Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

where to camp near timberline?

3K views 9 replies 8 participants last post by  ludovic 
#1 ·
driving my vw camper up labor day weekend to do some riding in the area and wondering where a good place to camp would be?

thanks

#2 ·
Are you staying just at Timberline or doing the whole Canaan Valley thing? Closest camping to Timberline is probably at Canaan Valley State Park (approx. 3 miles). Other options in the CV area are Blackwater Falls State Park, the private campground near the entrance to Blackwater Falls SP, and along the Blackwater River off of Camp Road 70 (no amenities, but great views and no fees).

#5 ·
If you camp at Black Water Falls State Park you have a couple of options to mtb without having to drive. From the camp ground there is a 3 mile loop called Dobin House Trail, which is a great cross country ride with nice scenery. On Dobin House, hike down the side of the hill to Pendalton Falls, it's pretty cool. Also, if you go about a half a mile extra on the main trail before Dobin House turns right, there is an awsome exposed view of Blackwater Canyon.:)

Also from the camp ground you can go about one mile on the black top towards the lodge and hit single track by the horse stables. This will take you up to Plantation Trail which is a great all day cross country adventure. While on Plantation Trail you have several options which all end up on Canaan Mountain Loop Road (gravel) which will take you back to the camp ground. I was there two weeks ago and saw two black bear, pretty cool.

Others can help you with Camp Rd 70 and Canaan Valley State Park camping / trails. I go to Blackwater year after year and find it very nice. It is always clean and close to good food, but I guess all three areas are close to the same good food. Breakfast at Blackwater Lodge is awesome. :thumbsup:

#6 ·
vwkind said:
awesome, thanks for the info. im probably just going to ride at timberline. and i prefer to camp primitive style and avoid the crowds so hopefully i can find somewhere to camp along camp road 70 with a view.
You know, if you are just going to ride Timberline and don't mind camping primitive, why not camp up in the North Sods? Easy access to the downhill trails and all riding at Timberline before the lifts open, plus great XC riding/exploring up in the Sods. See some of the recent trip reports here - http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=436753 and here http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=433820. Oldnoob has a nice trail map too. You can park at the top of Forest Road 80 and ride in, so you have access to your vehicle for beer runs into town.

There are plenty of good camping spots throughout the Sods, though maybe someone on this board can recommend a decent spot that's close to Timberline and not in the existing Wilderness area. Camping off Camp 70 is closer to Davis, and a good 15 minute drive to Timberline.

Repo

#7 ·
vwkind said:
awesome, thanks for the info. im probably just going to ride at timberline. and i prefer to camp primitive style and avoid the crowds so hopefully i can find somewhere to camp along camp road 70 with a view.
car camping spots all up and down canaan loop rd on canaan heights too. loops around canaan mountain for like 13 miles. camp anywhere you see a spot to pull your car in pretty much. plus all the "must-do" trails intersect with it.

unless you are into downhill, Tline would be pretty restricting for a XC rider unless you looped other stuff into it like a ride up in dolly sods or something.

#9 ·
while on the subject of Timberline

LOOK AT THIS!

The time is near for the inaugural Timberline "Double Down " DH Race.

"Double Down" DH Bike Race will be held on Sunday, Sept. 28 2008. This WVMBA sanctioned DH race is a 2 run event that consists of 1 run on 2 different courses with 1000' vertical drop each- with an approximate six minute elapsed time per run. Cumulative time for both runs determines the time calculated for placing in respective class. Cash pay back to all classes! An overall "fastest run" on each course will also be awarded.

Registration is on Saturday 9 -12 and Sunday 8-10:30 am at the Timberline bike shop. There is a Saturday timed practice from 1 to 3, riders must be registered for Sunday's event to participate. A Saturday and Sunday all day lift pass is included with registration on Saturday for Sunday's event. Come for two days and take advantage.

The "Double Down" start time is 12pm Sunday with a mandatory riders meeting at 11:30 at the top of the lift.

Entry fee is $45 and includes event weekend a ll day lift access and a WVMBA one day event lice nse. Please call or email JR Nolan for more information. 800-766-9464 ext.129 or jrnolan@comcast.net

Timberline's "Double Down" is a sure bet, $45 gets you . . .
Cash pay back- all classes
Two all day passes
Timed practice on Saturday
Two runs- two courses (SL gates included)
1000 vert
Fast flowing courses with natural features and hand built
Race Department with twenty plus years experience
MTB race venue since 1994

#10 ·
All the trails below have free downloads (PDF)

Canaan Loop Road (more "quiet" camping).
http://www.damaps.net/wv/bike/trail-1231 for trail, markers & photos.

Camp 70 Road (more camping, near water)
http://www.damaps.net/wv/bike/trail-1081 for trail, markers & photos

Timberline Resort (several camping nearby): The ride is Yellow Mellow
(steepest trail I know of in Timberline)
http://www.damaps.net/wv/bike/trail-1631
** See double arrows for action shots on this trail

Timberline Resort (several camping nearby): The ride is Doc's Revenge
(totally fun for nearly all levels, except intro / beginner)
http://www.damaps.net/wv/bike/trail-1591

Strictly interested in Timberline?
www.damaps.net/wv/area/timberline

Interested in other nearby areas (Davis & Surroundings)?
www.damaps.net

Enjoy your visit!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.