Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Trails near Snowshoe.

1K views 13 replies 8 participants last post by  davis 
#1 ·
Here I have been asking question upon question about Snowshoe when I could be missing out on other great opportunities. My brother and I are hoping to be there and settled in by 5 next Friday. So I was planing on just riding around the village and such but are there any killer XC trails in the near area that aren't directly affiliated with Snowshoe? I can't justify paying for a lift ticket just for an afternoon ride.

If not I am sure we can have some fun just messing around the general area.

#2 ·
Streamline.by.design said:
Here I have been asking question upon question about Snowshoe when I could be missing out on other great opportunities. My brother and I are hoping to be there and settled in by 5 next Friday. So I was planing on just riding around the village and such but are there any killer XC trails in the near area that aren't directly affiliated with Snowshoe? I can't justify paying for a lift ticket just for an afternoon ride.

If not I am sure we can have some fun just messing around the general area.
The Gauley Mountain area, Tea Creek Mtn, Bear Pen Ridge Trail, Boundary, Red Run, Gauley Mtn. Trail, Right Fork, Bannock Shoals, Props Run, etc. These are best accessed off the Highland Scenic Hwy (Rt.150) or Mine Road (off 219 a few miles south of Snowshoe). These are not manicured trails, they are wild cross country trails with everything the mountain can throw at you. Check out the post here for the Slatyfork Shuffle, the trails section for those trails and also I posted lots of pics on each trail on Singletracks.com trail section. Don't bother paying to ride at Snowshoe.

The trail map for this area is invaluable and can be picked up I believe at Snowshoe. However, if it isn't, you can drive into Marlinton and get one off Christy at Dirt Bean bike shop / cafe'.

I describe a fun loop "Bear Pen Modified Loop" on Singletracks.com. It was a bunch of fun. If you like great singletrack downhill and either have two vehicles or don't mind riding up 4 miles of blacktop road you can ride Tea Creek Mountain Trail. It just plain awesome.
Real nasty boulder field at the top of the mountain and then hang off the back of the seatpost to the bottom at Tea Creek Campground.

These are just a few suggestions. If you are looking for a particular trail type we may be able to be more specific.

Props Run is a bunch of fun as well. Just enough technical stuff to keep you honest, 8 miles on a slight downhill grade so you can really get some speed on the smooth stuff.

Soooo Much to ride, sooo little time... Enjoy.

ODN

#3 ·
You can get "the map" at Mountain Valley Properties on Route #66 (near the gas station) and also at the gas station (I think). No need to drive all the way to Marlinton.

Top recommendations:
Gauley Mt/Red Run/Tea Creek Mt
Gauley Mt/Bear Pen/Boundary/Bannock Shoals

Snowshoe's XC trails suck. These are the trails that made Slatyfork a mecca. Enjoy your trip.

#5 ·
Bad thing is the lack of someone to shuttle, there will only be two of us, and the lack of time. If it weren't for the lack of time I would hit Props Run and just ride back to the trail head but 17 miles is not happening in 2 or 3 hours time I doubt. Mainly because from the description my brother and I will want to stop and play on some stuff. Also we are from SC and actually haven't been able to ride for a bit over a month due to work, heat, . . . life lol. So our climbing indurance is at a low, not to mention I don't want to have to bring both DH/FR and XC bikes. My little Matrix just won't have the room lol.

Props Run Trail reads like something we would love to do though. I would also ask if anyone would like to show us around but I can't guarantee that we will get there when we want. 8 hour drive, you never know what might happen.

#6 ·
There is XC on the mountain at Snowshoe, but as others have implied, much of the good stuff has been decimated by jeep trails. If you're pressed for time, however, it may be the way to go. There are still some decent trails here and there. The bad news: if you're unable to shuttle, pretty much any route you take will require some serious climbing.

#7 ·
Tea creek rocks, great loop..
http://www.bikerag.com/images/MAPS/wv_tea_creek_red_run_review.htm

Huckleberry - spruce knob - awesome loop.
http://www.bikerag.com/images/MAPS/wv_huckleberry_spruce_knob_review.htm

RIght on the WV - VA border - Wolf gap, one of my favorites
http://www.bikerag.com/images/MAPS/va_wolf_gap_mill_mountain_stoney_creek_review.htm

Not a big fan of Props run, when I rode it, it was pretty tame, we had a crew of 10, 100% of which were highly dissapointed. Thank god we shuttled it.. But to each his own..

