Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Iron Mountain First Timer

663 views 8 replies 4 participants last post by  mtbAndy 
#1 ·
Coming up from one state south to ride the Iron Mountain trail system this weekend.

Driving up Friday, and planning on starting the weekend Saturday morning at Adventure Damascus to acquire a map and get some general directions and pointers.

Any suggestions on places to eat, places to stay, things to see and do while in the area?

#2 ·
The best place to eat in town is Dot's and they have good cold beer there too. This time of year town is going to be crowded with leafers. It could be fun to sit along the creeper trail and watch them wreck as they pay more attention to watching leaves than riding. As far as things to do, well... there are the mountain bike trails. If you get really bored you could wander town looking for a party but watch out for the meth heads.

Trails to check out would be the Rush trail, Mock Holler (actually a section of the Iron Mtn Trail), Lum, Chestnut, Beech Grove.... the list could keep going.

#4 ·
I don't know of any motels in Damascus but there are cabins and B&B's. This link seems to have a good list. http://www.damascus.org/lodging.html
There are motels just up the road in Abingdon and any food you might want if Dot's or the Italian place don't suit you. Bella's in Abingdon has some really good pizza and beer, it's just off I81on the same exit you'll take for Damscus (assuming your coming from I81 and not across from Mountain City).

#5 ·
AD is a good place for directions & map. There are several cabin rentals & B&B's in town which Hank's link should, uhh, link you to. You might need reservations this being leaf-look'n season. I would reccommend Damascus Eats for food (closed Sundays) and Dots is great for cheeseburgers, wings & beer. I would not eat at the 'Italian' place in town. Have fun.

#8 ·
Iron Mountain Experience?

Stayed in Abingdon, as pretty much all the lodging in Damascus was already booked.

Pedalled/pushed about 28 miles on Saturday - and I swear that 90% of it was uphill :skep:

This is what I rode, and where I rode - did I completely miss the Iron Mountain experience?

26" SS, 33/17 (yeah, it was painful....:thumbsup: )

From downtown Damascus, Fourth Street to the (301) Iron Mountain trailhead...
Up, Up, Up, Up, Up.....
To 615, then Up 615 and picked up (301) Iron Mountain trail again....
Up, Up, Up to Shaws Gap
(4554) BearTree Gap, (4627) Yancy, little stretch of 837 to (4554) Straight Mountain
Up, Up, Up and over/under/around tons of deadfall (does anybody even ride this trail?)
Down 58 to SR728
Tried to find (4555) Taylors Valley but couldn't (is that really the entrance right across from where the AT joins the Creeper?)
..so rode the Creeper, crossed 58 and picked up (4552) Beech Grove
Up, Up, Up, Up....then hopped back onto (301) Iron Mountain back down to the Fourth Street trailhead just as the light started to fail....:thumbsup:

Oh yeah - aside from the stretch on the Creeper - only met 2 cyclists (going _downhill_) and 3 hikers the entire time.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.