Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Trails near Bristow, VA?

2K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  Trizz 
#1 · (Edited)
Hey all:

I'm visiting Bristow/Gainesville, VA this weekend and was wondering if there were any trails in the nearby area to explore for a few hours (MTB), or even fireroads (CX)? I'm trying to figure out if it's worth bringing my MTB, CX or <gasp> road bike. From satellite images it looks like there could be some small trail systems in the immediate area.

Thanks!

#2 ·
yeppers, Conway Robinson State Forest is right there in gainesville/bristow on Rt29 about 1/2 mile south of the I-66 gainesville exit. orange trail is the best. short but pretty sweet, but the rest is fun too. not much climbing, but lots of log piles and little rock gardens. lots of mosquitoes cause its in a wet area tho.. be prepared :)

here is map, altho its not really needed cause its not too big an area.

there is also other places to ride within 30 minutes from there, like Fountainhead which is much bigger and has steeper climbs and an 8 mile continuous loop.

#4 ·
A few more questions, I mapped-out a route from where I'm staying to where I *think* the entrance to SRSF is (see link):

1. Is that the correct destination for the nearest trailhead?
2. I was thinking of bringing my CX and riding from where I'm staying to the trailhead, am I allowed to ride a bicycle on Rt. 29 (or any of the other roads in the map for that matter)?

Here's the link, thanks again!

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&sad...387,-77.566481&spn=0.050583,0.110893&t=h&z=14

#5 ·
yeah you are good to go. you cant miss the parking area really.. i think its actually directly across rt29 from that side road you have marked. there are 2 little entrance signs (white/red signs) you shouldn't have to ride on 29 anyway since there is about 30feet of grass between the road and forest area to ride on.

If CX = cyclocross I dont think you wanna ride a cyclocross bike on those trails tho. :)

#6 ·
How do you like him now?

Everything Oldnoob said is correct but keep in mind that one Mr. Toby Keith will be at Nissan Pavilion on Saturday.

Since the route to and from the park runs right by the venue be VERY watchful of the times you are on the road or you could end up on a very short street with 11,000 Angry (and probably drunk) Americans.

I was going to take the kids to CR last night but decided not to fight the Testament/Motorhead/Judas Priest/Heaven and Hell crowd.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.