Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Loch Raven Trailhead etiquette?

646 views 8 replies 8 participants last post by  d_m_b 
#1 ·
Last night my riding partner and I were yelled at out of a car window for the route that we took to get to the trailhead on Seminary. We both parked on the street in front of the church, and then crossed Dulaney with the green light and then rode in the street for the 1-200 yards to the trailhead. We used hand signals to cross traffic to get into the trail. As we did this, a guy in a car yelled "Guys, there's an earlier trailhead. USE IT!" I know that he's talking about that path that runs parrallel to the the north side of the street, then comes back out the road about 20 yards prior to the trailhead. You have enter the road almost blindly and then ride against traffic to go this way, which is why we don't go that way. I know that we slowed that poor man down for all of 12 seconds, but who is in the wrong here? Should I be doing as he said, or is it perfectly fine to ride in the road? It's obviously perfectly legal to do what I did, but do you guys not do it to avoid annoying the residents nearby?

#4 ·
Tell him he is a monkey and to suck it.

most people are very nice there and will wait behind the riders. You used legal hand signals and this is good enough. I do not use the early "head" because of popping out into oncoming traffic. You were exactly right. As imature as it sounds, I usually yell something just as dumb in response or throw up the finger. Remember, you can always identify him by license plate and most likely he wont chase you into the woods. Dont woory about these guys...unless you are cutting cars off. That is why road riding blows, angry drivers and we as riders cant control the situation. If I hit a tree in the woods, its my fault, not some dumb schmuck driver who probably can read or ride a bike on his own.

Sorry for the rant, I really just hate these people and know that this is the best way into this particular trailhead.

G

#5 ·
The guy didn't do anything dangerous or overly aggressive. The tone of his yell made it sound like we were stupid and doing something wrong, like maybe he lives a block away or is even a rider, and was trying to get us to take the other little trail in the future. I bothered asking the question b/c he didn't entirely sound like some intolerant guy with road rage. We didn't even see him, and only heard him as we were dropping into the trail, so he was probably a few cars back.

#9 ·
that part where the trail pops back out onto the road is pretty silly...i wonder why it doesn't cut straight across. it looks like there's a little stream there, but seriously... big rocks? i'll have to look again next time i'm out there.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.