Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Epic in VA

719 views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  Butterbean 
#1 ·
Me and a buddy will be going up to VA from Charlotte NC in a few weeks. We are looking for a couple of days of epic mountain riding. The more tech the better. We will be camping so it would be nice to ride from the camp area to the trails. Any sugestions?

#4 ·
Butterbean said:
Me and a buddy will be going up to VA from Charlotte NC in a few weeks. We are looking for a couple of days of epic mountain riding. The more tech the better. We will be camping so it would be nice to ride from the camp area to the trails. Any sugestions?
I can only speak for the area i know, but If you want more tech riding, you can get a day out of the upper trials at Carvins Cove, right outside of Roanoke.

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=443752

Check out the "upper trails" and "other trails" descriptions for the more old school, tech trails. I don't think you can camp there, but there is camping in the G.W. Nat Forest up the road (311). And if you want really tech and brutal, that's where Dragon's Back is.

Douthat State Park (near Clifton Forge) is one of the most fun places I know to visit, with very long climbs and descents, but it is not particularly technical, overall. The camping situation is pretty good there as well.

#5 ·
The George Washington National Forest has tons of epic riding and camping. If you want lots of rocks and exposure camp in the Elizabeth Furnace area and hit Buzzards Rock. The rest of the Fort Valley area has plenty of great riding to keep you busy too. Bear Wallow, Kennedy Peak, etc. will give you more good stuff. That's just the northern tip of the forest, there's plenty more riding down near Harrisonburg, but I would describe that as a bit less technical than the northern trails. Primo stuff though and plenty of camping down there too.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.