Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

What should I take or buy?

660 views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  whit022000 
#1 ·
Okay two things,

On saturday I purchased my first real bike, I had GT that belonged to my sister and the only bike I had was a BMX GT, so I bought a Trek 4300 Disc 2009. I was on a limited budget for the time being, and so far love the bike. The only thing is, I know I have had my bike for almost a week now but the saddle is uncomfortable. What is the greatest, 50-60$ max, investment on a good saddle? and when will I know its time for my bike to get its first post-break in tune up?

Another question, this weekend, which I am still hoping for. I am going out to Patapsco, with a friend of mine around noon we figured in case we get lost we would have time to find our way back. We plan on purchasing a map for the trails, and where do they sell them? and what should I take or buy this week before I go up there this weekend? I have tire levelers, a 10 multitool, and patch kid. With some First Aid, but am willing to go to REI or where I have to buy some new stuff. We do plan on being there for a while.

I live in VA btw.

#4 ·
ymduhh said:
Okay two things,

and when will I know its time for my bike to get its first post-break in tune up?

We plan on purchasing a map for the trails, and where do they sell them? and what should I take or buy this week before I go up there this weekend? I have tire levelers, a 10 multitool, and patch kid. With some First Aid, but am willing to go to REI or where I have to buy some new stuff. We do plan on being there for a while.

I live in VA btw.
You'll know when the rear derailleur starts shifting on its own or you start to hear a lot of clicking when you try to shift. This means the cables have stretched and it's time to adjust them (and some other things). Usually about 1 month or 4-8 rides, depending on how often you ride, how long you ride on each ride, and the type of terrain.

I would buy a spare tube. The patch kit is nice in emergiencies, but tubes are cheap and much quicker to just replace a tube than dealing with a patch. Fix the tube when you get home. You'll need a minipump or CO2 cartridges. You did not mention them in your gear list. Other things that are handy for longer rides where you may be a long way from the parking lot (but you can get away with not having for now) are a spare rear derailleur hangar and a chain tool.

Of course water and water bottles or a hydration pack and some way to carry spare parts, tools, etc (hydration pack or seat bag). You probably have something already if you have the tire levers (not levellers, BTW). Most MTBers prefer the hydration pack because you can carry more water and it is easier to drink from (no need to tsake hands off handlebars).

I've probably forgotten something, but hopefully someone else can add their input.

TS

#5 ·
Before I went and bought a new seat make sure it is adjusted properly for you. Generally this is done at the time of purchase but changing shoes or riding clothes can affect such. When I upgraded to a new high line bike the seat was EXTREMELY uncomfortable. A trip to the LBS (local bike shop) with my cleats and riding shorts resulted in a very comfortable and proper riding position (and it was at no charge). I definately make up for it with other purchases. Make sure you have a bottle cage and water bottles or a hydration pack for longer rides. Stretch good before and after, and most importantly have fun.

I meet and ride with some of the nicest people out on the trails. Everyone, for the most part, is very humble and non-judgemental. They are truly "all about the ride".

#6 ·
Troutboy:

Okay cool, then I know its possibly time for a adjustment because the clicking when I would shift down started yesterday. I have ridden everyday since I bought the bike, and been riding at Wakefield for about 1-3 hours, I just cant seem to get enough of riding :) So I might take it to get it adjusted either today or tomorrow. Thanks for the signs to look for.

Oh and thanks for the sp check on the levers, yeah I have a 50 or 60 oz water pack, and water bottle. I am going to buy a tube this week (maybe tonight), I have a mini pump I bought with my little equipment list. But looks like I will need to purchase another little bag or something to put the tubes and such in, or maybe a bigger hydration pack.

Whit022000:

Thanks for the advice I am going to try to adjust the seat before I go out to ride tonight. See how that affects and works, because I do own a pair of padded bike shorts I bought a few weeks ago. So with that it should be just fine then, I have had nothing but fun ever since I started to do trail riding. I am really looking forward to this weekend as it will be my first time at a very big place :)

To everyone else:

Thanks for the recommendations for new seats and where to go, I will look into them if what whit does not work for me. Thanks :)

#7 ·
i use the specialized rival, in the 143 width because I'm a bigger guy (about 200lbs), most people say the 130 works best for them. I went to my LBS and asked one of the guys to reccomend a seat. he immediatly grabbed that seat, said that he rides it, and the VAST majority of the people he's sold them to have told him they love it. it was more expensive than i wanted (i told him 40-50 max) and he said "spend the extra, you'll be glad you did" he was dead on. I'm sure there are a TON of other seats out there, and i am only reccomending this particular one because i have it and like it, and have heard good things in general about it.
good luck, and enjoy the new bike!

#8 ·
whit022000 said:
I meet and ride with some of the nicest people out on the trails. Everyone, for the most part, is very humble and non-judgemental. They are truly "all about the ride".
then why are you such a grumpy old bastard? :)

Oh and you didn't mention anything about buying a bell for the handlebars like some people I know have :rolleyes:

Attachments

#9 ·
oldnoob said:
then why are you such a grumpy old bastard? :)

Oh and you didn't mention anything about buying a bell for the handlebars like some people I know have :rolleyes:
Thus the statement "most people are very nice" I didn't say EVERYBODY was nice.:nono:

Not everyone is cool enough to have a bell, not that I am cool...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.