Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Davis WV / Canaan - ride Sat. and Sun.

2K views 26 replies 11 participants last post by  Hermosa 
#1 ·
Hey folks, Malibu and I made another one of those last minute decisions to
head for Davis. We'll be there Sat. morning and plan to take off out of Blackwater
Bikes around 11:30 a.m. and head for Canaan Valley to ride the lollipop loop out
Allegheny Trail to Canaan Loop Rd., then Fire Trail # 3, Plantation, FT # 6 or Lindy
back out to Canaan Loop, back to Allegheny and back to Canaan Valley. Hope
some of you see this in the morning and can drop everything and come riding.

Malibu and I plan on staying Sat. night at that little private campground on the right
before you get all the way into Blackwater Falls and then riding somewhere on Sunday.
Will likely begin our ride on Sunday between 10 and 11 a.m. We'll stop by the parking
lot at the Shop N Save near the new bridge on Sunday morning in case someone
want to join us for a ride. You can stop by our campsite before that or give me a call
on my cell 304-481-3828. Can't miss my 98 Dodge Full Size PU Green over silver,
with visor, running boards, and hitch mount bike rack.

I know, what's with this last minute sh!t ? Well, that's what it's like not being married
:D ....... Just go where ya want, when ya want ......:thumbsup:

ODN

See less See more
#2 ·
outdoornut said:
hope some of you see this in the morning and can drop everything and come riding.
well, if i WOULD have seen this yesterday I would have avoided the bike shop till later :) awesome to run into you and do a big ride like that. i was just planning on doing a quicky loop in davis somewhere before heading down to the valley for the music festival, so I was ill-equipped on nutrition for a grueling ride through rocks, ruts, rocks, roots, rocks, sand, rocks, bogs, and rocks all while basically ascending and decending canaan mountain. it figures allegheny trail is gonna be used in the revenge of the rattle snake race :eek: can't believe you took a noob on a ride like that, shame on you! :) great fun as heck ride tho, i had a blast! ill post up a few good pics sometime soon.

I know, what's with this last minute sh!t ? Well, that's what it's like not being married
:) ....... Just go where ya want, when ya want ...
ditto! altho hopefully ill eventually find a wife thats tolerant like one friend of mine who still goes where he wants when he wants :)

#4 ·
ODN nearing the top of one of the little climbs on allegheny trail (701) heading up canaan mtn from the state park.

malibu then odn taking on a fun rock on locally nicknamed "forbidden forest" trail.

malibu holdin on to the rhody for dear life!

but then gets right back on his horse and rides!

odn follows but camera man has an itchy trigger finger and gets him too early

the rest is from hmmm...plantation..allegheny... ft#3 maybe? hell doesn't matter, its all the same up there on canaan mtn and fun as hell!

hell of a fun day ODN and Malibu. Definitely would not have had that fun of a ride if i didn't run into you! Our starting and ending point was great too! After our ride saturday i went straight to the music festival, ate like a horse, drank like a fish and danced like a freak till well past midnight :rolleyes:

#9 ·
Last minute decision creates awesome riding weekend !

Sorry to those who got the message late, however like I stated last minute decision led to an awesome weekend.

We arrived at the bike shop on time, where there only a short time when
Oldnoob showed up. I commented to him, glad you saw the post about us
coming in. :confused: Oldnoob was unaware of the post and had just come in to
pick up some accessories for the bike, however after we told him where we
planned to ride he was game to join us.

We started Saturdays adventure by parking at Canaan Valley State Park and
riding Allegheny Trail toward Canaan Loop Road and then make a loop from
there.

Here we make our way to the base of Canaan Mountain on Allegheny Trail.
Oldnoob and Malibu follow my lead through the first nasty section.

Starting the grueling climb up the mountain.

On top of the mountain it levels a bit. Here's Oldnoob smiling his way out the trail.

Of course after riding through this, we had to stop for some of the huge blueberries.

Then we roll out to Canaan Loop Rd.

We took a right on Canaan Loop Rd. (CLR) and headed for Fire Trail # 3, however part
way there oldnoob told us about a locally know trail that sounded great so we cut off the
road way before Fire Trail # 3 and hit what is referred to as Forbidden Forest. What an
awesome trail ! We made our way through the thick forest till we arrived at a fun rock
where we took turns testing our skills.

Malibu hits it first.

Hops his rear wheel into position and then keeps going.

I followed and cleared it both ways, then oldnoob gave it a go.

