Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Looking for Gravity Assited runs Central VA

974 views 15 replies 4 participants last post by  yakuzafreerider 
#1 ·
I just finished my first DH / Freeride bike built and am looking for some trails to break her in on. They don't have to be true downhill, or freeride, just little to no uphill stuff.
Central VA. Will drive!
I know Snowshoe is a nice choice but looking for something smaller, less travel to start with.
Any suggestions would be great.
Rock on!

#2 ·
Sherando has some shuttle-able rides right off the parkway, starting at either Bald Mtn. or Slacks overlooks. Some biking in and climbing would be required from the Bald Mtn. overlook, or if you have a 4x4 shuttle vehicle I believe they leave the gate open on the forest road that starts at this overlook, so you could 4x it to the trailhead, which would be Torrey Ridge. Trail from Slacks overlook is you guessed it, Lower Slacks trail. I think from the Slacks overlook to Sherando camp grounds is 2 miles, all gradual downhill with some small rock gardens and a about 1/8 of pretty hardcore downhill section. If you start higher up on the mtn. at Torry Ridge, add another 2 miles I think.

Other than Sherando, I can't think of to many other downhills that you don't have to climb first on bike due to their remoteness; but I also don't know all the trails around here either FWIW.

#4 ·
Rocks !

You guys are my heroes.
I just moved to the Waynesboro Area and Built my first bike.
So I am ultra noob.
yakuzafreerider I might look u up for some some of this guide help to get me started.
I should be ready in a couple of weeks (helmet and stuff). I am also nursing a back problem so I am keeping it light atm.
Shuttling is ok but not needed I can push!

#5 · (Edited)
wi1trackrider said:
Sherando has some shuttle-able rides right off the parkway, starting at either Bald Mtn. or Slacks overlooks. Some biking in and climbing would be required from the Bald Mtn. overlook, or if you have a 4x4 shuttle vehicle I believe they leave the gate open on the forest road that starts at this overlook, so you could 4x it to the trailhead, which would be Torrey Ridge. Trail from Slacks overlook is you guessed it, Lower Slacks trail. I think from the Slacks overlook to Sherando camp grounds is 2 miles, all gradual downhill with some small rock gardens and a about 1/8 of pretty hardcore downhill section. If you start higher up on the mtn. at Torry Ridge, add another 2 miles I think.

Other than Sherando, I can't think of to many other downhills that you don't have to climb first on bike due to their remoteness; but I also don't know all the trails around here either FWIW.
Sherando is so close thats great. I don't know where to begin though as to understanding all these fire roads and stuff you speak. I do have a 4x4. are these trails on a map i can look up? Fire roads?

#6 ·
maps

xcurtisx said:
Sherando is so close thats great. I don't know where to begin though as to understanding all these fire roads and stuff you speak. I do have a 4x4. are these trails on a map i can look up? Fire roads?
I use the PATC (Potomac Appalachian Trail Club) map #12 when riding in this area. Obviously the map is centered around the AT, but it also has mile marker and lookout data on the parkway, which make for good reference points when navigating. It has all the fire roads in the area, as well as the hiking and biking trails in Sherando Lake State Park/Recreation Area. I bought my map at the Blue Ridge Outdoors store in C'ville, but I'm guessing most outdoor recreational stores in the area would have them - try that one (name?) off of 250 when heading into Waynesboro from I64. A National Geographic map for this area would probably foot the bill as well, but I can't say that I've seen one, can't say that I've looked for one either.

If you get your hands on a map, and want me to walk you through where the trails are at, and what way to ride them so you are going downhill, give me a shout.

#8 ·
Intense 5.5 built slightly for aggresive XC / leaning towards AM (2.3 tires, spring fork, bashring, etc). I just think it's an all around trail bike. Ideal setup for Sherando. Pretty efficient climber (I'm usually the weak spot), and can bomb down the descents fairly well.

Was actually thinking of hitting Sherando this weekend, don't know what day yet, but it would be an early ride to beat the heat.

If you want to get a feel of the downhill terrain out there before you actually ride it, I'd recommend hiking in a mile or so of the Lower Slacks trail on foot. Park at the Slacks Overlook off the Blue Ridge Parkway located between mile markers 19 and 20 - almost right at 20, it's clearly signed as such. In the small parking lot of the overlook, the Lower Slacks trail takes off from the right hand side by the picnic table. It's a gradual downhill with a fairly steep section about 1 mile in. At the bottom of the steep section, it ties into the White Rock Gap Trail that again flows gradually downhill eventually ending up at the upper lake/campground area inside Sherando Lake park. From the parkway to the park campground is 3 miles or so. Not a lot, but it's a lot of fun. All downhill. This is usually the last part of a variety of loops you can put together out in that area, but that's more if you're looking for an XC ride. It's possible to road ride back up to the overlook, but you'd be facing around a 10 mile gradual climbing ride, 4 miles of it being on the parkway.

#12 ·
dude thanks for the vids. I rode in my backyard made a little drop to a very small tranny. Was good times. But looks like you had more fun. I get the rest of my kit on Monday so I will be down to ride soon after.
Stoked.
Thanks again.

#14 ·
Slacks/Whiterock

I just want to comment here.

The Slacks/Whiterock trail is a fun trail, but it, particularly the lower half is very popular with hikers during the weekends. You should retain enough control (on any public trail) to be able to stop and pull over/ yield the trail to hikers and up hill riders.

Setting up a shuttle on this trail, with full face helmets and DH rigs, on a weekend, is a recipe for user conflicts that have led to trail closures in other parts of the country. You may be in full control, but to a hiker it looks like you're endangering their life (hence one of the reasons to be able to come to a complete stop and yield). The body armor and DH add fuel to the fire making you look like a motocrosser. We are fortunate here to not yet have any closures from this sort of thing. Although I know a park manager who has a personal bad experience with someone on a nice DH run.

My suggestion would be to shuttle Slacks/Whiterock on off peak hiking hours, ie very early morning or weekdays. With the full DH gear, other trails in the area are much less used by hikers. I for another trail with minimal climbing, I recommend the Switchbacks to Mill Creek. With a few short climbs, you can also shuttle the Jeep trail or or Torry Ridge, as they're mostly down if you start from the top.

#15 ·
Hey thanks for the heads up. I can imagine how it looks to see two bikes flying down hill whether fast or not will look fast. I have spent many nights in the woods especially at Shenandoah Nat. Back country camping and hiking. I think I have covered most of the VA branch of the AT. So I can totally see the stark contrast between bikers and hikers. I will do my best to keep everyone happy, but that being said it is a public use trail, I have and do work on trails in the area and really hope no ego filled hikers suddenly think they own something that is shared.
Point well taken however - Cheers.

#16 ·
Thats what I do Will, early mornings any day of the week. So far Ive never encountered hikers all 7 days of the week when I ride. During the summer months I tend to ride the morning hrs, but around winter itself I ride whenever even when there is snow and ice due to the lack of hikers...But to be honest towards the bottom where there are flats and climbs again before the upper lake Im pushing or taking my time. Been riding there like that for 3years and no problems yet.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.