Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Suggestions for riding in Virginia..

927 views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  CraigCreekRider 
#1 ·
My wife and I are planning a road trip from Philadelphia this weekend. We were going to go to Kingdom Trails in Vermont, but have canceled that due to heavy rains there. Several people have suggested Virginia. One person suggested Douthat and Walnut Creek. Another suggested riding in the Blue Ridge mountains.

I'm a pretty strong rider and my wife OK. We both have FS bikes. Neither are in the greatest shape (haven't ridden much this year). We don't mind climbs, but don't want killer climbs. The wife prefers sweet buff singletrack with some tech stuff, as opposed to rocky killer tech stuff (like West Virginia). Any recommendations? The reviews for Douthat sound great. Also, can you recommend any reasonably priced lodging in the areas where you recommend we ride?

If anyone is going to be riding on Sunday, Monday or Tuesday and doesn't mind some tag alongs, we always like riding in groups!

Thanks.

#4 ·
I understand about "getting away". I personally have not ridden Douthat, however, I hear great things about it. The local MTB org does a big trip down there every year and they love it. Hopefully someone who has ridden there could tell you more about it or any other recommendations. Good luck and have fun!

#5 ·
Douthat has some lower trails, but the trails that everyone raves about involve some killer climbs. The outside loop is about 26 miles and roughly 5500' of climbing/descending. Of course, you could ride just one side or the other and cut those numbers in half. Nearby Douthat is the RoseLoe motel in Warm Springs. Nice clean place with reasonable prices.

#6 ·
No motels in Clifton Forge. 10 miles away in smelly Covington at exit 16 there are 3 or 4 motels. I'd go for the cabin if you can get one. Like Davis said - Douthat and climbing pretty much go together. Some stuff south of the park being developed that does not require too much climbing, but it wasn't finished the last time I rode there.

Carvins Cove near Roanoke has some buffed out singletrack near the resevoir that isn't too steep (and some killer climbs / descents on Brushy Mountain too).

#7 ·
The Williamsburg area might be a good choice for you. There are a number of trail systems to choose from, all smooth and well maintained with no rocks and no long steep climbs. Look them up in the review section - York River State Park, Freedom Park, New Quarter Park, & Wahrani. They are not overly technical, but you don't have to be in peak condition to have fun. There's plenty of options for accommodations in Williamsburg. When you aren't riding, Colonial Williamsburg, Jamestown, Yorktown, 2 amusement parks, and outlet shopping will keep everyone entertained.

The Richmond area is another option.

#8 ·
So I ride in Williamsburg a lot and we are taking a trip to Douthat in a week, and I CANNOT WAIT!!!! Williamsburg is cool, lots of fun, I recommend Freedom Park and New Quarter. I guess because I ride them a lot I couldn't imagine traveling all the way down here just to ride them though.

I heard that Douthat has trails that are difficult and some that are intermediate... and there's no way that I am not going to try the toughest trail there... have to at least try!!!

Does anyone know the coolest local bike shop near Douthat so we can stock up?

#9 ·
vilondon said:
Does anyone know the coolest local bike shop near Douthat so we can stock up?
Nothing local I know of. Better stock up at home. Could be one in Lexington, but I am not aware of it. Roanoke may be the closest thing (Just the Right Gear, East Coasters, and Cardinal - all are pretty good).

Clifton Forge just got its first boat shop - bikes may not be far behind with all the new trails being hooked together in the area.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.