Forbidden Forest dumped us out on Fire Trail # 3 where we proceeded on to Plantation
Trail and took a left. We were making most those tough climbs in this area and then
quickly came up on a nasty stream crossing that Malibu nor I had ever been able to
clear. Without slowing to observe it, I just peddled through without difficulty and cheered
and was just quick enough to catch Malibu following in my tracks and then oldnoob
right behind him. All three of us cleared that crossing and Malibu had to go back and
do it using another line which he cleared again. It's an awesome feeling to clear a bad
spot that has given us such trouble with in the past. Here is Malibu and oldnoob.

We continued out Plantation over the usual rocky obsticles. " Whooooo ! " said oldnoob
however kept going and rolled right over the rocks.

Since we got a late start on out ride and we had been hitting every big obsticle along
the trail a couple times, we decided to cut off on Davis (Allegheny) trail off Plantation
and take it back out to Canaan Loop Road instead of continuing on to Fire Trail # 6.
Of course who can resist riding over the large rock at the intersection. Here oldnoob
makes it after Malibu and I rolled right over it.

Here is some more fun on Davis trail.

We hit Canaan Loop Rd. and made our way back to Allegheny Trail and started our
way back out Canaan Mountain to drop off into the Valley. Here are a few shots along
the return trip on this portion of Allegheny. What a blast this trail is !

Here we are almost back to the vehicle at Canaan Valley State Park.

We had a great time and so enjoyed having oldnoob join us. He had never been on
most of the trails we rode that day, yet he guided us through a great new trail, plus Malibu
got his first experiance Davis trail from Plantation up do Canaan Loop. Our adventure
continues, next post.

ODN

#10 ·
Saturday night sunset at camp

After a great meal (buritos) at Hellbenders we retired to our humble little one
night camp and enjoyed an awesome sunset and then tried to keep warm
after the overnight temps got down in the 40's.

ODN

Attachments

#11 · (Edited)
Sunday dawned clear and brisk !

What a great start to this very brisk morning. A good breakfast at Bright
Morning Inn and then tuned up the bikes while letting our food digest. We
had to tighten the spokes on both our bikes front wheels due to Malibu
taking a good spill and me getting thrown over the bars by a stick in the
spokes.

We packed up camp and headed to the Shop N Save parking lot where we
waited for about 20 minutes in case someone from our post showed up.
oldnoob wasn't going to be able to make it and when no one had shown,
we geared up and headed for the CVI trails and Moonrocks.

There are several reroutes and a few new trails to check out on the CVI and
ajoining properties. We made our way out the white diamond trail near Beaver
Creek and then took a right on an new, unmarked trail that led us to the old
road that will take you through the road swamp and on out to the meadow
and power line.

We tooled around on the lower trails just warming up the legs left tight from
Saturdays 18 mile rocky ride. Took our first pictures on the slight reroute on
the red diamond trail.

Then when you get close to the end of Rock Shock trail, there is an unmarked trail
(flagged only) to the right. We followed it till we came out on the yellow diamond trail
that leads down to campsite number 7. Here Malibu rounds a bend just before the
intersection.

At that intersection, we noticed the new trail continued toward Moonrock direction along
what had to be Mt. Strip Mine, so we followed. We came to an awesome sweet rock
garden and had a ball here.

After making our way through there the weedeaters had quit and the trail faded into woods
with ribbons hanging from limbs. Why not, so we continued on a freeriding expedition
till we came out just below the top of Mt. Strip Mine and continued on to Moonrocks for
some more fun. There we tried all new lines just to make it more interesting and to our
surprise were able to make it all the way up using those new lines. Awesome !

Even used a different line off Moonrock on our way toward HooDoo Rocks.

Started our way up the climb to HooDoo Rocks, cleared all the rock gardens and then
took a calculated turn in a different direction before reaching the top of the mountain
where HooDoo Rocks resides.

This exploritory route found numerous bike tracks and and awesome long downhill run,
then a fire road type trek for about a mile or so and then another awesome downhill run
for another mile or more and dumped us out at the end of Camp 70 Road. I'll have to
explain this route to all our usual cohorts in person.

We then took the yellow trail at campsite 7, rode up by the metal building on a new
reroute and over a newly placed bridge where the creek was never ridable.

We then took the main (orange diamond) trail all the way back to Camp 70 road at the
bridge in Davis. Of course had to catch some air on those dips.

