Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Visiting McHenry, MD, where to ride

1K views 7 replies 3 participants last post by  Uncle Six Pack 
#1 ·
I'll be in McHenry, MD for 4 days next week and I was wondering where I could find some good trails. I prefer fun singletrack, but my wife and in-laws will be there as well, so fire roads and easier stuff would be good for them.

I can't be totally anti-social and crank singletrack all day, everyday (which is what I'd like to do) but I'd hope to get in a couple of 6-8 mile trailrides or maybe an easier ride with the family.

The actual place we are staying at is Deep Creek Lake.

Thanks for any help!

Jamie

#2 ·
For fun singletrack in the area you can't do much better than Big Bear Lake which is 6 miles further west on 68 from DCL. It's probably a 25 minute drive tops. There are about 25 miles of trails at Big Bear. Lots of fun, fast, and technical stuff.

Also, I just tried and can recommend the downhill trails at the Wisp Ski Resort at DCL. There was a decent mix of intermediate to expert singletrack DH trails that are lots of fun. You can rent a DH or FR machine at the adventure center, but a lot of the intermediate trails would probably be OK on an XC bike.

I don't know about fire roads - there may be something in the Herrington Manor or Swallow Falls(?) state parks nearby.

Repo

#3 ·
Wow, that is good news... I ride a 6 in full suspension bike, so the Wisp can keep me occupied for a day and maybe one other day I'll hit Big Bear.

Thanks a bunch-that was exactly the news I needed!

For Big Bear-any particular trails/blaze markings to look for, or is it one of those trail networks where you just can't go wrong?

Thanks again! If you are ever near Bloomsburg, PA and looking for a place to ride just let me know!

#4 ·
The 24 hour loop at Big Bear is the easiest to follow. It's just under 13 miles and is marked with black arrows on a yellow background. They have 3 or 4 other loops marked - different colored arrows on white - but stick with the black on yellow! This is a great loop. You can throw in some other sections for more distance if you like. There is a map at the gatehouse - but it ain't the greatest. There is also a $5 trail fee. You want to park at the "bikers lot" or the old airfield - the 24 hour loop crosses nearby.

#6 ·
I'm a DH noob myself. I rode Wisp for the first time last week. I thought it had a pretty decent range of intermediate trails for first-time DH/FR riders. I tried to stick with their blue trails - but the trail markings are not the greatest so I'm sure we deviated onto some of the black terrain as well. The most memorable trails were High Roller and the race course ( don't remember the trail name). Both were very ride-able for me, though there was one extended steep and sketchy section on High Roller that I chose to walk - walking itself was a challenge. We spent most of our time riding the race course - which starts to the left of the lift (facing down the mountain) - next to a teeter and some ramps. This was very fun with only one short steep sketchy section - which I also walked. We must have ridden this trail 6-7 times.

I would recommend bringing an AM bike at least or renting one of the Giant FS bikes there. My AM bike has 6+" travel front and rear and big fat 2.5" tires - it was plenty of bike for Wisp. I had one bad wipeout all day (first run) and it was actually at the end of the run where there is a hidden drop-off after you come out of the woods and cross the grass down to the lift. I wasn't paying close enough attention and face planted pretty hard. Oh yeah - bring or rent a full face and some armor!

Repo

#7 ·
Oh no doubt dude, I'm totally renting a bike and a helmet. I have a hardtail so the terms bike bark and real freeride elude me just a bit. But totally want to buy one just don't have a couple grand to throw at one right at this seccond.

But that is encouraging that you say it's not to hatefully over the top. it is expensive to rent all that for a day though. But I have a suspision that it would be worth it.

#8 ·
Wisp was great, thanks for the tip! I'd say there was a good mix of beginner to intermediate riding. There was one trail I didn't even bother to hit-with the big boulders at the trailhead. All other trails were good and flowy. Some of the stunts weren't very well thought-out, with run-ins or run-outs that were too short or bumpy. For a small mountain resort that I had never heard of before, I was definitely impressed!

It would have been fun to ride a DH rig there, but I was definitely comfortable on my 6 inch bike for just about everything.

Thanks again,
Jamie

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.