Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

MTBR classified...Trustworthy?

794 views 5 replies 6 participants last post by  jrm 
#1 ·
i like some of the bikes that people on MTBR classified are selling...i just dont know if i can trust ill get that bike or in as good as condition as they say its in. i just dont want to spend money and then get a bike that doesnt work at all.

please let me know if you think it is OK to buy a bike or not.......or just your feedback about it

#2 ·
I've been buying and selling on MTBR for about 6 or 7 years now including several high end bikes. I think most people are trustworthy and honest. Most are just bikers like you trying to sell gear to buy more gear. 95% of my transactions have turned out well. If spending a lot of money, talk to the person via the phone and not just email. Also get lots of digi pics and be sure to ask a lot of questions about use, condition, mileage, detailed part spec, who built the wheels, last time fork was serviced, etc. You should probably expect to give the bike a tune up or take it into the LBS and have them do it.

Good luck.

#3 ·
Caveat Emptor

Translation - buyer beware.

Having said that, most of my dealings have been good here. Most, not all.

Your question is difficult to answer because you never know who is on the other end of the transaction. Like ebay, you need to do your research, ask questions, get pictures, and get references if possible.

I have bought and sold a number of things on mtbr. I got somewhat hosed on one bike purchase. Another was acceptable, and one more was exactly as described. I think all my component purchases have been good.

When I sell something, I try to describe the item in detail and provide pictures showing all the good and not so good points so that the buyer knows exactly what they are getting.

I have had generally good dealings here, but not a perfect track record.

Also, don't forget that sometimes what you think is very good condition and what another person thinks is very good condition may not be the same.

Don't want to scare you off. Just making sure you know the reality of beast.

Good luck.

#4 ·
I bought my Spider frame w/ CK headset and XTR front der. on the MTBR classifieds. I asked lots of questions and called a couple of previous buyers that had dealt w/ the seller in the past. Price was great and the goods were shipped and delivered as promised.

#6 ·
Quite secure..

prodirt6000 said:
i like some of the bikes that people on MTBR classified are selling...i just dont know if i can trust ill get that bike or in as good as condition as they say its in. i just dont want to spend money and then get a bike that doesnt work at all.

please let me know if you think it is OK to buy a bike or not.......or just your feedback about it

Aside from using the MTBR classifieds use a payment method that not only secure your money but also the conditions of the sale. The only one ive found so far is Paypal.

n the other hand if you think that somethings up or doesnt feel right dont buy the item. Another great way to buy stuff off the classifeds is to only buy from in your region. Or within driving distance.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.