The trails on the CVI properties get better with every visit. After speaking to Roger at
Blackwater Bikes, it seems there will be several new trails in the area before the end of
the year. Get out there and enjoy them while the weather is good.

Anyone interested, here is your chance ! Malibu and I will be at that little campground
on the right before Blackwater Falls on the 21st through the 24th. We are hoping to do
the Huckleberry on Friday the 22nd. Anyone interested in hitting Huckleberry trail on top
of Spruce Knob, be at Blackwater Bikes on the 22nd between 9:30 and 10:00 a.m. I'd
like to be rolling by 10:00 since it takes about 35 to 45 minutes to get to Seneca Creek
Trailhead. The loop there is about 15 miles and is very rocky and technical, so it will take
us a while to get around it and still be able to stop and enjoy some of the scenery.

Ride on !

ODN

#18 ·
ODN,

Are you going back this weekend or what? Thanks for the advance warning. I have to work Sat and trying to get out of Sunday but it doesn't look promising.

Davis, wanna ride in Poco cty Sunday? I have to do shoe on Sat but driving home and coming back Sunday for a short while. Wadda yasay? Threadjacking- a new form of terrorism?

#19 ·
A change has come up at the last minutes. I will NOT be able to arrive on
Thursday as expected. I will be arriving between 9 and 10 on Friday morning.
Everything is a go after that and the forcast is looking great so come on down.

Capt,
It's $13.00 a night for tent sites and yes they have firewood. I think it's like
$4 or $5 a bundle and seemed a bit damp but we were able to keep a nice fire going most Sat. evening with two bundles. Darn small fire rings though...

ODN

#20 ·
whit022000 said:
ODN,

Are you going back this weekend or what? Thanks for the advance warning.

Threadjacking- a new form of terrorism?
Yes whit, however won't get there till Friday morning instead of Thursday. Still planing on
riding Friday, Sat. and Sun. You Terrorist :madmax: . :D Just kidding ! Join us .....

ODN

#21 ·
whit022000 said:
ODN,

Are you going back this weekend or what? Thanks for the advance warning.

Threadjacking- a new form of terrorism?
Hey you terrorist, yes we'll be there Friday morning instead of Thursday but plan on riding
all three days. Come on down as they would say on the price is right !

ODN

#22 ·
bump on this! looks like ODN, Malibu, PT4Joints, and myself so far. I guess they are riding friday too. Ill be joining the party sat/sun and maybe a buddy from thomas also on sunday. the more the merrier! only 2hrs from the I-66/I-81junction, so if you live in suburbia like me, cmon out for cooler weather and cooler vibes! :)

outdoornut said:
A change has come up at the last minutes. I will NOT be able to arrive on
Thursday as expected. I will be arriving between 9 and 10 on Friday morning.
Everything is a go after that and the forcast is looking great so come on down.

Capt,
It's $13.00 a night for tent sites and yes they have firewood. I think it's like
$4 or $5 a bundle and seemed a bit damp but we were able to keep a nice fire going most Sat. evening with two bundles. Darn small fire rings though...

ODN

#23 ·
whit022000 said:
Davis, wanna ride in Poco cty Sunday? I have to do shoe on Sat but driving home and coming back Sunday for a short while. Wadda yasay?
Already made plans to ride with mrs. davis on Sunday. We have a sitter all lined up and everything. What time do you have to start on Saturday?

#24 ·
davis said:
Already made plans to ride with mrs. davis on Sunday. We have a sitter all lined up and everything. What time do you have to start on Saturday?
Trying to get out of Sat working, will be 9 so no riding otherwise.

ODN, what time will you guys ride Sat & Sun morning? Hope to make it up 1 or 2 days.

#25 ·
whit022000 said:
Trying to get out of Sat working, will be 9 so no riding otherwise.

ODN, what time will you guys ride Sat & Sun morning? Hope to make it up 1 or 2 days.
yo yo, i think ODN is already out there, but he said he was gonna call me tonight to tell me what time they are gonna ride saturday so i know how late i can hang out at the fiddle and brewpub :) call his # above tho.. if we ride huckleberry one of those days, thats closer to where your at than davis right?

#26 ·
Great pics and write up as always ODN!
We went that way with the pink ribbons and the new bridge on the CVI trails to Moonrocks...but in reverse order I believe.

Can't make this weekend....but will be in Davis/Canaan area the 11th-14th of September.
Camping along Camp70 somewhere...Hope someone will want to take me and a buddy up to N Dolly Sods...and come hang out with us...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.