Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Cacapon State Park

4K views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  Johnny No.5 
#1 ·
Anyone ridden at the "Resort"? I rode there while on a business retreat the past couple of days. Let me start by saying these are "hiking trails" that get used for riding as well. I hike a biked up this mountain on the Ziler Loop Trail for about an hour and half until I reached the top. After catching my breath, rode down the Ziler trail which is the most technically rocky scary trail I've ever ridden. The first quarter of the way down was some crazy zig zaging, finishing straight/curvy. It took about 25-30 min to get down... hand full of brakes most of the way. I say most because there was one 200 foot smooth sweeper to the left where I got cocky and rode of the side of the mountain. Thank you gear. Totally worth it. There are some easier trails at the bottom of the mountain as well (maybe 5-6). A good day trip or their cabins are fairly cheap too. Definately a good time. Just a heads up.

#2 ·
I hiked all over this park as a kid. There are some trails that are better for the bike and some that are more hike a bike. Sorry I cant remember the names. Can check with Tom the Park Super (very nice guy) for more info. Also, if you ride the dirt road up the mountain to the towers (past Batt picnic area/gate at bottom is normally locked) there is a old jeep trail across the top of the mountain that comes out at the Panarama, overlooking Great Cacapon. Will be in town 2nd weekend of Oct if anyone up for a ride.

#3 ·
Yeah Cacapon is awesome! I live right up against Sleepy Creek so I ride there most of the week... but Cacapon is the next closest ride for me (Sleepy Creek encompasses the next 2 mountain ridges east from Cacapon... only about 1 mile away as the bird flies).

The switchbacks are tough. The first question I ask another biker who has ridden Cacapon is "Did you clear the switchbacks?"... I can't remember anyone answering yes to this one yet, but I've been told there are a few guys that do.
;-)

From the parking lot to the ridge top is approx 1,400 evevation gain in rocky terrain... so just getting your bike to the top is a decent workout all by itself.

Here's the map if anyone is interested:

http://www.cacaponresort.com/cacapon.pdf

#4 ·
hey guys, I'm moving to the area (Romney to be exact) soon for a job and I was wondering if any of these runs would merit a freeride bike? how about shuttle runs? Cacapon seems to be the nearest area i found to my spot and an hour drive doesn't seem to bad compared to snowshoe etc. Do any of you guys know how about you build trails in the area? Does the DEC get involved often?

Another unrelated question I have is how long does the biking season last in your area?

sorry for the threadjack !!

#5 ·
hell yeah its a blast on a freeride bike, if you want to flow down ziller (switchbacks) the headangle and travel help. its easyer to ride down then walk. if deffinatlly look for "he stair case" its over on the east side and allot of fun to work on your rocks, not to brag but I finnaly cleaned the hero line (on a 7in freeride bike)

there isnt a good shuttle up there tho earn you elevation the hard way.... uggg

#6 · (Edited)

schofell84 said:
...I was wondering if any of these runs would merit a freeride bike?
What KomodoRider said. Bigger the bike the better. You probably can't get everything out of those trails even on a normal 5" or 6" trail bike! ...and it's a good place to bust up a cross country bike.
;-)

A buddy of mine rides a Turner Highline, it seems about perfect for getting around there.

schofell84 said:
how about shuttle runs?
It's a perfect place to do shuttle runs because there's a nicely maintained gravel road that will take you all the way to the top (there's an observation deck, parking and picnic area there)... but there are so few riders in the place that it's rare (at least for me) to run into other riders when you're there.

schofell84 said:
Do any of you guys know how about you build trails in the area? Does the DEC get involved often?
There are so many trails available to ride in the area that (at least I don't) really think much about trying to get permission to buid new trails... and once again it seems there are so few riders in the area it would be hard to get enough guys together to get much done. I end up doing trail work mostly by myself where I ride in Sleepy Creek.

schofell84 said:
...how long does the biking season last in your area?
Well I don't know about everybody else but I ride 280 to 300 days per year. I'll ride until it gets down to about 22 degrees (but that's somewhat rare around here). I'm out there most every day rain or shine, rain or snow!

Also...

If you're coming all the way from Romney there are also other places in the region that are great as well. Look up Elizabeth Furnace (and you find other places near there too). If you're in Winchester VA stop in (I think the shop's name is) Element Sports they have info about most all the trails within an hour or 2 drive... and I think a few of the guys that work there ride Cacapon & Elizabeth Furnace regularly.

Hey KomodoRider, I'm about 80% sure me and my buddy with the Highline (you might already know him) will probably be riding Cacapon starting sometime around noon to 1pm this Friday.

#7 ·
I'll be staying at Cacapon this weekend Friday - Monday and would like to get some riding in. I was there about 3 years ago and rode my XC bike up the road to ziler loop where I mostly hike-a-biked up to the ridge and then rode down the ziler trail switchbacks to the laurel trail. It was fun but the top was covered in ice!!!

I have a FR bike that I could bring to get some runs in if I can get my wife to shuttle me a few times. Any recommendations on shuttles or XC loops if it's not worth bringing a big bike? I don't see a gravel road to the top on the map and think I remember seeing a road gated this time of year last time I was there.

Thanks!

#9 ·
Any specific trails recommended? I don't mind hiking with my bike (although I'd prefer a shuttle if possible, is there a gravel road to the top?). It's a toss up between which bike for me to bring since I plan on hitting up Frederick on my way there that I could ride either bike with.

#10 ·
Gravel road to top is approx 3-4 miles if I remember correctly. But I dont think you can grab any trails from there. You should be able to ride out the old fire road and find some old horse trails back toward the park from the top of the mtn. No idea what shape any of this is in. The park has a map showing showing all the trails you can pickup at the lodge.

#11 ·
Road to the top is closed for the winter. Me and a few friends will be up there tomorrow afternoon doing some DH but were just gonna be shooting some footage on the middle of the mountain, not doing a full too to bottom run.

To the poster way up there that said he's never run into anyone that's cleared the switchbacks, I've done them on all but my first ride (walked the really gnarly one) and everyone I ride with has. Granted we're gravity riders more so than XC so that probably had a lot to do with it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.