Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

New rider. Is my bike too small for me? 13'' frame.

1K views 15 replies 10 participants last post by  brainbckt 
#1 · (Edited)
Hi. I bought a 13'' frame 04 jamis dakar sport. I am having second thoughts about the bike and think that it may be too small for me. I'm 5' 8'' 154lbs. When I took it downhilling, I didn't feel like it was too small but the fact that it is 13'' bothers me because I see everywhere that people my height are suppose to be on a 15-17'' frame. Are there things that I can get to make it feel a bit bigger? maybe, wider handle bars, longer stem?

EDIT: i have decided to sell or trade this bike. i was wondering what is minimum and maximum frame size(in inches) i should be riding. remember, i am 5' 8'' and 154lbs. thank you.

pic of bike:
(new pic of bike with 110mm ritchey stem)

See less See more
#11 ·
imo if it feels alright dont worry about the size. FWIW i used to ride an old trek 13inch hardtail for dh and it didnt bother me until i broke it.... (Im 5,8)
If i was you i would get a new stem and bars- a good cockpit can make a heap of difference to a bike and it doesnt cost much. Depending how serious you are with dh you might want to get a specific dh bike in the future as you will want a bigger bike to help keep you progressing

#12 ·
kamikazee ideki said:
imo if it feels alright dont worry about the size. FWIW i used to ride an old trek 13inch hardtail for dh and it didnt bother me until i broke it.... (Im 5,8)
If i was you i would get a new stem and bars- a good cockpit can make a heap of difference to a bike and it doesnt cost much. Depending how serious you are with dh you might want to get a specific dh bike in the future as you will want a bigger bike to help keep you progressing
plus 1

#15 ·
Go to a bike shop and get fitted. You could have long legs, short torso, or vice versa. Find out what works for YOU, then go shopping. If you don't, you will just be wasting more of your money trying to fix something that you could have easily avoided.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.