Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

2008 Race Season Comes to an End

556 views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  cableguy46 
#1 ·
2008 Race Season Comes to an End

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This past weekend was the Bear Creek Summer Showdown, last Race of the MASS series for 2008. I started the year out in California with my first race on February 10th 2008...since then this past weekend completed 30 total races for the season..way too many! I started getting burned out approx a month ago...tried to revive my spirt by doing group fun rides during the week so as not to think of it as "training", but I guess I just needed to take the time off, would have been better all around...Oh well I did survive...

Finished up the weekend in 10th out of 10 in the Single Speed class, and 4th overall for the season...I am very proud of myself for the acomplishments gained this year...Competing in the SS class in the beginning was somewhat humbling never having the opportunity to stand on the podium (once this year)going against the "young guns" did become rather fun "ribbing" some of the youngins that this old man just about beat ya.. For you non-racers, the Single Speed class is "open", it does not have an age range like the other classes...which I will compete in next year, the 50+ guys (if my Doctor permits).

Bear Creek is a very suitable race course for a finale...it has climbing that will sap your lungs...rocks like you've never seen...lots and lots of them, strangley very few log hops...funny I remember last year "blasting" through this course, granted I was on a full suspension geared bike and we only had one lap to do...I think this year with "burnout" and SS it got the best of me...I was determined to finish even if I had to walk the whole course, which it felt like on the last lap...the rocks actually felt good today, I went through most all the rock gardens riding them and not "dabbing". But the hills really took their toll...I had to pay close attention to my heart rate this race so I spent alot of time recovering on the hills by walking and then "bombing" on the DH's.

I will really miss the weekend races for the group of friends vs. the races themselves, that is the biggest fun about racing...hanging out with all my new buddies...hopefully we can all continue to get together throughtout the fall and winter doing "fun" rides...I know there is a Jamboree in Nov. so I'm already counting down the days...I really enjoy my group rides on Tuesday night and Wednesday night, their all a super bunch of guys to ride with...now if I can include maybe some additional nights...and for you that know, don't forget we still have to complete on "adventure" at Patapsco real soon...

After my upcoming Doctor appointments I'll keep you all abreast as to my riding abilities, may need to slow down a bit for a while, we'll see...until then, keep pedaling, rubber side down, and all those other cliches, c-ya on the trails...

Oh yeah, and BIG thanks to everyone for making this past year so great!!! Love ya all for your support and encouragement, but most especially just for your friendship, it means alot to me to hear you all acknowlege me at the races and I apologize to you if I had not remembered your name....I do remember your faces though, and it makes me very happy to have done something for you too. Again THANKS!!!

SS Punk "1 Firkin Gear"

See less See more
#2 ·
Greetings from Singapore! Glad to hear you survived the season. In the short time I've been here, I've noticed a few mountain bikes (nice ones too) on paved trails and I can't wait to get back to our weekly rides in Patapsco. Hopefully, I will have gotten my new ride by the time we do our little epic trip.

#3 ·
WOW!!! On vacation and ya can't get enough of us...miss ya too...HAHAHAA...the ride last night was fun, Larry came out it was great to see him....you better get a new bike, even after all the time Larry missed he was smokin it, I was very impressed with his conditioning after all these weeks...must be the bike!!! See it makes a difference... enjoy your vacation, the trails will still be here waiting for ya...say hi to the family for us.

Ed

#4 ·
Ed, good job man!! Time only permitted me a few races this year, but I hope to take in more of the fun in '09! I think I'm going to try the Michaux series. Are there going to be any time changes for the weeknite rides? I'm going to try and get out for a few. Weather, and time constraints, has kept me on the road bike here lately. Anyhow, glad you made it!

Jeff

#5 ·
No changes that I'm aware of, other than bring our lights, it'll start gatting dark by the end of the rides real soon....the Michaux series is something else...did the Terror of Teabury last year, that is a tough course...next year (barring doctors orders) I'll be doing pretty much just enduro (time) races...

Ed

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.