikes - raising the bars half an inch helped a lot. Are you clutching the bars hard or hunched in the cockpit since you're towing the trailer (and deviating from your normal posture)?

#6 ·
Is the tooling around the neighborhood (with the kiddo on the back of the bike or riding canals) a recent development in your riding activities or is this something you have done all along and just now are experiencing the numb?

Same bike as you use on the trails or different bike?

A seat change can make a huge difference as well as seat/posture positioning.

#7 ·
It's happened with both bikes (kid carrier and MTB), but only when I stay sitting on the seat. I'm not too sure I am leaning too far forward on the MTB, I've looked at some online fitting suggestions and it seems that the seat is forward the right distance for me by looking at my knee in relation to the pedals etc. The bars may be too low, I'll check that.

Circulation could be an issue too, one of my feet falls asleep when I run for 30 minutes or more... Different shoes helped increase that time from 15minutes up to 30, but I still get numbness when I run.

#8 ·
chollaball said:
stem height or bar position can also come into play - leaning too far forward etc. I had some nard pain years ago when switching bikes - raising the bars half an inch helped a lot. Are you clutching the bars hard or hunched in the cockpit since you're towing the trailer (and deviating from your normal posture)?
This makes sense too. What's a proper position for the back to be in, something like 45 degrees? Maybe I'll put the gooseneck on the bike like I had when I was a kid so I can sit straight up...

#9 ·
dukedante said:
This makes sense too. What's a proper position for the back to be in, something like 45 degrees? Maybe I'll put the gooseneck on the bike like I had when I was a kid so I can sit straight up...
sorry but I don't know. Just know that I do find myself really scrunching up sometimes with the effort of the kid-trailer.

#10 ·
This might sound a little strange, but you may want to go to the doc and have your prostate checked. I remember reading a while back an article in Mountain Bike mag or something about how some men experience what you are experiencing and even discharge and how their prostate was affected by the seat position and whatnot. It can lead to some serious health problems if not addressed properly.

Not trying to freak anyone out, just making all my fellow "brothers from other mothers" aware for their health's sake.

#14 ·
It may not be seat position as much as the seat itself.

I have an 07 Specialized Enduro Pro. The stock seat didn't bother me on mountain bike rides but if I rode canals, I would experience different issues.:nono:

I bought a good WTB with the groove in it and I can ride 20 miles on the canals without ever putting a foot down and my junk feels fine.:D

#15 ·
I had a buddy who had this exact problem (cough). He said that it only happened on his road bike when he stayed seated for extended periods. It helped (him) if he rose out of the pedals every once in a while. Im pretty sure its just a pinched nerve, I wouldnt worry much unless it is persistent off the bike, but what do I know.

#16 ·
try a different saddle.. had a cheap one do this to me
(saddle that is.. git yer minds outta the gutter! :D)
on a fixie that I no longer have.

was intensely strange, and *not at all* pleasant when
it started "coming to" so to speak.. uuugh not cool

If I stay down on my road bikes 'drops' and forward in
a more aero/TT position the selle saddle I have causes
this somewhat.

#19 ·
I have the same issue when climbing in the saddle for a long time. I think need to slide the seat forward so that the seat is cradling my butt bones(ever so gingerly) instead of my gooch supporting all of my weight. Thanks for making me feel like I wasn't the only one with a "dead" junk!!

#20 ·
I switched to this saddle on my road bike and it is pretty fricken unbelievable. I feel like I could ride all day and not be uncomfortable. It is ugly as hell, but it gets the job done.

http://www.rido-cyclesaddles.com/construction-c15.html

Oh yeah, I had to get something like this because after about 1 and a half hours on the bike, I was numb.

#21 ·
Wow, that saddle is ugly! Looks like a boomerang or something. I'll try all the methods listed and see what works. ("An all of the above approach")......
Sounds like I'm not the only one with this problem, I thought it was just my boney butt that was the culprit..

#22 ·
dukedante said:
Wow, that saddle is ugly! Looks like a boomerang or something. I'll try all the methods listed and see what works. ("An all of the above approach")......
Sounds like I'm not the only one with this problem, I thought it was just my boney butt that was the culprit..
Yeah, it is ugly, but I would rather have an ugly comfortable saddle than a sleek looking arse-hatchet.

#23 ·
Forgot to tell you when I sold you the bike about the sneaky seat I put on there called the numbnuts 100. haha!

Hope the adjustments and new saddles suggested here help ya out. On a serious note, I get numb in my left arm sometimes, not too often when riding.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.