Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Snowshoe question.

905 views 10 replies 4 participants last post by  evilimprdr 
#1 ·
Here is an easy one. Are there any lockers or such at the base for stowing food, gear and such? If so is there a cost or does it come with the lift ticket?

Thanks for any information!

#5 ·
We are staying in Camp Four so from what I have been told we are 1 mile from the lifts. I was just wondering for leaving jugs of water close by, but hey two miles round trip is nothing to worry about.

We will be there from Thurs - Monday and riding all day Fri - Sun. What are some highlights that you guys suggest us hitting. I am very interested in freeride style riding and I know the other guys, and myself, will be hitting the DH fairly heavy. The cross country we will save for another time maybe. Although we are from down here in the south and not used to many hills we have had a blast at Sugar for a couple years. This year our skills and "big boy" pants are definitely bigger and better.

I can't find a trial map online which seems odd but I guess I can grab one on Thurs when we get there.

Also, my brother and I will be getting there mid-afternoon on Thurs. Is there anywhere on the lower mountain to play and tweak our bikes?

Thanks for any advice or links to threads that may help! Oh and if anyone is up to riding the 8th - 10th we would love a guide.

#6 ·
There are two sides of the mountain to ride. The Bike Park is the freeride section, with lots of short, technical (rocks, roots) runs with features (teeter, drops, skinnies, etc.). This is serviced by the Ballhooter lift. The other side of the mountain, the Western Territory, is DH. It is serviced by a bus shuttle on Friday and the lift Sat-Sun (best to stick with the Park side on Friday...waiting for the bus sucks). If you're riding the Western side, you can probably park your car in the Whistlepunk condos lot, which is right across from the lift. For the Park side, there is also parking that is pretty close. Hit the bike shop in the main Village to get a map. There isn't much at the bottom of the mountain...Snowshoe is a reverse resort, where everything is on the mountain top, vs. the base.

#8 ·
I've told others this on another site and I'll say the same to you. The trail map they have is junk, you can't hardly make anything of it. The good part is you don't need it. There is only one lift on either side and everything funnels to the lifts. It's pretty hard to get lost there. The lif ton the western runs fri-sun. The shuttle isn't bad you add about 1/4mi. of trail to get to the shuttle pick up. Really you need to ride the shuttle atleast once and make sure you get on the short bus. Thats Carey and he'll give you a trip up the mountain about as fun as going down the mountain. Give him a tip and your day will be better. When the shuttle or shuttles(depending if there running 1 or 2) they run on 30 min scheadule. Most people I know get off and get down and only have to wait about 5 mins. Gives ya a nice chance to catch your breath and get a drink of water. They have a water cooler down there so you can get some water. Shuttle runs Wed. and Thur. Nothing on Mon. and Tues.

When looking down the mountain at the ballhooter lift the best northshore stuff is to your right. Head down the gravel road and start taking the runs. Everything on the basin side is labeled by letters. A-L are right and M-O are left. The only named trail on the basin is Yew-Pine and it's a green run, but it's the longest on the basin side. It's to your left along w/ the DS course.

On the Western side my favorite run consites of these trails in order........Ninja Bob to Ball n' Jack to Powerline. Ninja is a nice fast steep rootty section. Ball n' Jack is fast and pretty much all rocks w/ a nice rock drop about 3/4 of the way down(I heard that this trail has been redone about a week and half ago and is 10 times better). Powerline is fast w/ lots of banked turns, and table tops in it. Very smooth about 90% of the run, but carry a bunch of speed. Pro course is nice and has a huge hip jump on it and gets crazy steep after the hip when you enter back into the woods.

Be sure to have lunch or dinner at the Red Rover(AKA hot dog stand) in the village. Tell Derick Matt said whats up and he'll have some tshirts in a few weeks. The best part is you just ride your bike all day. When the trails close you go get a shower and ride back up to the village for some night life. The best part I think is you really don't have to worry about your bike. I parked mine out side the hotdog stand for like 3 hours on evening and walked around. Nobody messes w/ anybodys bike. I asked my buddy I went with if I needed a lock to lock bikes up if we went into a bar or something and he said nope. I trusted him since that was his first weekend on his 303 and he wasn't worried about it so neither was I.

Heres a little peek of ball n jack and powerline and some pics of the mountain.

#11 ·
brainbckt said:
Good info evil, but one correction: most weekends the Western lift runs Saturday and Sunday (not Friday). Friday, it's the shuttle bus...
I believe the lift runs on Friday's of race weekends atleast. One of my friends just got back from 2 1/2 week stent down there(lucky bastard) so I'll verify lift/shuttle days.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.