Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Solo Ride across the state...

4K views 31 replies 21 participants last post by  abernard 
#1 ·
Rode the north-south trail in Rhode Island today, started in mass and finished at the beach in southern RI.

Trip stats...
74 Miles
11 hours 33 minutes
5 cliff bars, 5 chex mix bars, 3 gels, and a footlong turkey sub

George Washington park

Walkabout trail made by australians during WWII

Crossing into CT.

Old mill in the woods..

Stone wall and stairs in the middle of nowhere

Halfway through the ride, stopped at my food and water drop. Step stone falls in Arcadia

yummy

Made It....

See less See more
#4 ·
I admit, once I saw you were talking about Rhode Island, I giggled. I live in Texas, so "riding across the state" suggests a ride of different proportions. ;)

But don't let my comment detract from your accomplishment. That's a whole lotta miles in one day!

Sounds like a nice adventure! :thumbsup:

#10 ·
R12 said:
mhaskell,

Your Edge shows battery life at half; was that after 11 hours or did you recharge with an external pack? If so, which one?
The battery life had been down to one bar, it went back and forth a bit. That said the battery does usually last for 15 hours or so. To recharge it I use an energizer charger, it uses two AA batterys with a mini USB plug. It charges my cell phone, camera, and GPS; only cost $20 or so with batteries.:thumbsup:

#11 ·
SingleTrackin' said:
That's awesome.
I've been wanting to do that ride for quite some time now. Half scared to do it solo though.
I did the ride on friday, but it was labor day weekend. I went the whole 74 miles without seeing another biker or hiker in the woods. Amazing how remote some parts felt.

I am going to put together a NEMBA ride next year for a good group. Send me a PM and I'll let you know the date.

#14 ·
Friday's Ride

perfect day for an epic ride. we parked at douglas state forest and did a few miles of the midstate trail to get to the NST trail head marker. ended at the beach. trip stats as follows:

79.74 miles (80 after a few laps around the beach parking lot)
9.34 avg. mph
8:34 time in saddle
9:40 total time

:eekster:

Attachments

#16 ·
mhaskell said:
Rode the north-south trail in Rhode Island today, started in mass and finished at the beach in southern RI.

Trip stats...
74 Miles
11 hours 33 minutes
5 cliff bars, 5 chex mix bars, 3 gels, and a footlong turkey sub
Very, very cool. Thanks for sharing.

Any chance you'd be willing to share your GPS track?

Thanks in advance if so.

MC

#19 ·
regarding the GPS

i don't own one and should buy one. we printed the maps from the almost unofficial guide to the NST but left it in the car. me and my buddy both did it previously so we pretty much knew the route. i think we messed up 2 small sections....one at the Rt. 6 intersection and we did an alternate trail on the south side of 165 in arcadia because we like the 95 trail better. we ended up with the same mileage. the entire route was well marked as long as you kept an eye out for the blue markers on the trees......thanks to the people who maintain the markers.

Attachments

#20 ·
#21 ·
I'm planning on doing this ride with my brother in a few weeks and had a question. Are these trails/roads blazed enough to where you don't need a GPS as a first timer on these trails?

I don't want to buy a GPS if i don't have to, but if there's the potential to get seriously turned around on this ride then i'll pull the trigger on a unit.

Any recommendations would be appreciated.

#22 ·
abernard said:
I'm planning on doing this ride with my brother in a few weeks and had a question. Are these trails/roads blazed enough to where you don't need a GPS as a first timer on these trails?

I don't want to buy a GPS if i don't have to, but if there's the potential to get seriously turned around on this ride then i'll pull the trigger on a unit.

Any recommendations would be appreciated.
You don't need the GPS, but you do need to north/south trail book. It is sold on amazon or REI etc. I had to look at it many times during the ride and could not have finished without it.

Good luck!

#25 ·
hey that's sweet. i did not know that trail existed.

i am PMing you my email, in case you plan a group ride of that trail. I think a September weekend would be great.

and folks, he crossed Rhode Island in the LONG direction (north south).

Who was the kind soul who shuttled you???

One more question: if you were to choose a section to ride out and back in a day, where would you start and in what direction would you ride? Say a 50 mile day. Singletrack with minimal hike a bike. Driving from the east, so the northern section is preferable. I usually do things like that by riding say 15 miles away from the trailhead, then 15 back, eating/drinking at the car, then 10-15 the other way, then back.

#26 ·
mhaskell said:
You don't need the GPS, but you do need to north/south trail book. It is sold on amazon or REI etc. I had to look at it many times during the ride and could not have finished without it.

Good luck!
Great thanks! I saw the trail website posted above but didn't think those maps were very helpful. This is the book you're talking about correct?

http://www.amazon.com/North-South-Trail-Traveling-Equestrians/dp/0971362505/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1244811471&sr=8-5

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.