#8 ·
Bad thing is the lack of someone to shuttle, there will only be two of us, and the lack of time. If it weren't for the lack of time I would hit Props Run and just ride back to the trail head but 17 miles is not happening in 2 or 3 hours time I doubt. Mainly because from the description my brother and I will want to stop and play on some stuff. Also we are from SC and actually haven't been able to ride for a bit over a month due to work, heat, . . . life lol. So our climbing indurance is at a low, not to mention I don't want to have to bring both DH/FR and XC bikes. My little Matrix just won't have the room lol.

Props Run Trail reads like something we would love to do though. I would also ask if anyone would like to show us around but I can't guarantee that we will get there when we want. 8 hour drive, you never know what might happen.
OK, couple of options for you.
1) Head to Mine Rd. it is on #219 6 miles south of the intersection of #219 and #66. Drive up Mine Rd. about 4 miles and park in the small lot on your left at the trailhead for Tea Creek Trail. Ride Tea Creek Trail to the first intersection, and go left on the Connector Trail. At Gauley Mt Trail, turn right. Next intersection (about 1 mile) make a right onto Bear Pen Ridge Trail. Follow Bear Pen and cross Tea Creek Trail, then quickly cross Tea Creek about 50 feet later. (Its can be a confusing intersection, apparently). As soon as you cross the water, your technically on Boundary, although the map shows it still being Bear Pen. No matter. Cross the water and follow the blue blazes, until the blaze heads left at Y, ascending through some pines. At this Y, you'll want to go straight and climb a small hill up to an old strip mined area, now revegetated. Turn right at the top and follow the line down. You'll pop out on FR #135. Turn right and ride out about 5 miles to the intersection with Mine Rd, turn right, and return to your car. Very little climbing involved. Two to three hour ride.

2) Head to Mine Rd. and park in the lot immediately on the right after getting on Mine Rd. Ride right on Mine Rd about 50 feet then turn left onto Roaring Run Trail. Ride up Roaring Run until you pop back out onto Mine Rd. Turn left and ride Mine Rd about 1/8 mile, then turn right onto Powerline. Descend Powerline and make a left at first intersection, then right at the next. This pops you back out on Mine Rd about 100 yards above your car. 1-1.5 hours, make two loops if necessary.

I'd offer to show you around, but I have a four month old daughter and getting started that late in the afternoon doesn't really work that well for me. Either of these loops are relatively easy to follow, but still, I wouldn't do the Bear Pen loop without a map.

#9 ·
Bad thing is the lack of someone to shuttle, there will only be two of us, and the lack of time. If it weren't for the lack of time I would hit Props Run and just ride back to the trail head but 17 miles is not happening in 2 or 3 hours time I doubt. Mainly because from the description my brother and I will want to stop and play on some stuff. Also we are from SC and actually haven't been able to ride for a bit over a month due to work, heat, . . .
You would be able to do the Bear Pen Modified Loop without a shuttle and should be able
to do it in that time line. To avoid having to type a long drawn out description of the route
I'll just give basics. If you would like detailed info, go to Singletracks.com, trails, and log
in and see my post there.

Begin ride on FR135 about a mile from Mine Rd. Go back up to Mine road on bikes, then
take Gauley Mtn. Trail off Mine Rd., to Bear Pen Ridge Trail, to Boundary Trail, take a
right at the end of Boundary (at intersection with Bannock Shoals Trail) ride FR135 back
to vehicle. It's about a 16 mile loop. Some technical sections and some fast sections.
There is an overlook about 3/4 the way across Boundary trail (worth a few minutes stop).

You can also do a out and back on Gauley Mtn. Trail although it is mostly used as a
connector trail and is not very difficult, but a nice 10.5 to 11 miles out and back.

Cow Pasture Trail in the Cranberry Glades is about a 8 mile loop trail which has very
little climbing at all but is beautful this time of year. Hope this helps and you get to
enjoy some of the awesome trails this area has to offer. We ride all that has been
mentioned in both posts on XC bikes. No DH/FR stuff necessary.

ODN

#10 ·
All those mentioned are great rides. If you choose to just stay on Snowshoe Mtn and ride, they don't charge for a trail pass if riding cross country and not using the lifts/park. That's the way it was last fall, if it hasn't changed.

#13 ·
Whit Sorry. We are going to be there from the 7th to the 11th but we are going for Snowshoe DH/FR mostly. I was just looking for something to do possibly in the afternoon of the 7th, assuming we get there earlier enough. The rest of the days we will probably be beat by the end of the DH/FR day lol. Tired and physically :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.